Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 20:40   #61

Re: World War 1

OLDHAM, Pte. Richard, G/5345 (8th Bn., Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.)); s. of Riley and Eliza Oldham; husband of Sarah Ann Oldham; lived at 38 Kay Street, Oswaldtwistle; k.i.a. 26th September 1915 (26); comm. Loos Memorial. [2, 3, 4, 16]

This was my grandads brother. Riley and Eliza Oldham are my great grandparents. Any more information on Richard would be greatly appreciated.
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2009, 21:42   #62
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
OLDHAM, Pte. Richard, G/5345 (8th Bn., Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.)); s. of Riley and Eliza Oldham; husband of Sarah Ann Oldham; lived at 38 Kay Street, Oswaldtwistle; k.i.a. 26th September 1915 (26); comm. Loos Memorial. [2, 3, 4, 16]

This was my grandads brother. Riley and Eliza Oldham are my great grandparents. Any more information on Richard would be greatly appreciated.
Richard was reported as missing 6-5-1915, during the battle of Loos.
His widow Sarah Ann was not officially notified until Oct 1916.

He is remembered on the Loos Memorial.

Retlaw.
I've also got Oldhams in my parish registers files from 1800 back to the first registers in the 1500's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oldham. R. Pte. R.W.K..JPG (113.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-03-2009 at 21:45. Reason: add
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 22:06   #63

That is amazing, thankyou so much. If you can point me in the right direction of th Oldhams going back so far, I would be eternally grateful. I've come to a stand still at 1845.
Thanks for the picture it's the first one I've seen of him. You're a saint.
Old 01-03-2009, 22:13   #64
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
That is amazing, thankyou so much. If you can point me in the right direction of th Oldhams going back so far, I would be eternally grateful. I've come to a stand still at 1845.
Thanks for the picture it's the first one I've seen of him. You're a saint.
Accrington Library, reference room, they have the copies of the parish registers, which were transcribed by the late Jack Broderick, and the indexed copies I made in Dbase4.

There are several Oldham's in the 1841 census, I indexed that as well, its also in the library.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-03-2009 at 22:21. Reason: add
Old 01-03-2009, 22:15   #65

Thankyou
Old 02-03-2009, 08:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I have a William Mozart Booth in my files.
Lived at 69 Blackburn Rd Gt Harwood.
Is he the man, because if he is you won't
like what I found in his papers.

Retlaw.
I think this is very unfair of you, Walter. William Mozart Booth joined up voluntarily as early in the war as 8th September 1914. I guess that your comment is based on the fact that he was discharged on 18th October for 'not likely to become an efficient soldier'. In fact, the specific reason for his discharge was that he was medically unfit (no teeth). His character for the short time of his military service was described as 'very good'. As regards the story that he was gassed, I suppose that neither you nor I can know for sure that he didn't re-enlist, perhaps even under an alias.
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
I think this is very unfair of you, Walter. William Mozart Booth joined up voluntarily as early in the war as 8th September 1914. I guess that your comment is based on the fact that he was discharged on 18th October for 'not likely to become an efficient soldier'. In fact, the specific reason for his discharge was that he was medically unfit (no teeth). His character for the short time of his military service was described as 'very good'. As regards the story that he was gassed, I suppose that neither you nor I can know for sure that he didn't re-enlist, perhaps even under an alias.
I have already pm'd the enquirer with the details of Booths file. It makes no mention of his having no teeth, and that is no reason for discharge. The only thing I can suggest is you stick to sorting out the dozens of errors in the tripe you call a web site, especially the war memorial errors. When is the penny going to drop that there are 5 men named twice on the Accy memorial, and that one man on there survived.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-03-2009 at 10:51.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:33   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I have already pm'd the enquirer with the details of Booths file. It makes no mention of his having no teeth, and that is no reason for discharge. The only thing I can suggest is you stick to sorting out the dozens of errors in the tripe you call a web site, especially the war memorial errors. When is the penny going to drop that there are 5 men named twice on the Accy memorial, and that one man on there survived.

Retlaw
Perhaps you should check the WO364 series as well as the WO363 series. The records are clear enough that lack of teeth was the sole reason for his discharge.

It's easy to criticize and it would be just as easy for me to point the errors in your own work. I've asked you before on this forum to point out the errors so that they can be corrected, but you haven't chosen to respond. The tripe comment is just silly.
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 13:34   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
Perhaps you should check the WO364 series as well as the WO363 series. The records are clear enough that lack of teeth was the sole reason for his discharge.

It's easy to criticize and it would be just as easy for me to point the errors in your own work. I've asked you before on this forum to point out the errors so that they can be corrected, but you haven't chosen to respond. The tripe comment is just silly.
I've been through those series, so far found the records for 413 men and I've just started on C's.

As for pointing out your errors, so they can be corrected, thats your trouble, if you were any good, you would see the errors and not rely on other people to clean up your mess. I've got more important things to do for my records, than to do your work.

As for my errors, you don't have access to my work to know of any errors. All the work Bill Turner and I did on updating the PALS files are in a sealed file, to which you are specifically denied access, in Bills will.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-03-2009 at 13:37.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24   #70

Retlaw

I just wondered if you had anything on Seth Burrows, he was my step-grandfather. He never talked about his war experiences and as a child I was always told not to ask.

I am guessing he would have been in his late teens at the time of the 1st WW. although originally from Preston he did spend much of his life in Accrington and in the 1970's was the doorman at Platt's Club (Bulloughs)
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53   #71
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Retlaw

I just wondered if you had anything on Seth Burrows, he was my step-grandfather. He never talked about his war experiences and as a child I was always told not to ask.

I am guessing he would have been in his late teens at the time of the 1st WW. although originally from Preston he did spend much of his life in Accrington and in the 1970's was the doorman at Platt's Club (Bulloughs)
Seth Smith Burrows Private. 1526. 1st East Lancs. Lived at 26 Union St, Accrington. Wrote home to his parents in June 1915 that he was in hospital in Malta, suffering fromn six bullet wounds in his leg, I'll soon be back in England. Seth was discharged frrom the army 9-8-1916.
formerly worked at Entwistle & Kenyons.

Retlaw
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05   #72

Thanks for that Retlaw. I have learnt more from your post about him than i
I learn t in the last 40+ years.

just one further question, how do you k now what he wrote home?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 01:02   #73
God Member

Retlaw , came across this link on the BBC website , maybe of interest to you

BBC - Today
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:27   #74
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Retlaw , came across this link on the BBC website , maybe of interest to you

BBC - Today

Many thanks Steeljack, I'll keep an eye on it.

Retlaw.
Old 22-12-2009, 21:14   #75
spw

I've got some photographs and postcards in addition to the attached which I will scan over the Christmas break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thooslads.jpg (485.4 KB, 27 views)
spw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..