Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 21:40   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Dance halls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Thought you were a peace-loving, CND badge-wearing beatnik, Stuart?
Perhaps its something to do with old age: peace loving...yes - CND...well, yes but without the badge. Never have been a beatnik...too late now
Stuart Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2013, 22:11   #17

the weavers rings a bell, the empire was still a pictures in those days, i think it was 1962 when i vacated gobin land, jimmy fitz used to live opposite if i remember,just when he started, or got married,not sure, i can only remember going a couple of times, it was maybe not a full time dance hall,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:34   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse
That was St Mary's on Lock Street Mr j....always a bit disconcerting getting up close and personal with a girl and then the priest would be on patrol Hand down by your sides and look innocent.
There and Spring Hill sold Cideraide
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:35   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
the weavers rings a bell, the empire was still a pictures in those days, i think it was 1962 when i vacated gobin land, jimmy fitz used to live opposite if i remember,just when he started, or got married,not sure, i can only remember going a couple of times, it was maybe not a full time dance hall,
Jimmy lived on Sun St when he got wed,of which Ossy Civic Hall is just at top of street.Lock St is in that area, used to have groups etc upstairs yon.

Last edited by cashman; 05-03-2013 at 22:43.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17   #20

Quote:
i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse
You're not talking about what used to be St. Mary's Youthclub are you?
There used to be dancing there on Saturday nights
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
You're not talking about what used to be St. Mary's Youthclub are you?
There used to be dancing there on Saturday nights
Sorry, just saw there had already been this suggestion!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That would be the weavers institute
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Sun...,90.34,,0,3.29

I don't recall any dances there - I left Ossy in 1961 (aged 18)
I then became St Maries Catholic club, was certainly that in 62 used to go dancing there every Friday night, it was while going into that place that I heard about the assassination of JFK
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
That was St Mary's on Lock Street Mr j....always a bit disconcerting getting up close and personal with a girl and then the priest would be on patrol Hand down by your sides and look innocent.
Very rarely saw a priest in Lock St. Mr. D., there again never looked innocent in my life
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Very rarely saw a priest in Lock St. Mr. D., there again never looked innocent in my life
My oldest and best mate Micky Bull * and Hugh Jardon were always getting told to calm down by the priest

* Micky hates me introducing him a my oldest best mate

But as Sospan the Ice Cream seller in Aberystwyth says " I can't afford friends in this town, I lose too many working days attending the funerals"
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Mick Bull says it was Cydrax
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38   #26

I,m puzzled as no one else has mentioned going dancing to the Empire it was definatly 59/60 or am I that senile I,ve lost me marbles!
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
I,m puzzled as no one else has mentioned going dancing to the Empire it was definatly 59/60 or am I that senile I,ve lost me marbles!
It has been mentioned often in other threads in the past.
If you used the 'search' facility you would find them.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57   #28
Mog

Quote:
Mick Bull says it was Cydrax
Wandering off for a min. Is that Micky Bull worked at Huncoat Pit.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
My oldest and best mate Micky Bull * and Hugh Jardon were always getting told to calm down by the priest

* Micky hates me introducing him a my oldest best mate

But as Sospan the Ice Cream seller in Aberystwyth says " I can't afford friends in this town, I lose too many working days attending the funerals"
Micky Bull hell that is a blast from the past, used to live near the Holy Farm near Derek Thornhill on Malham I think it was called
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
Not sure when it closed was before the time I was attending dance halls around 62/63

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..