Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52   #16
God Member

Re: Off Topic- Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The worst moment so far - without a doubt - must be the sight of the half-billionaire OAP scouser attempting to sing at the opening ceremony. However, if the rumours turn out to be true then this ghastly moment will pale into insignicance should the Spice Girls enter the arena for the closing ceremony each mounted atop a London taxi, to strut their stuff. If I see that I will be so violently sick that it is unlikely you will hear from me again for a very long time.
Get your sick bag ready
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spice-caro2_1563974a.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2012, 13:01   #17
God Member

I tried watching Taekwondo (spelling?) this morning -bit like Tweedledee and Tweedledum kicking the hell out of each other -can't get it at all.

Luckily Tom Daley was doing some great diving -so I watched that instead

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:08   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I tried watching Taekwondo (spelling?) this morning -bit like Tweedledee and Tweedledum kicking the hell out of each other -can't get it at all.

Luckily Tom Daley was doing some great diving -so I watched that instead
Taekwondodo ya get that from a chinese or indian takeaway Di
Old 11-08-2012, 16:06   #19

The ladies 20km funny walk has just started, Virgin Media 581. There are lots of people lining the route. In the men's 50km earlier today, quite a few competitors collapsed as they reached the finish line.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 16:33   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
The ladies 20km funny walk has just started, Virgin Media 581. There are lots of people lining the route. In the men's 50km earlier today, quite a few competitors collapsed as they reached the finish line.
The British guy was last but at least he was still standing (and walking) at the finish.

Watching the women on the BBC website right now.
Old 11-08-2012, 20:40   #21
Senior Member+

Re: Off topic- Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I can see the similarities but you can fit four handball courts into a hockey pitch...

From the BBC Olympics website:
The hockey pitch is a 91.40 m × 55 m (100 yd × 60 yd) rectangular field. At each end is a goal 2.14 m (7 feet) high and 3.66 m (12 ft) wide.

Handball is played on an indoor court - which is the largest of any indoor ball sport at the Games - between two teams of seven players each. The court is 40m long and 20m wide, with 3m wide and 2m high nets at either end.

The players' objective is, by only using their hands, to throw the ball into the goal of the opposing team, thereby scoring a goal.
Hi Sue - I wasn't talking about the size just the layout!

Perhaps they should bring in fishing or falconry as Olympic Sports if they have things like handball!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:44   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Taekwondo
It's part of a recipe from a Chinese cookery book :

Firs, Taek won do, roll flat, mak pancake, fill wi pork ........ etc, etc.
Old 11-08-2012, 21:16   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
It's part of a recipe from a Chinese cookery book :

Firs, Taek won do, roll flat, mak pancake, fill wi pork ........ etc, etc.
So Judo is making Kosher bread and blinis??
Old 11-08-2012, 21:19   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Hi Sue - I wasn't talking about the size just the layout! I know!!

Perhaps they should bring in fishing or falconry as Olympic Sports if they have things like handball!
Fishing - the medal goes to the person who sits still the longest?

Falconry - what do you suggest??
Old 11-08-2012, 21:40   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Fishing - the medal goes to the person who sits still the longest?

Falconry - what do you suggest??
Fishing they could have an artificial pool filled with hungry trout and judges score people on using the rod - casting they fly and how many fish they catch!

Falconry - everyone would have to use to same species of bird, for example Peregrine Falcon. Judges score contestants on how fast the bird flys to them and how good it flys after the lure in a defined period of time!

Or they could use kites?

Old 11-08-2012, 21:52   #26
God Member

Tiddlywinks has an international following too

Tiddlywinks Tournaments

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 21:53   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

There's already international fishing events & World championships, it's all about the best use of yer tackle. (and the amount of fish you catch too.)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35   #28
God Member

Quote:
There's already international fishing events & World championships, it's all about the best use of yer tackle. (and the amount of fish you catch too.)
The World course fishing Championships were held here in Cremona recently - link shows some photos of the huge canal where it was held -it was built to feed a massive steelworks which can be seen in the background of some of the photos. The steelworks has since doubled in size...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43   #29
God Member

Have just posted this on another thread but couldn't resist putting it here too - perhaps Freestyle Lego Construction could be a new Olympic sport. Would get lots of youngsters taking part...

London 2012 Olympics: LEGO minifigs of Team GB gold medal winners - Telegraph

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's not Olympics though is it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..