Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 18:28   #151
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Woodnook mill.

Worked at both Highams n Warbys, was as ugly inside as out, i'm wi bernard n margaret r on that.
Old 11-12-2009, 19:13   #152
Beacon of light

Margaret, nowhere in my post did I refer to them as 'the good old days'......my observation was simply that these two factories provided employment for many of the local people.......my own parents being among them......and because it provided work, it meant that we got to eat.

It is a part of the local fabric of life, and while you may have considered the building to be ugly, it had a purpose.
The houses that will be built on the land that is 'liberated' will also have a purpose, but little in the way of 'character'.......and character doesn't imply beauty......but something entirely different.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 19:19   #153
Beacon of light

Personally, I didn't consider the building to be ugly.......and I saw the inside too.
It was an industrial edifice, fit for the purpose for which it was built.

Many other industrial buildings were equally ugly(if you want to see them as such) but have been sensitively treated to convert them to other uses.
Old 11-12-2009, 19:28   #154
God Member

I find it difficult to raise any feeling for this demolition other than good riddance.
My grandparents on both sides were weavers. My dad was a tackler, and my mother was a weaver.
I had an uncle who died when I was seven, when the upper storey of a mill collapsed and crushed him whilst he was working.
My dad had a hernia and slipped disc due to the lifting.
I recall my dad going to work with a plaster cast from his hip to his ankle(damaged knees from crawling under looms).
Both my parents had occupational deafness (only recently recognised as an industrial disease).
Byssinosis was a cotton lung disease often not diagnosed (no health service then)
To me, the chimneys are sad reminders of suffering. I will be glad when they are all gone.

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-12-2009 at 19:34.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:07   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Many other industrial buildings were equally ugly(if you want to see them as such) but have been sensitively treated to convert them to other uses.
I think the original intention from the purchasers of Woodnook Mills was to convert it into a mixed use development, however, didn't have enough takers ... couldn't leave it to rot with no projected income, so what else could be done ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 17:57   #156
Beacon of light

I guess the current financial climate didn't help much.....and the situation of the place couldn't really be described as a beauty spot......if there had been a pretty view or a stretch of calming water then it might have been a different story.
Old 12-12-2009, 18:03   #157
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I guess the current financial climate didn't help much.....and the situation of the place couldn't really be described as a beauty spot......if there had been a pretty view or a stretch of calming water then it might have been a different story.
I had to chuckle at that.
The Waterside (puddleside) flats haven't been a success either.
I suppose they have demolished in the interests of safety, but redeveloping the site will undoubtedly be 'on hold'.

Old 12-12-2009, 18:07   #158
Beacon of light

My family have a long history of working in the cotton mills......my paternal grandfather was a screen printer at Broad Oak Works, My auntie was a weaver, my uncle made the machinery that spun the cotton, both my parents were weavers at Highams Mill, I was a weaver of jacquard fabric before I went into the Nursing profession, so I guess I have a background that has much to do with the cotton trade.......and yes the health and welfare of the workers sometimes left a lot to be desired (there was a works nurse at Highams Mill)......but there was a cameraderie among the workers, they were like a family, they had a laugh at work(though I know the work was hard)......the children of the workers always got a trip to the seaside in summer, a panto and a Christmas Party at the Cotton Club.......and my father considered that he earned a fair wage.......it kept us fed and clothed anyway.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 12-12-2009 at 18:11.
Old 12-12-2009, 18:10   #159
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I had to chuckle at that.
The Waterside (puddleside) flats haven't been a success either.
I suppose they have demolished in the interests of safety, but redeveloping the site will undoubtedly be 'on hold'.
Yes Margaret, you are right about those flats.....they are new build and they are totally devoid of character.
I would not want to live in them, but that has a lot to do with the area....and I think that the houses which are to be built on the land that will be free once the factory is gone completely will suffer the same fate......for a variety of reasons.
Old 12-12-2009, 19:05   #160

Woodnook has slid down the evolutionary scale in the last 10/15 years, due to the absentee landlords mostly, and the vermin who are moving in (it's such a shame)....but since I moved from there in May I have seen a shocking change, there seems to be more pikies, more alcoholics and more junkies, and more scummy teens.....I loved my house but I'm well out of it now.
Old 12-12-2009, 19:28   #161
Beacon of light

Yes Lynx, that is one of the reasons why I feel that the proposed housing development will be a flop.
I haven't lived in that area for over 40 years, but my Ma has lived there for 60+ years and she comments on the low life and scum who have moved into what were once lovely houses, with proud residents.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:28   #162
God Member

Is that enormous eyesore still standing?

Old 14-12-2009, 13:00   #163
Junior Member+

I will be dropping the chimney this week sometime, will keep you posted, steeplejack
John Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:01   #164
Senior Member+

Mr Warburton, thank you!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:25   #165
Senior Member+

Mon 14th Dec 09 - few more piccy's, less and less to photograph now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09a.jpg (218.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09b.jpg (230.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09c.jpg (191.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09d.jpg (195.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09e.jpg (235.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Mon14thdec09f.jpg (228.3 KB, 24 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..