Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 15:50   #1
Resting in Peace

Off Topic- Olympics

Some enthralling moments so far, but what is YOUR least favourite event? After just watching the BMX coverage it left me cold. A poor Olympic sport IMHO, and that's from a lifelong cyclist!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2012, 15:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Off topic- Olympics

By a LONG distance......... Dressage.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:03   #3

I admire the commitment of one and all but please, please don't make me watch synchronised swimming!
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:03   #4
Super Moderator

Everything apart from womens' beach volleyball.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:22   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What about the lady from Khazakhstan and her 291kg Snatch ??.. Kazakhstan's Svetlana Podobedova won the Olympic gold medal in the women's weightlifting 75kg with 291 kilograms (641.55 pounds) on Friday.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:40   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:

And, come to think of it ....I'd probably run 100 metres in 9.63 seconds if I was being chased by a big sweaty Gay !!..
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:40   #7

Football & Tennis - Not at the Olympics for me.

What next ? Kerplunk ?
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37   #8
God Member

Re: Off Topic- Olympics

The worst moment so far - without a doubt - must be the sight of the half-billionaire OAP scouser attempting to sing at the opening ceremony. However, if the rumours turn out to be true then this ghastly moment will pale into insignicance should the Spice Girls enter the arena for the closing ceremony each mounted atop a London taxi, to strut their stuff. If I see that I will be so violently sick that it is unlikely you will hear from me again for a very long time.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Beach volley ball and the game where they throw a ball at each other on a court similar to a Hockey one - Handball I think it's called? Both pointless!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:04   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Beach volley ball and the game where they throw a ball at each other on a court similar to a Hockey one - Handball I think it's called? Both pointless!
Similar to hockey one, somat wrong with your eyesight
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Similar to hockey one, somat wrong with your eyesight
It is - they have a goal net at each and and you have to throw the ball into it. Two teams - allowed to hold the ball with both hands and pass it to each other, only watched a few moments of it. I'm not talking about Beach Volley ball!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It is - they have a goal net at each and and you have to throw the ball into it. Two teams - allowed to hold the ball with both hands and pass it to each other, only watched a few moments of it. I'm not talking about Beach Volley ball!
A hockey pitch is about 3 quarters the size of a football pitch
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39   #13

I'm watching the funny walks at the moment. I haven't spotted John Cleese so far.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I'm watching the funny walks at the moment. I haven't spotted John Cleese so far.
He's the tall lanky one at the back
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I can see the similarities but you can fit four handball courts into a hockey pitch...

From the BBC Olympics website:
The hockey pitch is a 91.40 m × 55 m (100 yd × 60 yd) rectangular field. At each end is a goal 2.14 m (7 feet) high and 3.66 m (12 ft) wide.

Handball is played on an indoor court - which is the largest of any indoor ball sport at the Games - between two teams of seven players each. The court is 40m long and 20m wide, with 3m wide and 2m high nets at either end.

The players' objective is, by only using their hands, to throw the ball into the goal of the opposing team, thereby scoring a goal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..