Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2009, 16:51   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.
Retlaw will probably tell of his excavating this Abbey St/Grange Rd one.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2009, 17:34   #77
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.
I've already said my piece on the so called tunnels tunnels around Black Abbey St area in another thread on this subject. They NEVER existed.It would have needed ton of explosives to get through the rock under Accrington, and the monks did'nt have any.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 23:40   #78

Quote:
It's nothing like the Bond Street, London that you will be familiar with on your trips to the capital buying flash jewellery. See shurmer p13 J7 - on the Blackburn rd side of the railway linetop of Grimshaw St. Don't know if it's Dale or Lower Antley St there. I don't think there'll be any houses. If you walked around instead of riding in flashy cars and other motorised transport, you'dda known. Am so pleased I've told you summat you didn't know about Acc. Watch this space.

For the benefit of others - Atarah has contributed greatly to the card index of street names kept in the library.
It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 11:37   #79
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accypete View Post
It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?
Plantation St.
Retlaw.
Old 28-10-2010, 19:49   #80

Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 20:03   #81
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf
No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.
Old 28-10-2010, 20:17   #82
Senior Member+

But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.

Last edited by Atarah; 28-10-2010 at 20:19.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 21:28   #83
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.
NEVER, as far as I'm concerned its either Huncote or Huncoyte, and that present day spelling is because some one dropped a clanger.

All references in my files are spelt Huncote, as it should be.
Just checked and the place refered to was owned by William de Huncote, son of Elias de Billington, and signed over to the Monks of Kirkstall, as so named.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-10-2010 at 21:35.
Old 28-10-2010, 21:32   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:

I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s
Old 28-10-2010, 21:41   #85
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s
The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-10-2010 at 21:44.
Old 29-10-2010, 07:37   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.
Mum's the word.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-36807-2.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:50   #87
Give, give, give member

Taking of local names, although not a street one, Altham was mentioned on the BBC TV news the other night.

The newsreader pronounced it as Alt-ham, which sounded wrong, as most people round here say Alth-am.

Thinking about it, he was right, as ham means homestead in Old English, and we've just changed it, because it rolls off the Lancashire tongue easier.

Any others?

Ozzel-twistle is one I can think of.

Last edited by garinda; 29-10-2010 at 07:58.
Old 29-10-2010, 08:46   #88
Resting in Peace

Always amused me when presenters on Radio, etc., pronounced Whalley as Wally.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:04   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yup, that's another.

I was born a Wally.

Ooops, in Wally

Old 29-10-2010, 09:06   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Think that could be about right Kate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..