Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2012, 16:03   #1

Ossy wind farm

Is anyone in Baxenden or surrounding area having problems with freeview reception over last week as latest structures have gone up?
I'm getting broken pictures just on BBC channels which are all broadcast from Winter Hill on the same bandwidth and we are in a direct line through the farm to the transmitter. Wind Farms have been shown to disrupt analogue and freeview signals in other parts of the country, if you are on Sky or Freesat this wouldn't be an issue.
SteveKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2012, 16:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Ossy wind farm

Yes my freeview pictures freeze for a few seconds and we are up Sandy Lane in Accrington
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:59   #3
Senior Member+

Yes our picture freezes quite often . We are tuned into Winter Hill and we live at the top of Sandy Lane Accrington
Old 25-10-2012, 17:00   #4
God Member

A quick google reveals that wind farms can cause the signal disruption.

Electromagnetic fields and marine organisms

"During the generation, transmission and utilisation of electromagnetic energy, the devices generate electromagnetic disturbance that can interfere with the normal operation of other systems.

Wind turbines can potentially disrupt electromagnetic signals used in telecommunications, navigation and radar services. The degree and nature of the interference will depend on:

The location of the wind turbine between receiver and transmitter.
Characteristics of the rotor blades.
Characteristics of receiver.
Signal frequency.
The radio wave propagation in the local atmosphere.

Interference can be produced by three elements of a wind turbine: Tower, rotating blades and generator. Tower and blades may obstruct, reflect or refract the electromagnetic waves."
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 21:13   #5
Senior Member+

ahh! i knew they were new! i was in baxenden last week and asked my friend how long they'd been there and she had never noticed them lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 23:25   #6

I live in Baxenden and the reception has been getting steadily worse but it's not just the BBC channels either. I live on an extremely windy corner and thought the aerial needed tweaking but my local aerial technician intimated that its the wind farm which is affecting the reception in Baxenden and he also feels it's got worse as the year progressed.

According to the BBC website the developers and local council are responsible for sorting out the problem.

<<Terrestrial television transmissions for reception within the UK are the joint responsibility of the BBC and Ofcom. The transmission network is provided and operated on behalf of the broadcasters by Arqiva.
Where a new development such as a wind farm causes reception problems, we look to the develop to rectify these. Planning authorities sometimes require a legally binding commitment, under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 or Section 75 of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997, in order to enforce this at the outset.
The BBC and Ofcom have produced a technical document, aimed at town planners and developers, entitled 'Tall structures and their impact on broadcast and other wireless services'. See the link in the right-hand column.
If a development causes reception problems, there may be straightforward solutions such as improving the receiving aerials or providing the affected households with an alternative source of suitable television signals. These could be analogue or digital, and could come from a different transmitter, from an existing cable system, or in certain circumstances from a satellite.>>

BBC - Help receiving TV and radio - Wind farms and interference to TV reception
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:01   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Have you tried plotting a straight line from your house to the Winter Hill transmitter to see if they are between you and the transmitter?

Google maps should help you do that
Old 30-10-2012, 12:12   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have you tried plotting a straight line from your house to the Winter Hill transmitter to see if they are between you and the transmitter?

Google maps should help you do that
Before I posted earlier in this thread, I did just that.

It is not possible to be precise because the windfarm is not yet shown on google earth, but I consider that the likelihood is that the windfarm IS on a line between Winterhill and Baxenden.
Old 30-10-2012, 12:29   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think it probably is but it might depend where in Baxenden you are. I would expect it to cause problems for others living around her as well unless it is her aerial and or coax causing the problem.
Old 30-10-2012, 13:22   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think it probably is but it might depend where in Baxenden you are. I would expect it to cause problems for others living around her as well unless it is her aerial and or coax causing the problem.
I link to google maps with 'A' as Winter Hill.

This clearly shows that Ossy is north of the line which could be drawn between Winter hill and Baxenden and so isn't affected

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Win...nter+Hill&z=11
Old 30-10-2012, 16:51   #11

The wind farm site at Home : HyndburnWindFarm gives a detailed OS map with the positions of all 12 windmills which you can xfer to an OS map and draw the line from winter hill. If the map on the web is accurate I can see the wind farm is smack bang between our house and Winter Hill.
Old 30-10-2012, 16:54   #12

Should have said, it's the link labelled windfarm layout not location map.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26   #13
Senior Member+

I have contacted the BBC re reception problem and they tell me there is not a problem with Winter Hill Transmitter so we should contact H.B.C. Ihave this morning sent an email to my local councillor and Hyndburn Borough Council
Old 03-11-2012, 11:38   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I have contacted the BBC re reception problem and they tell me there is not a problem with Winter Hill Transmitter so we should contact H.B.C. Ihave this morning sent an email to my local councillor and Hyndburn Borough Council

Is this a problem for your neighbours as well?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:06   #15
Senior Member+

No one has said so, but we will contact the neighbours as they may think it is down to the weather

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..