Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 07:35   #1
God Member

The final flame...

At the moment it is travelling along the Thames on the Royal barge Gloriana but no-one is revealing who will be the bearer of the flame when it lights the final flame which will burn in the Olympic Stadium in London for the duration of the 2012 games.

I have heard some names bandied about eg Roger Bannister and David Beckham but the identity is being kept pretty well under wraps.

I've found out that in the last London games it was a young medical student called John Marks - I wonder if he's still alive and might be the big surprise?

Anyone have any other ideas?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2012, 07:43   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The final flame...

Maybe the chairman of "Zippo"?
Old 27-07-2012, 07:47   #3
God Member

Attached Images
File Type: gif y8344.gif (13.3 KB, 9 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 08:13   #4
Resting in Peace

Its between Steve Redgrave and Daily Thomson
Old 27-07-2012, 08:54   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Daily Thomson
Well I knew the Thomson corporation used to own lots of newspapers but I didn't know they had a tabloid named after them.

The Thomson Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27-07-2012, 08:59   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well I knew the Thomson corporation used to own lots of newspapers but I didn't know they had a tabloid named after them.

The Thomson Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Daley Thompson
Old 27-07-2012, 11:18   #7
God Member

I will not be participating in this Bell, Book and Candle(torch) ritual.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 11:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I will not be participating in this Bell, Book and Candle(torch) ritual.
So I'm right in assuming that you are not the chosen one
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 11:53   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
At the moment it is travelling along the Thames on the Royal barge Gloriana but no-one is revealing who will be the bearer of the flame when it lights the final flame which will burn in the Olympic Stadium in London for the duration of the 2012 games.

I have heard some names bandied about eg Roger Bannister and David Beckham but the identity is being kept pretty well under wraps.

I've found out that in the last London games it was a young medical student called John Marks - I wonder if he's still alive and might be the big surprise?

Anyone have any other ideas?
Doug Jeffries, the sportscaster on our local tv station, CKWS, suggested that it might be Sir Stanley MatthewsDoug is great with hockey, football (CFL and NFL), baseball, basketball, and all local minor teams. But I guess his knowledge of English sports stars is a little limited.

I'm with Doug on this one. After all, a guy who could play top flight soccer at age 50 just might be able to haul himself out of the grave and do the honours.
Old 27-07-2012, 14:30   #10
God Member

There doesn't appear to be a favourite then - husband just came in for a break from the heat and put one of the SKY Olympic channels on -I got drawn into watching the last half hour of the Beijing opening ceremony. It really will be a hard one to beat -great fireworks and the final athlete running through the air on a wire around the stadium was very original and well staged. The whole thing reflected what the Chinese nation are about now and their history -looking forward to seeing it tonight - just hope it shows the best of British!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 15:26   #11
Beacon of light

personally I couldn't give a chuff.......I'm sick of it already. I opened the newspaper this morning expecting news, but got six pages of blather about the opening fiasco...sorry ceremony.
I put the news program on TV at lunchtime and it was all the flame going down the Thames...so I turned it off again.
Call me a cynical burger, but I wonder what news is being buried under all this flannel about sport....what ever, it won't be good!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:12   #12
God Member

i'll watch the opening bit just to see if it was as grand as Beijing then that'll be it for me, not interested at all
Old 27-07-2012, 17:39   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
personally I couldn't give a chuff.......I'm sick of it already. I opened the newspaper this morning expecting news, but got six pages of blather about the opening fiasco...sorry ceremony.
I put the news program on TV at lunchtime and it was all the flame going down the Thames...so I turned it off again.
Call me a cynical burger, but I wonder what news is being buried under all this flannel about sport....what ever, it won't be good!
Ya Margaret I think the news will be taking Polly Browns advice up up up in a puff of smoke for the next fortnigh
Old 27-07-2012, 19:27   #14
God Member

My guess .... Mitt Romney
Old 27-07-2012, 20:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Nice one!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..