Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2013, 22:37   #166
I am Banned

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I've confirmed that Marshall St became Queensborough Rd. Nearby Ellerbeck Rd used to be called Charles St. Charles was first name of Rev Whitaker, whose land these two streets were built on. However, the name Ellerbeck is the name of the house near Clitheroe in which lived Miss Slinger, related in some way to Mr (Major?) Slinger who apears to have bought the land from Whitaker's executors and re-named the streets. These streets were on the Laneside Estate. One of the streets on it was intended to be called Slinger Rd but was later changed. I've forgotten which one and will need to look it up. Watch this space
Major Slinger lost two sons in WW1, he lived at the top of Rough Lee Rd, in what became the maternity hospital.
He was one of the oficers in th 11th East Lancs but Rickman sidelined him into the 12th East Lancs.
At one time Slinger lived at Ellerbeck, Hollins Lane. Source WO339/16466. P.R.O.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2013, 08:35   #167
Senior Member+

Reyt. It likely will be Thursday next week.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 21:49   #168
Senior Member+

I wonder who WALTER Street was named after? :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 11:23   #169
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I wonder who WALTER Street was named after? :-)
I would like to think that it was named after Retlaw, (Walter spelled back'ards) but I feel sure that the Peel family,who owned the land Walter St is built on, named it after one of their sons. His names were Walter Spencer, so Spencer St may be named after him too ( on their land), just as William St and Robert St are named after other sons. . It is interesting too that next to Walter St is Oxford St, and near to Spencer St is Cambridge St.
Old 17-01-2013, 19:12   #170
Full Member+

Was Canning Street named after a person or possibly a trade ie in the engineering field
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 19:25   #171
Senior Member+

I suspect it is one of the streets named after a politician - George Cannning was a minister. died 1827. I'll look further into this. There are no other streets that I am aware of which are named after trades.
Old 17-01-2013, 21:27   #172
I am Banned

Quote:
I suspect it is one of the streets named after a politician - George Cannning was a minister. died 1827. I'll look further into this. There are no other streets that I am aware of which are named after trades.
What about Colliers Row.
Old 17-01-2013, 22:15   #173
Senior Member+

I think that Colliers Row is not a street but is a block of houses within a street. The word Row is probably applied to one block rather than more than one. I realise that Rotten Row, where Judy Garland was snapped by photographers may differ from this.

Ive just checked Shurmer's Guide. It seems to agree with me.
Old 17-01-2013, 23:02   #174
I am Banned

Quote:
I think that Colliers Row is not a street but is a block of houses within a street. The word Row is probably applied to one block rather than more than one. I realise that Rotten Row, where Judy Garland was snapped by photographers may differ from this.

Ive just checked Shurmer's Guide. It seems to agree with me.
Doesn't matter whether its a street, row or terrace its named after a trade, thats what you were originally on about. Trades.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:11   #175
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Doesn't matter whether its a street, row or terrace its named after a trade, thats what you were originally on about. Trades.
.................................................. ............

Apologies Walter, I ha missed that point. Quite possibly these cottages were built ( also Colliers Court off Nutall St and Collier St in Ossie) to house miners. Some rows of hoiuses were named after the builder or landowner, though I'm not aware of a Collier family in early to mid-century.
Old 19-01-2013, 13:19   #176
Senior Member+

I mentioned Marshall St a few postings back . There is a Marshall St in Huncoat. The connection between them is that the Whitaker family of Simonstone Hall owned both pieces of land they were built on. I am pursuiing who Mr Marshall was.A solicitor or other profession ?
Old 19-01-2013, 19:03   #177
Senior Member+

I am sure we once had a well known CHEMIST called Gervais Marshall. Will have to search in my notes on old Accrington.
Old 19-01-2013, 19:18   #178
Senior Member+

Re Gervais Marshall - still thinking .... Oak Street rings a bell.
Old 19-01-2013, 19:38   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I am sure we once had a well known CHEMIST called Gervais Marshall. Will have to search in my notes on old Accrington.
Yes, there was a chemist of this name (Gervas) I had ruled him out for some reason, but will reconsider him. He is in the book 'Accrington Men of Mark' He was a Baptist, not a Congo, which is what Oak St was. His shop was on Blackburn Rd

This is the second pharmacy-related posting of Atarah's today.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:48   #180
Senior Member+

It has been pointed out to me to me that Marshall St in Huncoat is much more recent than Rev Whitaker's era. So I looked up my 1951 directory -= Mr Marshall was a farmer at Back Lane farm.

Still in Huncoat - the Griffin's Head is so called because of the connection of the Grimshaw family with the township.Their heraldic crest is a griffin's head.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..