Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2009, 20:32   #31
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Giving credit where it is due, I place on record my appreciation for the work that Retlaw has done over the past twenty years, much of it with the late Bill Turner. Without their digging, knowledge of our Accrington ancestors at the time of the First World War would be far, far less than it now is. I have received the benefit of his work, and so have lots of library users - and now so have some Accyweb users. Do please send him details of your ancestors, and photos to go with their names. When the time comes for the centenary of the founding of the Accrington Pals and of the 1st July 1916 centenary to be commemorated, it will be made far easier because of the work - several hours every day - that Retlaw has put in, and future generations will reap the knowledge that he and Bill have sown.

I feel sure that I am joined by the staff in the library in saying this.
Its no good assholing Dobo I still hate you.

I just hope I'm still around at the Centenary.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2009, 13:16   #32
Give, give, give member

Just spent a fascinating hour or so with Retlaw.

It was a pleasure to meet you, and I think the work you and others are carrying on, recording the service history of our district is invaluable, and I'm sure future generations will be as thankfull for your toil others are now.

I very much enjoyed being able to see for myself a little of the work you've done.

Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 13:14   #33

I am at present reading The Trench by David Bilton--The Full Story of the 1st Hull Pals--
On Page 122 there are 2 photographs of Hull lads who were killed on the 1st July 1916 whilst serving with the Accrington Pals. The first is Corporal WC Billington and the second is Corporal A Moore. Can these 2 heroes be included in your list Retlaw?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 13:32   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
I am at present reading The Trench by David Bilton--The Full Story of the 1st Hull Pals--
On Page 122 there are 2 photographs of Hull lads who were killed on the 1st July 1916 whilst serving with the Accrington Pals. The first is Corporal WC Billington and the second is Corporal A Moore. Can these 2 heroes be included in your list Retlaw?
They are already in my Pals Roll of Honour.
Both of them were with a batch of men from the Army Cycle corps, and were posted to the 11th on the 25th May 1916. They fought with the 11th Battalion on the 1st July, therefore they are Accrington Pals.

Retlaw
Old 19-02-2009, 20:27   #35

my grandad pte W Baron mis-spelt on one medal as Barron was in the r.a.m.c. no 61042 did wonder if he could have been part of the Accrington 100 think he lived in ossy
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 21:12   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
my grandad pte W Baron mis-spelt on one medal as Barron was in the r.a.m.c. no 61042 did wonder if he could have been part of the Accrington 100 think he lived in ossy
William Baron Pte. 61042. R.A.M.C.
lived at 57 James St, Oswaldtwistle.
Kew Medal Cards WO372/2

His service records were destroyed during WW2

What is the Accrington 100 ?.

Retlaw.
Old 20-02-2009, 17:36   #37
Junior Member+

Well, I said I would be back.

Retlaw has kindly confirmed to me that he has records of two of my relatives - Charles Swann (Army) and Herbert Swann (Navy) having served during the First World War.

I was slightly puzzled as I was expecting a couple of other records to come up though.

Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' were re conscription - age ranges, marital status, reserved occupations, other reasons for not being eligible ...... etc?

And Retlaw has also let me know that both Herbert and Charles' names appeared on the Roll of Honour in the Whalley Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, which made me feel very very proud of my relationship to them.
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 17:38   #38
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

What is the Accrington 100 ?.

Retlaw.
Would this be it?

The Accrington 100
Old 20-02-2009, 18:11   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
Well, I said I would be back.

Retlaw has kindly confirmed to me that he has records of two of my relatives - Charles Swann (Army) and Herbert Swann (Navy) having served during the First World War.

I was slightly puzzled as I was expecting a couple of other records to come up though.

Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' were re conscription - age ranges, marital status, reserved occupations, other reasons for not being eligible ...... etc?

And Retlaw has also let me know that both Herbert and Charles' names appeared on the Roll of Honour in the Whalley Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, which made me feel very very proud of my relationship to them.
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will give you more information, but my great grandfather was 37 when he was called up from the Reserves in 1916. I suppose the age limit was changed so more men could fight, after so many losses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 18:36   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats a new un on me,nice one MrsB.
Old 20-02-2009, 19:13   #41
I am Banned

There are two other initials on the Prim Meths R-O-H. A & E.

I have other men in my files but they are named as Swan.

As to reasons for being called up, that depended on a number of factors, military tribunals held in ever town, decided in a lot of cases wether a man was or could be exempted from call up, 1000's of men had been attested by mid 1916 and were placed in various classes up to C3, due to age, occupation or medical fitness. It must be remembered that for every man at the front, there could be up to a dozen providing for his needs, either near the front or at home. By late 1917, and especially in the spring of 1918, losses due to battles and the flue that was raging thro Europe, meant more & more men were needed, so that men previously exempt in class B & C were called up. Men were still being sent for militry training in October 1918. Men who early in the war would have been discharged because of their wounds or health, were being posted to the R.D.C., to release fitter men to move further up the chain.

During the German offensive in spring of 1918, more men were killed than during the battle of the Somme, but did'nt have the same impact as the 1st of July. It was over a wider front, and the commonwealth forces were involved as well

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-02-2009 at 19:16.
Old 20-02-2009, 19:31   #42
I am Banned

Eric.
About Thomas Noble, the neighbour of your granddad.

Thomas Noble. Pte 12476. East Lancs, served in the 1st & 7th Battalions, lived at 44 Rishton Rd, C-l-Moors.
He was a P-o-W and attended the welome home ceremony on Jan 6th 1919.
Thomas was discharged from the army 16-3-1919.

Retlaw.
Old 20-02-2009, 20:38   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
Hi Retlaw, would love to know anything re. my uncle Joseph Greenwood - lived at 30, Harwood Road, Rishton with father John Richard and brothers Jack and Harold. My dad said Joe joined the Pals and was sent to Egypt, and I have a button which was sent to my dad - it's black and has a crown over a posthorn.
That button is the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry.

Joseph Greenwood was serving as Pte. R/2667 K.R.R.C.
He was K.i.A. 20-9-1917 in Belgium, no known grave his name is on the
Tyne Cot Memorial Zonnebeke, Belgium
Son of Mr & Mrs J.E. Greenwood of 30 Harwood Rd, Rishton.

I also have a John Greenwood Pte. 10071. R.A.M.C.
lived at 70 Knowles Rd, Rishton.
Harold Greenwood, Pte 220410. East Yorks. lived at
46 Harwood Rd, Rishton.

Retlaw.

Old 20-02-2009, 22:35   #44
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

There are two other initials on the Prim Meths R-O-H. A & E.

I have other men in my files but they are named as Swan.
If you are saying there is an "A Swann" on the RoH I can probably identify it for you - but not if it's "A Swan". Let me know.
Old 21-02-2009, 10:37   #45

Thank you, Retlaw. Really grateful for the information re. my uncle - Joe Greenwood.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..