Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 00:42   #1
Accy Goddess

Why?

When we first moved to Accy I was gob smacked because almost everybody eats their Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday.
Why is this.
Even religious people do this and they are supposed to know about Easter?
Perhaps Accywebbers can enlighten me.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2007, 06:13   #2
God Member

Re: Why?

i ate mine about 3 weeks before easter....only cos i'm greedy n fat
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04   #3
God Member

We started ours on Good Friday, we're not religious so not really sure which day your supposed to eat them, though Sunday is Easter Day I think.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:41   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

are you not supposed to??
im not religious either so dont know the crack!!
my kids ate them before and on the day, are you suppose to keep em or summat???
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13   #5

doesnt matter when you eat them they were only ever made to make some one rich chocolate has nothing to do with the bible
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
When we first moved to Accy I was gob smacked because almost everybody eats their Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday.
Why is this.
what do you mean anne does it really matter when we eat em, as davo69 said chocolate is naff all to do with the bible, so please enlighten us
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52   #7
Resident Waffler

Well I'm one of those 'religious people' I suppose and Easter Sunday is the celebration day for me so that's the day to eat yer eggs!

Good Friday is definately a no-no for egg eating as Friday was they day of the Atonement and Crucifixion and is therefore a sombre and reflective day. Saturday was the second day, the Jewish sabbath when basically not a lot happened as far as the disciples were concerned. Jesus' body had been laid in the tomb on the Friday eve before the start of the Sabbath and then the Saturday was their holy day and day for not doing anything. The third day, the Sunday, the day after their Sabbath was the day when they could do things again and Mary Magdalene went to the tomb - remember they hadn't had time to embalm him or anything on the Friday because Sabbath starts at sunset. (good job too!) But instead of finding a body she found an empty tomb - and the risen Christ.

So Sunday, the third day, the day he rose from the dead is the celebration day and the most obvious day to me to chomp on the celebratory egg or two. Mind you, the number of eggs our kids got from friends and each other they will still be eating them a week later!!

Hope that explains it from a religious person's point of view anyway

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54   #8

[quote=ANNE;410040]When we first moved to Accy I was gob smacked because almost everybody eats their Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday.
/quote]
Have lived in Accy 80 plus years and this is the first time I have heard that. Look forward to any verification.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57   #9
Resident Waffler

So have you always eaten them on the Monday Bert? It's actually the existence of Easter Monday which puzzles me because there is no Biblical reference to the Monday as anything significant. It's the Friday and the Sunday that were the pivotal days, the first day and the third day.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well I'm one of those 'religious people' I suppose and Easter Sunday is the celebration day for me so that's the day to eat yer eggs!

Hope that explains it from a religious person's point of view anyway
Thanks Willow -- I must have been typing when you posted.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
Why is this.
easter eggs don't last two minutes in our house. They are there to be eaten aren't they? As Homer would say "Mmm chocolate".
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So have you always eaten them on the Monday Bert?
Never thought about it before -- eaten them at any time. Off shortly to Canterbury and if I see the Archbishop will ask him about it.

Last edited by Owd Bert; 12-04-2007 at 09:04.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:28   #13
Resting In Peace

Is it not to celebrate the end of the fasting period of Lent when traditionaly on Easter Sunday, catholics may cease their fasting and start again whatever they gave up for lent, after they attend Sunday mass.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39   #14
Give, give, give member

I'm with Willow. Traditionally Easter eggs should be eaten on Easter Day, as that is the day the women who were going to annoint Jesus's body, saw that the stone, later represented by an egg, had been rolled away from the entrance to the tomb.

Another reason why we use eggs to celebrate the resurrection is that one is mentioned when Mary Magdalene went to visit Emporer Tiberias.

Tradition relates, that in Italy Mary Magdalene visited the Emperor Tiberias (14-37 AD) and proclaimed to him about Christ's Resurrection. According to tradition, she took him an egg as a symbol of the Resurrection, a symbol of new life with the words: "Christ is Risen!" Then she told Tiberias that, in his Province of Judea, Jesus the Nazarene, a holy man, a maker of miracles, powerful before God and all mankind, was executed on the instigation of the Jewish High-Priests and the sentence affirmed by the procurator Pontius Pilate. Tiberias responded that no one could rise from the dead, anymore than the egg she held could turn red. Miraculously, the egg immediately began to turn red as testimony to her words. Then, and by her urging, Tiberias had Pilate removed from Jerusalem to Gaul, where he later suffered a horrible sickness and an agonizing death.

http://www.thenazareneway.com/mary_magdalene.htm

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:54   #15
God Member

I never thought that Easter eggs had any religious status. I thought they symbolised the start of Spring mthead's also just explained they symbolise the tomb ...... eeeee you learn sommat new every day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..