Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mobertol
  • 1 Post By susie123
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By jaysay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2013, 13:55   #1
God Member

Talking What's in a name?

I had a bit of a suprise today while watching a piece about the naming of "Baby Cambridge". Now known as Prince George Alexander Louis.

I didn't realise that when he accedes to the throne Prince Charles can choose any of his names to be known by. He is Charles Philip Arthur George.

It is widely speculated that he will choose to be known as King George VII

I must admit I never thought Charles III sounded right. Charles I came to a sticky end and his son "The merry monarch" had twelve illegitimate children but left no heir, so not a very auspicious name really.

As to "Wills" he can choose from William Arthur Philip Louis. I think we can rule out Philip (too Spanish), Louis (too French), so it's either William IV which I don't fancy (the House of Orange and it's connection to The Netherlands). Nah, if I was him I'd go for Arthur - has a sort of legendary feel to it and he'd be the first.

So now for young Prince George who only has three names to go at...for me it has to be Alexander if he wants to strive for greatness.

Does the Queen have a horse named Bucephalus?
Judith Addison likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2013, 15:16   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: What's in a name?

Well both Edward VIII and George VI chose names different from what they were known by before they became king. I'm not sure that the name even needs to be one they were baptised with.

Anyway Baby Cambridge's names have a bit of a Greek flavour to them - both George and Alexander having Greek origins. Pity they didn't add Philip as well in honour of great-grandaddy. He was the father of Alexander the Great. By the time he gets to the throne, if ever, he'll probably just be known as Alex the easiest of the names to shorten.
mobertol likes this.
Old 25-07-2013, 15:58   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

William IV which I don't fancy (the House of Orange and it's connection to The Netherlands).
So go on, expand on your dislike of the Netherlands?

I can understand a Catholic dislike of the original 'orangeman', if you really find a need for ancient prejudice, but Holland? what a wonderful place that is, I've spent many a holiday there on the piste, always welcoming, sometimes they even help us kick the ****e out of France, whatever can be wrong with that?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:10   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So go on, expand on your dislike of the Netherlands?

I can understand a Catholic dislike of the original 'orangeman', if you really find a need for ancient prejudice, but Holland? what a wonderful place that is, I've spent many a holiday there on the piste, always welcoming, sometimes they even help us kick the ****e out of France, whatever can be wrong with that?
I suppose they did give us tulips as well...and 300 or so years have passed

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I suppose they did give us tulips as well...and 300 or so years have passed
Yes, 300 years eh, time I took another holiday, last time I was there my ski instructor said I was good enough to move from the beginners slopes and really get on the piste.

Is It true that to keep the water off their streets every house has a very deep basement?
mobertol likes this.
Old 25-07-2013, 19:55   #6
Full Member+

Surprised there is enough high ground in Holland to ski on. It seems an unlikely choice for a skiing holiday.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 21:09   #7
Full Member+

by the time the baby becomes king no one will care what he calls himself LOL
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 21:32   #8
God Member

The Rebuplican Movement is gaining support - he might never make it, and be plain Mr.

Whether he uses the surname Windsor, or Mountbatten, or Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who will care?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:08   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Surprised there is enough high ground in Holland to ski on. It seems an unlikely choice for a skiing holiday.
Oh deary me Rowlf, I think you may have missed our less's tongue in cheek approach to the word "Piste".
mobertol likes this.
Old 26-07-2013, 06:18   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Can they not do what new popes do? pick any name they choose?
Old 26-07-2013, 09:43   #11
God Member

the only V's and IV's iv ever given a damn about are star-wars ones

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oh deary me Rowlf, I think you may have missed our less's tongue in cheek approach to the word "Piste".
Shhh, I'd noticed that but refrained from explaining it, we all know how sensitive these dingles can be! (Plus by the time the penny dropped we'd have filled the server with simpler and simpler explanations).
Old 26-07-2013, 11:18   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well both Edward VIII and George VI chose names different from what they were known by before they became king. I'm not sure that the name even needs to be one they were baptised with.

Anyway Baby Cambridge's names have a bit of a Greek flavour to them - both George and Alexander having Greek origins. Pity they didn't add Philip as well in honour of great-grandaddy. He was the father of Alexander the Great. By the time he gets to the throne, if ever, he'll probably just be known as Alex the easiest of the names to shorten.
I think your right about not necessarily choosing a name they were baptised with. Someone on TV discussing this said the Monarch could choose any name they felt appropriate to their reign.
Old 26-07-2013, 13:21   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The Rebuplican Movement is gaining support - he might never make it, and be plain Mr.

Whether he uses the surname Windsor, or Mountbatten, or Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who will care?

House of Windsor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If there was a choice between King George or President Blair, Brown or Cameron, give me King George anyday
susie123 likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..