Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2011, 17:03   #1

The Ibbets - Oswaldtwistle

Does anyone happen to know where a place called The Ibbets in Oswaldtwistle would have been? In the parish records for Church Kirk from the 1700's, this place is given as the abode for several of my Riley family. I would be interested in knowing precisely where and/or what it was.
ttwood49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2011, 21:49   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The Ibbets - Oswaldtwistle

Sorry, never heard of it.

But see it's listed as 'Ye Ibbets', 'The Ibbets', and 'Above the Ibbets'.

Is mentioned on these two sites.
(Sorry had a quick scan, but too much to read through right now.)

'Ibbet- son (but not from Inclination) together with Harry Baynes, ...... B. Haslewood, Vicar of Oswaldtwistle, and son of the later Rector of Ribchester, ...'
Full text of "The antiquary"

'fSir Henry John Selwin-Ibbet- son, Bart. (C.) 4659 Edward Broiighton ...... Church, Clayton- le-Moors, Ha^ton, Huncoat, Oswaldtwistle, and Ruhton.;
Full text of "Debrett's House of Commons"

Hopefully someone might know, and will be able to offer you better information.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 22:08   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Her biography was an amazing book, though the second half was very heavily political.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...m-p-49048.html

Happily the first half of the book was mainly about the old homesteads and families of Oswaldtwistle, before the arrival of cotton, and from whom Margaret McKay was decended.

I'll reread it, and see if there's any mention of the Ibbets.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 22:44   #4
God Member

Bloody hell! I thought for a moment I'd read the 'Gibbets' in Ossy! But no surprise really..any town that bungs it's stocks up right outside it's library front door has to be sending a message.

Ibbets...Gibbets...Stocks... the entire place is populated by a bunch of criminals..always has been..always shall be.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 12:00   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwood49 View Post
Does anyone happen to know where a place called The Ibbets in Oswaldtwistle would have been? In the parish records for Church Kirk from the 1700's, this place is given as the abode for several of my Riley family. I would be interested in knowing precisely where and/or what it was.
There appear to have been a lot of families living in Ibbets or above Ibbets in the Church Kirk Records, quite a number of them are recorded as Potters.
As people tended to live close to there work place, it may have been some where near Holden's Potteries. In Ossy Mills there is a display of estate plans, common land, and the land holdings of Oswaldtwistle, the name of the chap who put up the display is there. He may be able to help.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 12:13   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Had another look at the Riley family of Ibbets, in the Church Kirk Records, the first mention of them being at Ibbets, is in 1749, the last entry is 1784.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:20   #7

Unfortunately I am in the US and can’t get to Ossy Mills but I was considering the Pottery angle myself. I know that prior to the family being in the Ibbets, they were living at Townbent and in the 1790’s my branch was in Bedlam. In between these two, around Green Haworth, were two places referred to as Bothom and Top where some of the Riley’s were born (My 4x-gr grandfather was living in Botham at the time of his marriage in 1778) . There were a couple of places in this area on the 1840 era map marked Potteries which I was thinking may be where the Ibbets was.

I think that Jeffrey Riley born in1749 may have been the brother of my 4x-gr grand father James who was born in Ibbets in 1755.
Old 16-08-2011, 21:21   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry, never heard of it.

But see it's listed as 'Ye Ibbets', 'The Ibbets', and 'Above the Ibbets'.

Is mentioned on these two sites.
(Sorry had a quick scan, but too much to read through right now.)

'Ibbet- son (but not from Inclination) together with Harry Baynes, ...... B. Haslewood, Vicar of Oswaldtwistle, and son of the later Rector of Ribchester, ...'
Full text of "The antiquary"

'fSir Henry John Selwin-Ibbet- son, Bart. (C.) 4659 Edward Broiighton ...... Church, Clayton- le-Moors, Ha^ton, Huncoat, Oswaldtwistle, and Ruhton.;
Full text of "Debrett's House of Commons"

Hopefully someone might know, and will be able to offer you better information.

thats my surname

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:43   #9

Thumbs up Re: The Ibbets - Oswaldtwistle

Hi
I know this is an old thread but I read it and thought you may be interested in my input.

My family ironically called Riley, live at Hibberts Farm, which is just above Rough Hey an old country road located in Broadfield.

Hibberts Farm, which has a colourful history of once being a Pub (The Boleyn Butcher) and the home to potters called Riley in the 18th century.

Hibberts farm is opposite a pond called the "Blunger", a blunger being an old horse drawn machine to separate stones from clay to create a clean/pure clay. This pond was connected by a small canal that ran to another pond that was located where the garage is just above Pothouse lane, these ponds were clay pits. This one was filled in years ago. There is evidence of another clay pit in the trees above the Blunger, there were remains of railway tracks there in the 70s,for small gauge, probably mule pulled trucks to move the clay. If you dig anywhere in the area of the Blunger there are thousands of shards of broken earthenware pottery just below the surface.
In the field above Hibberts Farm there was extensive evidence of extraction of clay, this was filled in, in the early 70s.

I read your posts with interest and hope I have answered your query.
Regards
Al
El Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11   #10
Senior Member+

I missed this thread the first time round ad have found it very interesting.
sm_counsell and wadey like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:36   #11

The deeds of my house show a name change originally ibbots now Hibberts farm 42 Broadfield ossie.
Ice cream Eddie 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:58   #12

Smile Re: The Ibbets - Oswaldtwistle

Quote:
Unfortunately I am in the US and can’t get to Ossy Mills but I was considering the Pottery angle myself. I know that prior to the family being in the Ibbets, they were living at Townbent and in the 1790’s my branch was in Bedlam. In between these two, around Green Haworth, were two places referred to as Bothom and Top where some of the Riley’s were born (My 4x-gr grandfather was living in Botham at the time of his marriage in 1778) . There were a couple of places in this area on the 1840 era map marked Potteries which I was thinking may be where the Ibbets was.

I think that Jeffrey Riley born in1749 may have been the brother of my 4x-gr grand father James who was born in Ibbets in 1755.
Thanks, ttwood49, for inadvertently helping me to locate the area which was known as Top, or Tops. In researching my family history I've found an Alice Riley who lived with her family at Tops, Oswaldtwistle at the 1851 census.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 20:11   #13

I started this thread several years ago and had a few initial responses but since then had no idea that there were additional replies more recently. Since my initial post, I have continued to try to get some information on the Ibbits but without much success. As part of my search I made contact with John at the Accrington Library and just today he sent me some information about an old newspaper article he found mentioning the Ibbits in connection with an old ice cream factory and Hibberts farm. From that I started to search on these additional terms in Google and it led me back to this thread and the new posts. I'm especially interested in the ones from El Al, Ice Cream Eddie and David which I will address separately. My immediate question relates to the Accrington Web. I thought I would get an e-mail message when someone adds to a thread that I started. If that is not the case, how do you know when someone responds.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26   #14
Resting in Peace

I have sent you a PM explaining how to get a notification when someone posts
I could have set it up for you but if I did that you would not know what to change if you need to alter it in the future
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..