Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 13:51   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Can we get back to the thread which is about street names?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2013, 14:09   #152
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Can we get back to the thread which is about street names?
Yessir, Sergeant Dobson! It's a thread wander, the like of which Accyweb is renowned for.
Old 10-01-2013, 23:31   #153
Senior Member+

Orange St: I researched this in the library today. It was laid out in 1860s. Plans show that other nearby streets were intended - Port and Lemon. However, the Port was opposite to Pilot St, so is not drink-related. They were all on land owned by the exors of Rev Charles Whitaker, vicar of Downham. Thus it is clear who Whitaker St is so called. I cannot explain Stuart St as yet.Sometimes called Stewart St. Port St became Moss Hall Rd

Queensborough St was called Marshall St as late as 1885

Brown St was laid out in 1871 on land owned by John Hargreaves and called The Preist Heys Estate. This was name of a fine house up Willows Lane, further up than Richmond Hill Rd. Land adjacent was owned by St James' Church. Strange that Brown St was next to and parallel with Crown St. Peter St was on same land as Brown Street.
cmonstanley likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 21:17   #154
Senior Member+

I am interested in Queens Rd . The name first appears in the 1911 census thiough I was expecting something in 1901 or even 1891, as I had thought that the name would have been started, using Marshall St (?) near Whalley Rd and Pennyhouse Lane at the Burnley Rd end after the 1887 Jubilee or perhaps 1902 when Victoria died.
Old 11-01-2013, 23:47   #155
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I am interested in Queens Rd . The name first appears in the 1911 census thiough I was expecting something in 1901 or even 1891, as I had thought that the name would have been started, using Marshall St (?) near Whalley Rd and Pennyhouse Lane at the Burnley Rd end after the 1887 Jubilee or perhaps 1902 when Victoria died.
Interesting. The Victoria Hospital was opened in 1897/8 but that doesn't mean Queens Road had to be there then.

Only the houses opposite the hospital look to me to be early 1900s, it seems the first to be built was Glen Wold. Most of the other houses on the road look like 1920s 0r 30s and interestingly it's one of the few roads in Accrington where most of the houses are built largely of brick rather than stone.

Glen Wold, Accrington Image at PastPlaces
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.anc...wold/page2.htm

On Google Streetview the railway bridge at Penny House lane has an inscription which says it was rebuilt in 1935 and I reckon the houses on the RHS of Queens Road as you look towards Burnley Road date from around that time. I use to live in one of them, between Marlborough and Nutter Roads, when I was at school.

Never heard of Marshall Street, where was that?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42   #156
Senior Member+

Quick answer.Off Whalley Rd at Dyke Nook. I am looking into why it was so called. Marshal probably had some connection with Rev Charles Whitaker, vicar of Downham and Simonstone.
Old 12-01-2013, 13:19   #157
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Quick answer.Off Whalley Rd at Dyke Nook. I am looking into why it was so called. Marshal probably had some connection with Rev Charles Whitaker, vicar of Downham and Simonstone.
Quote:
Queensborough St was called Marshall St as late as 1885
Sorry missed that bit in your previous post. Presume you mean Queensborough Road? Wonder where that name came from? Off the top of my head, most of the development north of Queens Road and east of Whalley Road is mid 20c or later - bungalowville. The houses behind the other side of Whalley Road eg Whitaker Street, seem a bit earlier.

This is a real nostalgia trip for me, used to walk up to the high school every day from Queens Road/Whalley Road opp the cong church when we moved there.
Old 13-01-2013, 20:47   #158
Senior Member+

Susie I haven't kept notes so cannot answer Queens or Queensborough. I will need to look at what I have written on the cards in the library. No thougHts yet on Marshall. There was a prominent pharmacist in Acc mid-century - Gervase Marshall .
Old 13-01-2013, 21:13   #159

