Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The final flame...

Whilst some call it occult, I prefer the term Weird Gets.
Old 12-08-2012, 15:38   #32
Beacon of light

I'm just REALLY glad it is finally coming to an end.
Yes, yes, I know the sportsmen and women have done GB proud...I just don't like sport.......and hate the wall to wall coverage.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 15:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, yes, I know the sportsmen and women have done GB proud...I just don't like sport.......and hate the wall to wall coverage.
I've loved every minute of it. It's been a once in a lifetime experience. The BBC's coverage has been excellent, especially with the 24 dedicated channels available on Virgin.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:05   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I've loved every minute of it. It's been a once in a lifetime experience. The BBC's coverage has been excellent, especially with the 24 dedicated channels available on Virgin.
Been watching via the BBC news website, very impressed, could watch what I wanted when I wanted and rewind video etc etc. Been very enjoyable dipping in and out.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:23   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yer wrong were only half way through, The Para-Olympics are starting soon, we will be swamped wi that no doubt.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:37   #36
Beacon of light

I don't think there will be the same blanket coverage Cashy......I think the Para-Olympics are a different ball game...a poorer relation.

I suppose it is a once in a lifetime event, but when you don't like sport....you just don't want it shoving down your neck....glad I was away for 5 days....it was five days when I didn't have to suffer sport on TV.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:39   #37
God Member

The three party leaders are going abroad for two weeks 'jolly hollies', so they will be away when the poo hits the rotary, just like they were last year.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:48   #38
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I don't think there will be the same blanket coverage Cashy......I think the Para-Olympics are a different ball game...a poorer relation.

I suppose it is a once in a lifetime event, but when you don't like sport....you just don't want it shoving down your neck....glad I was away for 5 days....it was five days when I didn't have to suffer sport on TV.
Don't you believe it - all day every day live coverage on Channel 4...

Paralympics - Channel 4
Old 12-08-2012, 16:50   #39
Beacon of light

Only one channel Sue?......Well, at least I know which channel NOT to visit.
I will miss at least 5 days of it...will be away with Ma....and I know that she will definitely not be watching it
Old 12-08-2012, 16:52   #40
Super Moderator

Don't really see the problem. There are so many channels on TV, it's easy enough to avoid it...and every TV has an "off" switch!
Old 12-08-2012, 16:54   #41
Beacon of light

Yes Steve....I know, but when your other half clings to the remote control like it is the liferaft of the sinking titanic...you really don't have such a wide choice...well, other than leave the room...but I can still hear his cheers and spurring on shouts up here.......does my box it...it really does.
Old 12-08-2012, 17:16   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes Steve....I know, but when your other half clings to the remote control like it is the liferaft of the sinking titanic...you really don't have such a wide choice...well, other than leave the room...but I can still hear his cheers and spurring on shouts up here.......does my box it...it really does.
If he likes sport that much, he should come on the Clayton End with me and Cashy! Never mind, perhaps he won't be so enthusiastic about the para-olympics!
Old 12-08-2012, 17:28   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well it was the Nazi's who first started running long distance with an Olympic flame, it was a local thing in Ancient Greece but the Nazi's where the first to make it into a big ceremony...carried through to this day.

Carl Diem (born June 24, 1882, Würzburg – December 17, 1962, Cologne) was a German sports administrator, and as Secretary General of the Organizing Committee of the Berlin Olympic Games, the chief organizer of the 1936 Olympic Summer Games (sometimes referred to as the "Nazi Olympics").
He created the tradition of the Olympic torch relay when he organised the 1936 build-up event, and was an influential historian of sport, particularly the Olympic games.
Your problem is you've too much time on your hands, take up gardening or somat
Old 12-08-2012, 17:30   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If attempts are made to influence your subconscious mind it is best to be aware of how it is done.
Now who would want to influence my subconscious mind, my names jaysay not MargaretR
Old 12-08-2012, 17:31   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst some call it occult, I prefer the term Weird Gets.
Looks like we're singing off the same hymn sheet cashy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..