Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2011, 06:01   #196

Re: World War 1

Thanks retlaw, my brother said grandad ( Patrick ) worked down the pit so he was exempt. Yes you did post a picture of Anthony last year, thanks again.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2011, 00:51   #197
Junior Member+

Hi Retlaw,

My maiden name is Margerison, and I grew up in Accrington, though I now live in Canada, and have been researching my family history for many years.

I understand that your main focus is on the Hyndburn area, and I don't know if you have any interest in surrounding locales, but I do have a lot of info - and photos - on relatives who served from the Haslingden area. I understand that you have done some work with William Turner? One of my relatives was mentioned in his book : "The Men of Haslingden Grane", and I have several photographs of relatives in uniform, as well as war records and various details that you may be interested in. I am most happy to contribute to your work if you are interested. Let me know. Or perhaps you have info for me that I have not been able to find.

My main research interest is in the Margerison line but my maternal Grandfather was said to have been a sniper in the war.

I am always pleased to see people working so hard to preserve the amazing history of people and places. Thank you !
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58   #198
I am Banned

P.M. Sent
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 13:59   #199
tod
Junior Member+

Hi Retlaw, I've just found out this morning that another relation from Accrington died in WW1. He was Robert Duckett (b1877) I believe he was in The Lancashire Fusiliers and was KIA on the 23rd October 1916.Any information you could pass on would be very grateful...regards Tod.
tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 14:52   #200
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod View Post
Hi Retlaw, I've just found out this morning that another relation from Accrington died in WW1. He was Robert Duckett (b1877) I believe he was in The Lancashire Fusiliers and was KIA on the 23rd October 1916.Any information you could pass on would be very grateful...regards Tod.
Robert Duckett. (35)
Cpl. 18495. 2nd Lancs Fus.
K.i.A. 23-10-1916.
Having no known grave, his name is on the Thiepval Memorial, France.
Accrington & District Catholics R-O-H, Dale St, Accrington.
Sacred Heart R-O-H.
Greater Accrington R-O-H.
Sacred Heart War Memorial
Accrington War Memorial.
Retlaw.

Not found any news paper articles on him.

Old 03-07-2011, 15:21   #201
tod
Junior Member+

Many thanks for your time Retlaw, Kind regards Tod
tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 14:23   #202
I am Banned

Re: Holland Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALONIKA View Post
Hi. Can any one remmember Ernest James Crabtree who live at No 24 Holland Street and later in willows lane. He served in the great war as A Pte In the East Lancashire Regiment and was a tailor.
Pte. 241820. Crabtree Ernest James
lived at 101 Willows lane in 1918.
Retlaw.
Old 05-07-2011, 14:25   #203
Junior Member+

Re: World War 1 help

Hi. Can anyone remmember Ernest James Crabtree who lived at Holland street and willows lane.He served as a Pte East Lancashire Regiment duringing the great war and was a tailor He was sent back to England in April with a leg wound and was then sent out to Salonika. Any information would be a help.
SALONIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 18:01   #204
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALONIKA View Post
Hi. Can anyone remmember Ernest James Crabtree who lived at Holland street and willows lane.He served as a Pte East Lancashire Regiment duringing the great war and was a tailor He was sent back to England in April with a leg wound and was then sent out to Salonika. Any information would be a help.
Ernest James first served in France and was returned to England with a knee infection, he was posted to Salonika, one of the reasons he was posted back to England was Malaria.
In 1918 he was tried by D.C.M. & sentenced to 1 year hard labour, for joining in a mutiny. Sentence commuted by G.O.C., he was then compulsory transfered to the K.O.R.L.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-07-2011 at 18:09. Reason: Spell
Old 05-07-2011, 19:02   #205
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Ernest James first served in France and was returned to England with a knee infection, he was posted to Salonika, one of the reasons he was posted back to England was Malaria.
In 1918 he was tried by D.C.M. & sentenced to 1 year hard labour, for joining in a mutiny. Sentence commuted by G.O.C., he was then compulsory transfered to the K.O.R.L.
Retlaw.
Interesting stuff, but can you translate those abbreviations for me?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:39   #206
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Interesting stuff, but can you translate those abbreviations for me?
Of course I can, or I would'nt have written them, there are hundreds of abbreviations in military records, but the post is for Salonika.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-07-2011 at 19:43. Reason: spell
Old 05-07-2011, 19:45   #207
Full Member+

I know you know 'em, but I don't! I only ask cos I'm interested!!
Old 05-07-2011, 20:24   #208
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I know you know 'em, but I don't! I only ask cos I'm interested!!
Aw ecky peck Steve.
D.C.M. District Court Marshall.
G.O.C. General Officer Commanding.
K.O.R.L. Kings Own Royal Lancs.

Retlaw.
Old 05-07-2011, 20:34   #209
Full Member+

...now the post makes sense for us laymen. You see, I might have thought GOC was that japanese-looking fashion guy on Channel 4!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 22:12   #210
Junior Member+

Hi Retlaw. Many thanks for your reply.Do you think that news of his court marsall would have made the local newspapers also do you know which Battalion of the East Lancs he served with in France because his later Battalion the 9th were in Salonika in December 1915.
SALONIKA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..