Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 4 Post By annesingleton
  • 1 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2012, 14:13   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

In Time For New Year.

Department of Health launches new anti-smoking campaign - video | Society | guardian.co.uk

Yet more propaganda? Or is it?

They claim in this ad' that every 15 fags mutates a cell in your body.

Do they say it's a bad/good/super mutation?

No, just that it mutates.

There are guesstimated to be 100 Trillion cells in the Human body.

If Jesus had started smoking on day one of his birth and was still alive today he would have mutated just over 730,000 cells because of the habit.
I know I'm not going to live as long so mine are going to be much, much less.

In fact a staggeringly low percentage of my cells are going to be affected by smoking.

Quote:
naturally occurring DNA damages arise about 10,000 to 100,000 times per day per mammalian cell.
Taken from here:-

Mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not life's most reliable source, but gives us less reason to panic than the advert does.

Yes I and others smokers know it's bad for us, but is there a real need for something that is meant to cause panic amongst non thinkers as the above advert?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2012, 14:58   #2
Beacon of light

Re: In Time For New Year.

Mt feeling about these scare tactics is that very soon smokers become 'turned off' to these images.......they become, over time, much less effective.
People will only give up smoking if they want to...for themselves, not for any other reason.

It is, in a sense, like nagging a 12 year old to tidy his room...while ever you are nagging him, he won't do it...on principle, but maybe, just maybe once you give up - he goes and does it, because he wants to...rather than because you nagged him to do it
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 18:42   #3
God Member

Fags will never be banned whilst Tories rule.

They just don't want you to enjoy it, because Fagging is a perverted pastime of Eton boys.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Department of Health launches new anti-smoking campaign - video | Society | guardian.co.uk

Yet more propaganda? Or is it?

They claim in this ad' that every 15 fags mutates a cell in your body.

No, just that it mutates.

There are guesstimated to be 100 Trillion cells in the Human body.

If Jesus had started smoking on day one of his birth and was still alive today he would have mutated just over 730,000 cells because of the habit.
I know I'm not going to live as long so mine are going to be much, much less.

In fact a staggeringly low percentage of my cells are going to be affected by smoking.

Taken from here:-

Mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not life's most reliable source, but gives us less reason to panic than the advert does.

Yes I and others smokers know it's bad for us, but is there a real need for something that is meant to cause panic amongst non thinkers as the above advert?
I haven't posted on here for a while but had to respond to Less with this one - my message to the government would be either ban cigarettes which you can't because of the enormous revenue it creates or shut up and let the smokers who have contributed to the economy just get on with it - please!
cashman, Eric, BERNADETTE and 1 others like this.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:53   #5
Senior Member+

Looks pretty horrible to me, but since I don't smoke and never have it's nowt really to do with me , though it has contributed to putting my daughter off the whole idea which can only be a good thing.
Old 30-12-2012, 03:49   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If I wasn't mistaken they say these mutation leads onto cancer? that would be Bad.... right?

edit: watching it again. Perhaps not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I haven't posted on here for a while
why not?

Last edited by Restless; 30-12-2012 at 03:58.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 03:38   #7

I don't see it as much different to the pictures that are on cigarette packets now. I've never heard from any ex-smokers I know, that they gave up because of an image or something from an outside source. It's always been because of their own personal concerns. E.g getting out of breath, coughing on a morning, vanity, self-consciousness, having to go outside when their friends who don't smoke are inside, in public house/bar/venue. I don't know, it may work for some and It's going to happen .
For the wording of the 'advert', It's 'Run of the mill' ...I suppose most people won't question it. They'll just see the images and it will either have an effect or it won't..
Old 31-12-2012, 07:03   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I don't see it as much different to the pictures that are on cigarette packets now. I've never heard from any ex-smokers I know, that they gave up because of an image or something from an outside source. It's always been because of their own personal concerns. E.g getting out of breath, coughing on a morning, vanity, self-consciousness, having to go outside when their friends who don't smoke are inside, in public house/bar/venue. I don't know, it may work for some and It's going to happen .
For the wording of the 'advert', It's 'Run of the mill' ...I suppose most people won't question it. They'll just see the images and it will either have an effect or it won't..
i agree, i gave up 4 months ago,sod all to do wi any images etc, no other reason but the cost. i also know no-one who gave up through n image,health yeh know a few.
Old 31-12-2012, 08:08   #9
Resting in Peace

