Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2009, 19:59   #31

Re: Woodnook mill.

Wouldn't it be nice to restore it to a wooded valley?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2009, 23:36   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to restore it to a wooded valley?

Is that what it once was. Looks like it's going to be housing now I'm afraid. More money in building houses than wooded valleys unfortunately.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:56   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Is that what it once was. Looks like it's going to be housing now I'm afraid. More money in building houses than wooded valleys unfortunately.

Looks like it probably was at one time Bernard :

woodnook mill.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 13:05   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Looks like it probably was at one time Bernard :

Attachment 14883

What date would the map be Kate? It looks a lot better on the map than it does at the moment.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 13:09   #35
God Member

Property developers are strapped for cash at the moment so I can't see anything getting built in the near future. It will just be left derelict - another place for 'travellers' to park.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 22:58   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
What date would the map be Kate? It looks a lot better on the map than it does at the moment.
I think Bernard is probably from the map of c.1890 .. doesn't actually say on the Mario map's site, but linked to LCC .. who only seem to have this map ?

I can't find any maps that would show the fully wooden area before construction of the Woodnook Mill ...
Old 24-11-2009, 12:25   #37
Senior Member+

Woodnook mill.

Less and less to see now.

As Katex mentioned, its this weekend and the following two when the major demolition will be taking place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WoodnookMill24Nov2009_02.JPG (110.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg WoodnookMill24Nov2009_04.JPG (112.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg WoodnookMill24Nov2009_10.JPG (124.7 KB, 36 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 19:19   #38
Resting in Peace

Don't be sad Atarah .. was a horrible dank, dark, cold building. To say nothing of the spirits the cleaners used to report roaming the corridors ...

Hated going in there ... old lifts, stone floors on the first floor, creaky floors the others, blooming draughty and cold .. no feel good factor like some old mills.

I will cheer when they have finally reduced it to rubble.

Don't think the chimney is the original either .. was an application in 2000 to rebuild.
Old 24-11-2009, 22:00   #39
Beacon of light

I don't recall the chimney being rebuilt in my lifetime......my Ma lives up on Riley's Hill and I am sure I would've remembered if there had been any major rebuilding of the chimney.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 22:26   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't recall the chimney being rebuilt in my lifetime......my Ma lives up on Riley's Hill and I am sure I would've remembered if there had been any major rebuilding of the chimney.
Not sure Margaret ... was just an application in 2000 . don't know whether went ahead or not ?

'Planning history
11/00/0346 Erection of new chimney – approved conditionally 23.10.00'
Old 25-11-2009, 18:47   #41

Did the railway run down the Eastern side of Woodnook? It's not really clear on Google Earth
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 20:09   #42
Beacon of light

I am not sure which is the eastern side, but if it is any help, the railway ran at the back of the mills.

I checked with Ma about the chimney and there has been no major building work done on the chimney for many years.......it was shortened, but that was many years ago...so it looks as if the planning permission was not acted upon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 22:04   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

I checked with Ma about the chimney and there has been no major building work done on the chimney for many years.......it was shortened, but that was many years ago...so it looks as if the planning permission was not acted upon.
Yes, Margaret .. spoken to somebody today who said as above ... wouldn't have made sense anyway .. the bleaching and dyeing was dwindling then. Rock on yer ma ...
Old 25-11-2009, 22:54   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Did the railway run down the Eastern side of Woodnook? It's not really clear on Google Earth
the line ran oer a bridge on nuttall street wadey, was red brick walls just before the cafe that was/is? going towards factory bottom, if that helps, it ran up where that footpath is towards bash.
Old 26-11-2009, 10:41   #45
Junior Member+

The erection of a new chimney may have been the steel chimney that came out of the boilerhouse roof,the brick chimney was probably built around 1860,its built with sand and lime mortar,black mortar ,ash and lime became the prefared mortar just after that date...
TOM PHILLIPS is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..