Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 18:10   #16
g78

Post Re: Ghosts and haunted buildings.

Lesley you wicked, wicked woman.... :P
Old 11-09-2003, 19:37   #17
Senior Member+

i just fell off my bloody chair good job i havent a bad heart. have applauded you for that.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:18   #18
Jo

Salmesbury hall is definitely haunted, and St. Anne's school on Cobham road had a "White Lady" around the fuire escape area. Don't know if that was just kids stories, but we were definitely really scared, that building was really old and spooky.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 18:59   #19
Senior Member+

Have to agrre with the famous Salmesbury Hall and the tale of the white lady
Old 18-09-2003, 12:31   #20
Jo

I can't get into the image you mention, Lesley, would love to see it. The file is a swf, anybody any idea what programme is needed to open it?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 14:29   #21

The ghost at salmesbury hall is the daughter of a catholic man who owned the house she fell in love with a protestant boy and they used to meet near the river, on night when they met up her brother followed her and overheard them talking of eloping at the arranged time and place her brother turned up and killed her lover, she was sent to a convent  and was sent insane by the thought of her lover being murdered. She is the ghost seen by many she is often seen coming out of a little path way (opposite the house) on her way back from the river where she would met her man.

Very sad story.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2003, 11:05   #22

Sorry cant help but it is a fascinating subject. I would be very interested on anything you find out though in the area.

katy xx
malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 17:31   #23

I know I worked in some weird places. First the Dunkenhalgh. Yes, the girl was a sevant in the house and it was the son of the house who made her pregnant. Told to me by the Burrall family who owned the Dunk years ago Second. Yes, there was a ghost in the old Odean. I also used to work in the Pickwick and many strange things happened in there because the top floor is conected to the cinema.  The ghost was a guy who worked on the cinema when it was being built but fell to his death from the roof I believe.
The post office on Stanhill Lane is also known to be haunted by a lady. Girl I worked with years ago lived there and told me many stories of things going missing in the house. Her daughter also saw the ghost many times. Don't forget this is also the place where James Hargreaves lived who invented the spinning jenny.
Chingle Hall near Preston is also known to be haunted by a monk but I don't know why.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 18:44   #24

chingle hall is the most haunted place in britain and you used to be able to stop there for the night but they have stopped doing that now

http://www.btinternet.com/~loonboy/para_chingle.html

http://www.lancshalls.co.uk/Preston/chinglehall.htm

http://www.accy.net/parkinn.htm

these are a couple of sites about chingle hall you might be interested in!

Dunkenhalgh Hall, Clayton-le-Moors,nr.Accrington. This is now a popular hotel,but was once the home of the Walmesley family,then Petre family. The Petre family employed a French Governess called Lucette in the 18th century,she fell in love with a visitor to the hall and became pregnant by him,he refused to marry her,so she threw herself into the nearby Hyndburn River. Her ghost,shrouded in white is seen in the hotel grounds around Christmas time

happy reading

jason

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 22:03   #25
Junior Member+

me and a few friends of mine looked into stopping there for a night and they had stopped doing it a few months before we checked,i was well peeved.
becky hotlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 18:34   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My gran used to tell us of the headless horseman near the Dunkenhalgh when we lived in Church. We think it was to keep us away from the canal which separated Church Kirk from the Dunk. It was all fields etc then instead of motorway.
It did work though, we never went near the canal.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2003, 10:42   #27

WE used to collect conkers in the Dunkenagh grounds and explor the tunnels under the hall you could hear the people talking above, there was an entrance just near the avenue of trees, but they bloked it off when we got caught ( circa, 1960 ). Didnt see any ghosts, The Birrills were there then. Then they opend Mitton Hall,  
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 14:17   #28
Junior Member+

i know a very spooky place. if you go to blackburn road where it links with the bottom of union road at Church theres an old mill house next to the cannel. If you go round the back (you may have to climb a wall) theres a entrence in to the building (window) or if that has been sealed off then theres a 10foot climb up the wall to a hole in the wall. any way if you explore the rooms and aviod the fire damage floor areas theres some spooky stuff.

and if you go up to the top floor and climb on to the roof you can climb into the old pub.
sean hirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 16:01   #29
God Member

What sort of spooky stuff, Sean? I'm fasinated by this one....I know that building should have listed status because if it's historical significance but although the authorities know who the owner is they are unable to trace him...that's no excuse for the pub next door, mind...whoever owns that should be made to secure it at least.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 17:47   #30
Senior Member+

I'm with you on this one tealeaf,the only scarey thing about this place is the appalling condition that it has got it self into. If i remember rightly a few years ago there was talk about it being refurbished, and turned into a restaurant. It's a wonder young kids have'nt been badly injured due to it's appalling condition.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..