Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 20:08   #31
Resting In Peace

Re: What was the name of.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Couldn't have been known as the Little Crown, until the Big Crown was built though ....

Mind you,was another Crown Inn in 1869 ...listed as Dyke Nook. Not the one way up Whalley Road. Think an area near the Castle Pub was listed as this.

Was probably allowed though, because one was in New Accrington, the other in Old Accrington.
Kate I grew up in that area near the Castle and I don't ever remember it being referred to as Dyke Nook, only the area further up Whalley Road near the house of that name. Couldn't the name Old Accrington have extended that far away from the centre of town?

Can't think of any other possible pubs between the Castle and Crown apart from Oaklea and Grey Horse today.
Old 11-03-2012, 20:34   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Twas the Crown as i recall was just up past Barnes n before the Ritz cinema a very small Massey House, never actually had a drink in it as i was ejected whilst ordering me first.
Old 11-03-2012, 20:42   #33
Beacon of light

Thanks Cashy....I knew you would know...and my memory isn't so dusty....seeing as I remember it was a Massey house.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:43   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Twas the Crown as i recall was just up past Barnes n before the Ritz cinema a very small Massey House, never actually had a drink in it as i was ejected whilst ordering me first.
How did you manage that, or is this yet another tale that can only be repeated in the Oaklea?
Old 11-03-2012, 20:44   #35
Beacon of light

I was going to ask, but then, thought it might not be fit for telling.

Perhaps it was because he was under-age and they sussed him?
Old 11-03-2012, 20:45   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Already told 'em that .....do concentrate Retlaw

Oh, and the one at Dyke Nook. Not the one near the Dyke Nook house up Whalley Road, 'cause is listed as Old Accrington. Further down near The Castle.

Know you know all this, just wanted you to confirm the Dyke Nook area for me ('cause I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this thread).
Got your Sarky at on again, the boundry line of Old Accrington, runs along Cannon St, down St James St, in front of the Clown Hall, up Peel St, and off toward the Coppice area, so all that area was in Old Accrington, including Dyke Nook.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-03-2012 at 20:48.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:45   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
How did you manage that, or is this yet another tale that can only be repeated in the Oaklea?
Oh i used to find such things pretty easy, see yeh sat.
Old 11-03-2012, 20:47   #38
Beacon of light

So you aren't telling us then Cashy
Old 11-03-2012, 20:47   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i used to find such things pretty easy, see yeh sat.
Can't wait to hear this one!
Old 11-03-2012, 20:52   #40
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Kate I grew up in that area near the Castle and I don't ever remember it being referred to as Dyke Nook, only the area further up Whalley Road near the house of that name. Couldn't the name Old Accrington have extended that far away from the centre of town?

Can't think of any other possible pubs between the Castle and Crown apart from Oaklea and Grey Horse today.
Think Retlaw has put this one to bed.
Old 11-03-2012, 23:19   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Think Retlaw has put this one to bed.
Indeed, Susie ... didn't think Old Accrington extended that far up, and could have sworn seen something marked as Dyke Nook further down, even though knew was an area further up. Know it surprised me at the time .... hmmm. maybe it was wrongly marked or summat. Retlaw will now tell me am losing my marbles, so will save him the trouble....LOL.

All the houses around the Crown were addressed as Dyke Nook seemingly and not Whalley Road as they are now.

Dyke Nook Lodge was not built until 1901.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27   #42
Resting in Peace

All this talk of Massey's has brought back the morbid fear of Massey's Mild beer, not one for the faint hearted, in fact it was so good they rarely sold it in Burnley pubs
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Indeed, Susie ... didn't think Old Accrington extended that far up, and could have sworn seen something marked as Dyke Nook further down, even though knew was an area further up. Know it surprised me at the time .... hmmm. maybe it was wrongly marked or summat. Retlaw will now tell me am losing my marbles, so will save him the trouble....LOL.

All the houses around the Crown were addressed as Dyke Nook seemingly and not Whalley Road as they are now.

Dyke Nook Lodge was not built until 1901.
At least Retlaw and I were singing from the same hymn sheet on this occasion!

If I may be permitted a teeny correction Dyke Nook Lodge dates from 1907 not 1901...

Dyke Nook Lodge - Accrington - Lancashire - England | British Listed Buildings

And I see from google Streetview that the nameplate on the gatepost says Dyke Nook not Dyke Nook Lodge!
Old 27-05-2012, 01:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Wasn't there a cinema next to the little Crown,the name Ritz comes to mind like the dance place.I remember queuing up to see a film there can't recall the name of the film but all teenagers went because Frankie Lane was in it singing That Old Black Magic in the film.

P.S. When you look back we were as daft as all teenagers through the years.
If my memory serves me correctly "The Littel Crown" was on the right hand side of Abbey St (coming from Little Blackburn Rd or Peel st) just past a Church Grounds (I think), it was also used for the young males to pluck up enough courage for them to dance with the young females at "The Ritz Dance Hall" which was next to it. The Ritz DanceHall was very popular when Frankie Laine was at his zenith, also the drummer of the resident band used to play a piece called "Skin Deep" which also was popular in the late 50's/early 60's.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 07:52   #45
Beacon of light

It wasn't Abbey St. It was Church St.....and yes, the Little Crown was next to the Ritz Dance Hall.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..