Talking of streets running off Whalley Road, Lancaster Avenue used to be called Bayley Street, and only went as far as Pansy Street North, all the rest was fields, and thats in my mums time 1930 onwards. This has probably already been discussed on previous threads no doubt.
Old 13-01-2013, 21:30   #160
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
Talking of streets running off Whalley Road, Lancaster Avenue used to be called Bayley Street, and only went as far as Pansy Street North, all the rest was fields, and thats in my mums time 1930 onwards. This has probably already been discussed on previous threads no doubt.
Post No 24 in this long-running thread covers Bayley St becoming Lancaster Ave. I think it was shameful to change the name, as Rev Bayley was a leader and force for good in the history of education in our town.
Old 15-01-2013, 22:07   #161
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sorry missed that bit in your previous post. Presume you mean Queensborough Road? Wonder where that name came from? Off the top of my head, most of the development north of Queens Road and east of Whalley Road is mid 20c or later - bungalowville. The houses behind the other side of Whalley Road eg Whitaker Street, seem a bit earlier.

This is a real nostalgia trip for me, used to walk up to the high school every day from Queens Road/Whalley Road opp the cong church when we moved there.
I've confirmed that Marshall St became Queensborough Rd. Nearby Ellerbeck Rd used to be called Charles St. Charles was first name of Rev Whitaker, whose land these two streets were built on. However, the name Ellerbeck is the name of the house near Clitheroe in which lived Miss Slinger, related in some way to Mr (Major?) Slinger who apears to have bought the land from Whitaker's executors and re-named the streets. These streets were on the Laneside Estate. One of the streets on it was intended to be called Slinger Rd but was later changed. I've forgotten which one and will need to look it up. Watch this space
Old 15-01-2013, 22:53   #162
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I've confirmed that Marshall St became Queensborough Rd. Nearby Ellerbeck Rd used to be called Charles St. Charles was first name of Rev Whitaker, whose land these two streets were built on. However, the name Ellerbeck is the name of the house near Clitheroe in which lived Miss Slinger, related in some way to Mr (Major?) Slinger who apears to have bought the land from Whitaker's executors and re-named the streets. These streets were on the Laneside Estate. One of the streets on it was intended to be called Slinger Rd but was later changed. I've forgotten which one and will need to look it up. Watch this space
Were they connected to Slingers butchers? When I was at the high school 1957-64 we had a teacher called Mrs Rhoda Slinger and I think her sons were the butchers. They lived in a big house on Whalley Road - looking at google streetview I think it was the RH one of the pair of tall red brick houses facing the end of Livingstone Road. She later married Sir William Cocker. See second picture down:

New Page 1

BTW any idea why that area has the name Oaklea or is it Oakleigh?
Old 15-01-2013, 23:09   #163
Senior Member+

I'm not sure if these are the same Slingers. Rhoda's husband was a butcher. His brother was a solicitor. Her son Edward is a recently-retired judge. Her other two lads ran the butchering business. I will enquire. I cannot help with Oaklea/Oakleigh
Old 15-01-2013, 23:17   #164
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I'm not sure if these are the same Slingers. Rhoda's husband was a butcher. His brother was a solicitor. Her son Edward is a recently-retired judge. Her other two lads ran the butchering business. I will enquire. I cannot help with Oaklea/Oakleigh
Thanks Bob for confirming my memories.
Old 15-01-2013, 23:28   #165
I am Banned

Quote:
I've confirmed that Marshall St became Queensborough Rd. Nearby Ellerbeck Rd used to be called Charles St.
It was going to be called Charles St but it never came to be.
Charles was first name of Rev Whitaker, whose land these two streets were built on. However, the name Ellerbeck is the name of the house near Clitheroe in which lived Miss Slinger, related in some way to Mr (Major?) Slinger who apears to have bought the land from Whitaker's executors and re-named the streets. These streets were on the Laneside Estate. One of the streets on it was intended to be called Slinger Rd but was later changed. I've forgotten which one and will need to look it up. Watch this space
Let me know by PM when your next in the Library, I have a map you might want to look at. It will explain about the missing streets, and name changes.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..