Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 14:05   #1

Smile Dance halls

Hi,does anyone remember Knowmere St; & Joe Mortimer's we used to go to Knowmere St;or Christ Church on a Saturday,then we'd go to Joe Mort's;on a Sunday as long as our parent's didn't know,not many dance hall's were allowed to open on Sunday & lads & lassies came from as far away from Blackpool on the train,there was often a lot of fighting with the local lads.
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2012, 14:15   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Dance halls

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
Hi,does anyone remember Knowmere St; & Joe Mortimer's we used to go to Knowmere St;or Christ Church on a Saturday,then we'd go to Joe Mort's;on a Sunday as long as our parent's didn't know,not many dance hall's were allowed to open on Sunday & lads & lassies came from as far away from Blackpool on the train,there was often a lot of fighting with the local lads.
Lots of us remember, on lots of other threads, try putting Knowlmere St into the search box at the top of the page.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:22   #3

joe morts was the in place in those days, i seem to remember guard dogs being at the top of the stairs, was it rough?it was renowned for good nights,and the big crown next door to it, that was later than the morts scene, a guy called frank monohan was the landlord he had a daughter called pat, you was always in for a decent night out in accy.
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 23:21   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
joe morts was the in place in those days, i seem to remember guard dogs being at the top of the stairs, was it rough?it was renowned for good nights,and the big crown next door to it, that was later than the morts scene, a guy called frank monohan was the landlord he had a daughter called pat, you was always in for a decent night out in accy.
Bernard was landlord when i first went in, Frank took it oer from him, When they came out Pat n her Mam moved oer Fleetwood way, Bumped into Pat a few times oer yon, Big Crown was always a good boozer back then, But i thought better before the alterations,when Bernard used to have groups on, was very handy before goin up morts.
Old 13-02-2012, 08:15   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bernard was landlord when i first went in, Frank took it oer from him, When they came out Pat n her Mam moved oer Fleetwood way, Bumped into Pat a few times oer yon, Big Crown was always a good boozer back then, But i thought better before the alterations,when Bernard used to have groups on, was very handy before goin up morts.
I bet you were one of those that didn't wash their arm so the pass out stamp was still there the week afteroh yes I remember it well
Old 13-02-2012, 18:43   #6

the crown in those days, (frank monahan) was a big guinness place, most people in there drank bottled guinness, the guys worked on the roads.and the tar mackers, the fitz brothers, john and jimmy, and frank used to sub them beer all week, and end up with most of their wages, i remember a scottish guy called bruno curley hair i cant ever remember seeing him sober,i remember a night it was pats birthday party,didnt start till closing time we all helped to tidy up, and put the buffee out, a knock on the door, when frank went to the door it was alex higgins with a bottle of whiskey for pat,frank took the bottle said thanks and shut the door, i would have luved to have seen his face,
Old 13-02-2012, 19:17   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
the crown in those days, (frank monahan) was a big guinness place, most people in there drank bottled guinness, the guys worked on the roads.and the tar mackers, the fitz brothers, john and jimmy, and frank used to sub them beer all week, and end up with most of their wages, i remember a scottish guy called bruno curley hair i cant ever remember seeing him sober,i remember a night it was pats birthday party,didnt start till closing time we all helped to tidy up, and put the buffee out, a knock on the door, when frank went to the door it was alex higgins with a bottle of whiskey for pat,frank took the bottle said thanks and shut the door, i would have luved to have seen his face,
Used to live wi john way back, all those lads are gone now, n quite a few more of the crown lads.
Old 13-02-2012, 21:53   #8

i bought johns wagon,maybe 1974-5 a black bedford tk 10 tonner was one of ironfields, silly story, i was sick of building trade one year, we was in crown, all the worse for guinness,john said give me £150 you have bought the firm, it consisted of the wagon tarmack tools roller ect, his brother jimmy, george kennedy, and a heavy goods driver called carrot, like the idiot i was in those days, i paid him, biggest job was getting them out the pub, a bigger job was keeping them out,i deserved every penny we earned
Old 05-03-2013, 18:05   #9
Junior Member+

Joe Morts: sawdust on the male toilet floor, a hosepipe linking a leak from the ceiling out through one of the windows, fights on the dance floor that were so common we just danced round the bodies knocking hell out of each other. Mary Mort walking around the floor with her two German police dogs on chains wrapped around her wrists.The police used to parade outside in great force with their dogs because they were not allowed inside due to it being a private club ( the reason we had to become members was to keep the police out unless invited in) Apparently Joe's had the largest private membership for a club outside the USA. The front page of the Accrington Observer often had headlines about the trouble outside Joe's but this was often propaganda because the council wanted the place closed down. Does anyone remember the cartoons that were drawn and pinned to the window of the disc jockey's room? Downstairs was the cafe. The Ted's used to wobble their solo dance and occasionally brandished their knuckle dusters and bicycle chains that they never used but kept for show. Even now one can go upstairs and have a look at what was the dance floor and room known as Joe Mort's. It's a gym but they don't mind one having a look.
Stuart Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:34   #10
Super Moderator

Thought you were a peace-loving, CND badge-wearing beatnik, Stuart?
Old 05-03-2013, 18:56   #11

i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse
Old 05-03-2013, 19:01   #12

the only dance hall I remember in ossy was the Empire!
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:10   #13
God Member

Quote:
i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse
That would be the weavers institute
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Sun...,90.34,,0,3.29

I don't recall any dances there - I left Ossy in 1961 (aged 18)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:36   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
There was a dance floor in Church Con Club. I went there a few times. Bopping. I remember dances too in Oak Street Cong Church hall. Th' Arc (adian) was probably my favourite - an off licence at the end of the street is still there I think. Cliff Davidson (?) was the bossman. One of my memories of Mort's was wearing a black shiort and jacket and making a hearing aid out of a white ear-ring and white bell wire to make people think I was Johnny Ray. It worked. I got sympathy from girls.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 21:00   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
the only dance hall I remember in ossy was the Empire!
Only one i remember also, Though Church Con down the road had dances upstairs, thats maybe what janloots on about?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..