Having once been a smoker, I know full well the havoc smoking can cause, although when I started it was cool and the done thing, but the first time I was told by a doctor to cut down, because it was damaging my health, I gave up, that was 35 years ago next month. To me anything which puts people off smoking is a good thing, but I would never be so presumptive to preach to people the error of their ways if they smoke, its an individual choice.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 15:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Having once been a smoker, I know full well the havoc smoking can cause, although when I started it was cool and the done thing, but the first time I was told by a doctor to cut down, because it was damaging my health, I gave up, that was 35 years ago next month. To me anything which puts people off smoking is a good thing, but I would never be so presumptive to preach to people the error of their ways if they smoke, its an individual choice.
It's the preaching horse manure that really pees me off ... Smoking is a health "issue" (hate that buzz word; should have a warning label on it), and that's it ... period. But to the smoking nazi assholes, it is a moral and ethical issue. They preach as if, somehow, smokers are "bad" people No they are not; they are ordinary people who happen to have an addiction. One, by the way, which is legal. Not only that, it is one that puts billions into government coffers, way more money than it costs to treat those who suffer from the ill-effects of smoking.

Put more money and effort into educating the young ... try to catch them before they start smoking. Forget the bs labels; they don't work. Like the one we had for a while here: "Smoking is Addictive" ... no shiite Sherlock; I always wondered why I smoked the damn things. When warning labels were minimalist ... you know, the ones across the top of the pack ... a buddy of mine made some up on his computer, ones which you could stick on over the real ones. I remember a couple of them: "Warning, Smoking Makes Your Penis Grow"; and "Warning, Smoking Enlarges and Firms Up Your Breasts".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 15:30   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Warning, Smoking Enlarges and Firms Up Your Breasts".
Hey, I didn't know that, I'm going to start rolling more enthusiastically from two points of view now.

Could he also print me a label, 'spend all day smoking and you'll grow a vagina?'

Not too big a label, I don't want it frustratingly out of reach of my cherished penis.
walkinman221 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 17:25   #12
Beacon of light

Oh......Less stop it I have just wet my pants......crying with laughing!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's the preaching horse manure that really pees me off ... Smoking is a health "issue" (hate that buzz word; should have a warning label on it), and that's it ... period. But to the smoking nazi assholes, it is a moral and ethical issue. They preach as if, somehow, smokers are "bad" people No they are not; they are ordinary people who happen to have an addiction. One, by the way, which is legal. Not only that, it is one that puts billions into government coffers, way more money than it costs to treat those who suffer from the ill-effects of smoking.

Put more money and effort into educating the young ... try to catch them before they start smoking. Forget the bs labels; they don't work. Like the one we had for a while here: "Smoking is Addictive" ... no shiite Sherlock; I always wondered why I smoked the damn things. When warning labels were minimalist ... you know, the ones across the top of the pack ... a buddy of mine made some up on his computer, ones which you could stick on over the real ones. I remember a couple of them: "Warning, Smoking Makes Your Penis Grow"; and "Warning, Smoking Enlarges and Firms Up Your Breasts".
I agree with all this post-and I remember those labels they were funny

I gave up by accident!We were house-sitting for my parents. I had lost my tobacco-well it was actually in the car, but I couldn't find it in the dark..And I had no idea where any shops were or anything....... Neill had his electric vapouriser that he used to give up , he had bought me one for my birthday but because I didn't want to give up, I hadn't touched it. This time, I tried his , liked it and got mine out when I got home. Not smoked since, use the vapouriser substitute instead. I admit I still vape as much as I smoked, but seeing as I never wanted to give up-didn't feel I had much reason to and guess hadn't gotten around to wanting to, I am still glad and feel good to have binned the burning
I didn't have any of the usual concerns, it didn't cost me more than a couple of £1s a week if that, as I didn't usually pay for it , ever smoked when I went out for a drink or was having wine at home...Didn't start until I was 22 (!) Still ran every day... No symptoms of health-damage. ...Adverts against smoking never touched me-but then I rarely saw them, never watched TV .

Last edited by Sunflower49; 01-01-2013 at 07:16.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..