Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   What was the name of....... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/what-was-the-name-of-60950.html)

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 14:46

What was the name of.......

The Massey pub(at least I think it was a Massey pub) on the opposite corner to the Bridge pub(Church Street) in Accrington?
Only those who were out and about drinking in the sixties, will be able to scratch their heads and wrack their brains for this one....Come on Cashy and Jaysay...I'm relying on you.

This pub closed in the sixties and the day after it closed, the Astronaut opened in Union Street.

Karma for the answer.(and I don't know the answer, but I will trust you lot)

katex 11-03-2012 15:02

Re: What was the name of.......

Was that not the Bay Horse,Margaret, that we have talked about recently. Not sure about the Brewer...don't drink beer...LOL.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 15:06

I don't think so Kate.....I thought it was called The Crown........the girl whose parents had this pub went to school with me......Susan Denwood.

It was a very small pub...only one room....and in my recollection it was Accrington's little Crown, because the big Crown was near Joe Morts........well, that is unless my memory is failing and anyone out there knows different.
But thanks Kate.

katex 11-03-2012 15:17

Think the Bay Horse may have not been operating then as a pub anyway.... although the buildings were still called Bay Horse buildings.
Don't remember one on the corner.
Haha... yes, if there were one, Cashy will know.

By the way, do you mean diagonally opposite or one of the other corners ?

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 15:18

As I say, it was very small and easy to miss.

steve2qec 11-03-2012 15:21

There was a pub called the Crown Inn on Church Street according to the 1909 map.

The Bay Horse was facing the bottom of Warner Street.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 15:21

this request is not to satisfy my wonderings, but himself has been down to the bowling club and they were discussing it there.
Himself remembers the last night in there before it closed.......in those days one pub had to close before another one could open....and it closed so that the Astronaut could have a licence.
I don't know if it is the same today.....one pub closes before another one gets to open........more pubs are closing today than opening!

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 15:22

Was it on the opposite corner to the Bridge pub Steve?

If it was, then you get the Karma.

steve2qec 11-03-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 976927)
Was it on the opposite corner to the Bridge pub Steve?

If it was, then you get the Karma.

Unfortunately it doesn't show where on Church Street it was!
There's usually a P.H., Inn or Hotel at the location. It shows the Commercial, Bay Horse and Bridge but not The Crown but the name's on a list of "Beerhouses" printed on the back of the map.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 15:33

thanks Steve, much appreciated......perhaps the older drinkers on here will be able to throw some light on the subject. It probably was more of a beerhouse......it was only the size of a living room. Karma anyway.

steve2qec 11-03-2012 15:39

Thanks, Margaret!
There is a small building where Barnes Furniture is now - maybe too small to print in...?

katex 11-03-2012 15:40

Looks about right. Steve... excellent.

Just looked at the licencing of beer houses for 1869. Crown Inn is listed ... was No. 32, which sounds about right ? A Martha Bentley was the applicant.

claytonx 11-03-2012 15:58

Always known as The Little Crown.

katex 11-03-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 976937)
Always known as The Little Crown.

Couldn't have been known as the Little Crown, until the Big Crown was built though .... :D

Mind you,was another Crown Inn in 1869 ...listed as Dyke Nook. Not the one way up Whalley Road. Think an area near the Castle Pub was listed as this.

Was probably allowed though, because one was in New Accrington, the other in Old Accrington.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2012 16:38

I knew Accyweb would come up trumps...as usual.
Good stuff Kate...Karma to you too.....it will come up unsigned as the mouse just fell onto the enter key.:D
The mouse was a bit shaken, but alright now!