Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2009, 18:28   #196
Resting in Peace

Re: Woodnook mill.

All brilliant stuff from our members ... love it.

Hey John, made the front page of our local paper ... fame is yours ...

Watched the Hapton one too on the Telegraph site .. that was one heck of a construction eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2009, 19:50   #197
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warburton View Post
Hi TactZilla, great footage any chance of a copy i was that busy i hadn't time to set my camera. just watched it and it does look like you had the best spot to film. John
Have sent you a private message John.

B
TacTZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 20:27   #198

Some cracking work been done, shame I don't live there anymore, my old house had a cracking view, other side of the old railway line.......but you lot have come through........great stuff
Old 17-12-2009, 21:11   #199
Junior Member+

Big thankyou to TacTZilla, and glad you enjoyed the Hapton Chimney Katex, speak to you all soon John
John Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 21:39   #200
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
And the last few ....

and the one still standing on Victoria Street.
Seemingly, this was part of Higham's Mill Atarah at one time, for one of their boilers.
Old 18-12-2009, 07:26   #201
Full Member+

Question Re: Woodnook mill.

Which mill had the tallest chimney in Hyndburn?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 08:47   #202
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Which mill had the tallest chimney in Hyndburn?
Eeew good question Morecambe ... sea level or ground level ? ...
Old 18-12-2009, 12:27   #203
Full Member+

I was thinking about the height above ground level but what dictated the height each one had to be.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 14:12   #204
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I was thinking about the height above ground level but what dictated the height each one had to be.
The tallest chimney I've ever climbed was a 200 footer, at a mill in Heapy Clough Chorley.

The two tallest in Acc would probably be Broad Oak Print Works and Bulloughs. Broad Oak had 6 Lancashire boilers and generated their own electricity.
The bricks used in chimneys are not your common house brick, they were moulded to curve in the diameter of the chimney, starting with the largest diam at the bottom, sometimes 12 or more rows at the bottom, tapering as it went up to 6 rows at the top. 1/2 million bricks.

I worked with Fred Cooper a steeplejack from Blackburn, he could do a five foot rise in a day, two of us stacking bricks and mortar at the 4 corners on the platform while he laid the bricks, and you had to work hard to keep up with him, two more blokes at the bottom loading bricks and mortar on the hoist, operated by Bill Seed, and two more blokes mixing mortar and unloading the bricks from the lorries.
When that was done it was back to Fred's workshop to make the steel bands for the top 50 ft
all the diameters of the chimneys he ever worked on were marked out on the loft floor, and we put the steel plate through the rollers on the bending machine till it had the right curve, then drill the ends for the bolts and then bend the ends to the right angle to join up and pull tight on the chimney at the right place.
Then back to the chimney a week later, after the mortar had chance to set, and fit the bands in place, then give them a final coat of red lead paint

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 18-12-2009 at 14:14.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 16:33   #205
Resting in Peace

That's really interesting Retlaw ...

Seems the mill that I was talking about that is like Woodnook was India Mill at Darwen ... no, not on the outside (although is red brick at the back) .. the windows and some of the internal design.
Now, that is some chimney, isn't it.

Seems that the middle ledge is wide enough to get a horse and cart around it !

Think John Warburton maintains this too ?

india_mill_142x257.jpg
Old 18-12-2009, 17:53   #206
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That's really interesting Retlaw ...

Seems the mill that I was talking about that is like Woodnook was India Mill at Darwen ... no, not on the outside (although is red brick at the back) .. the windows and some of the internal design.
Now, that is some chimney, isn't it.

Seems that the middle ledge is wide enough to get a horse and cart around it !
It will be a very little horse and cart, might get stuck on the corners, YOU could probably push a pram round it.
Think John Warburton maintains this too ?

Attachment 15108

Retlaw.
Old 18-12-2009, 18:22   #207
Resting in Peace

"Seems that the middle ledge is wide enough to get a horse and cart around it !
It will be a very little horse and cart, might get stuck on the corners, YOU could probably push a pram round it."

Well, that was what I was told by a builder friend of mine who was in touch with the steeplejack who told him this ...

Oh No !! why am I in blue now like Retlaw, horror of horrors ..
Old 19-12-2009, 14:01   #208
Senior Member+

HEY RETLAW! Where the flippin' eck you been? GLAD YOU ARE BACK WITH US!! Happy Christmas to you!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 14:51   #209
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
HEY RETLAW! Where the flippin' eck you been? GLAD YOU ARE BACK WITH US!! Happy Christmas to you!
Christmas again already, that means library's shut for best part of week, all because of some mythical being whos existence has never been proved.

Retlaw.
Old 19-12-2009, 15:01   #210
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Christmas again already, that means library's shut for best part of week, all because of some mythical being whos existence has never been proved.

Retlaw.
i dispute that as i once told me daughter i used to play darts wi him in the Black Horse n being 5 yrs old at the time she bought it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..