Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer
  • 1 Post By Shurm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2014, 13:57   #1
Senior Member+

Old Accrington Fire Station

The old Accrington Fire Station is another Grade II Listed building of stone construction with a flat roof.The property has a prominent frontage to Manchester Road, however there is a substantial yard area to the rear, which allows direct access into the building. There are also a series of out buildings.

History:
The first Brigade in Accrington was formed in 1853 with 12 firemen. Accrington was divided in two areas at the time - old Accrington gave £120 and new Accrington gave £340 for the provision of a fire house and pump at Old Mill, Grange Lane. In 1867 provision was made to site the fire appliances at a fire station at the rear of the new Market Hall, and in 1934 the Brigade moved to its site on Manchester Road in a building which combined Police/Law Court, Ambulance and Fire Station where it remained until April 2002.
On 6 April 2002 the new Hyndburn Community Fire Station was opened for operational duties by Sir Graham Meldrum, HM Chief Inspector of Fire Services. The new station was built on the former Sharn Hall lodge site off Hyndburn Road, Church as part of the Government led initiative of Public Private Finance partnerships.

ENJOY

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg
wadey likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2014, 22:46   #2

Re: Old Accrington Fire Station

Your brave with the Cop Shop next door !!

That place looks like a fire hazard
Accyexplorer likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 15:30   #3
Senior Member+

Old 07-09-2014, 16:50   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Would have been a better vid if you'd left the lens cap on.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:03   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Would have been a better vid if you'd left the lens cap on.
I know where your coming from R.
I started recording with the intent on having a quick look at the out building then I was going to climb the tower but I didn't want to get dirty so I gave it a miss and edited the clip

P.s my phone didn't come with a lens cap.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..