Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Lancashire accent (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/lancashire-accent-62470.html)

ktkat 19-09-2012 02:24

Lancashire accent

Hi there

This is probably a strange request, but I'm an actress and have a job coming up in which I have to do a Lancaster accent. I was wondering whether there are any films or TV programmes set in Lancaster (or somewhere nearby) that I could watch and have a listen to the accent? I'm a londoner, so a bit far away... Or maybe there are famous actors/comedians from the area who I could look up on youtube, just to hear them speak?

Any help greatly appreciated! I want to make sure I get the accent right!

Thanks in advance

Katie

MargaretR 19-09-2012 03:28

Re: Lancashire accent

There are some sound archives of regional accents on line but you would hear a better sample by listening to Thora Hird as she acted in The Last of the Summer Wine.

She was born and raised in Morecambe (next door to Lancaster).

There are very subtle differences in Lancashire accents as you move from one town to another but only a native would notice them. To get near as authentic as possible, use Thora as your guide.

flashy 19-09-2012 06:42

Julie Hesmondhalgh (sp?)
Vicky Entwistle
Dominic Brunt

all came from Accrington

jaysay 19-09-2012 08:30

Whistle Down the Wind, may help

flashy 19-09-2012 08:58

Or 'Nature of the beast'
or 'Oranges aren't the only fruit'

Mick 19-09-2012 09:07

or the latest program about shadsworth:D

churchfcrules 19-09-2012 09:18

cant think of the differences of a lancaster accent to an accy one, when i travel up and down country, people think i sound like peter kay, however you and i know that its totally different accents, but to rest of country sounds same.

how many times do you watch a film, and they are supposed to be irish, and have a scottish accent, or vice versa, or families and one is northern irish and the other is southern.

Gremlin 19-09-2012 09:20

Just don't think you will pick up a Lancashire accent by wandering around Accrington.

You will have more chance of hearing third world or Eastern Europe languages.

susie123 19-09-2012 09:40

Try this, also parts 3 and 4 of the same series. This lady is a Morecambe native with a typical accent of the area. She is not an actress and has lived here all her life.

Morecambe Winter Gardens - Part 1 - Intro - YouTube

The actress Cherylee Houston who plays Izzy Arnstrong in Coronation Street is from Morecambe. I'm told she is trying to adopt a Manchester accent but it still sounds Morecambe to me. You could always try Eric Morecambe of course!

I've lived in Morecambe for five years but I'm originally from Accrington and have lived in the south and the midlands for most of my life and as Margaret says there are subtle differences across the county that people may not notice but it's good to get it right! Accrington and Blackburn ARE different from Morecambe/Lancaster believe me!

Margaret Pilkington 19-09-2012 10:41

the accents are different in Burnley and Darwen too...all these places have their own little nuances,phraes and intonations, which it is easy to overlook, unless you come from the place that is being portrayed that is.

churchfcrules 19-09-2012 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1017441)
the accents are different in Burnley and Darwen too...all these places have their own little nuances,phraes and intonations, which it is easy to overlook, unless you come from the place that is being portrayed that is.

i doubt any actor or actress will get an accent, "pinned down", michelle collins, at the moment, got loads of stick over the accent, but loads think its a good lancashire accent, and how many yorkshire accents are there?

guy who plays mr dingle, is from burnley, and sounds exactly the same, had a pint with him a few times, (we were once out in burnley me n the wife n 1 of her friends, we saw him in a pub down town, and the wifes m8, had had a few, marched upto him and said "and does nelly know your in here?", we quickly ushered her away, and left lol)

Margaret Pilkington 19-09-2012 13:01

Yes, you are right.......many accents are lumped together as being 'Lancashire' and yes they are...but few people realise there is a variance in the accents of local towns.

flashy 19-09-2012 13:17

I think it's more about local dialect

MoreJoe 19-09-2012 14:04

How about watching Jane Horrocks in her role as "Bubble" in the early episodes of Absolutely Fabulous.

churchfcrules 19-09-2012 14:11

Or find a recording of alfred wainwright, he was from Blackburn and moved to Kendal, more up that way