Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 14:01   #1
Senior Member+

Would a lead lined coffin float?

I only start a new thread on this in the hope that some younger(or older) brain more agile than mine will see it and check it out.
I loved the story(Heritage and History,John Kelly's album,post 193) about the coffin which floated its occupant 3,500 miles home.Tealeaf didn't think a leadlined coffin would float, I wasn't sure.So-
6ft man, say 10 stone=140 lb(he'd been ill)
Coffin 7ftx2ft 6"x1ft 6"(to leave room for his pillow, shoes and some breathing space!)
Coffin volume=26.25cu ft. If it just floated it would displace this amount of water,which weighs 1641lb(62.5lb/cu ft,salt water would weigh more!).
Lead lining for coffin requires 63.5 sq/ft of lead,1/16 inch thick=0.34 cu/ft lead.SG of lead =11.35 so lead weighs 240lb.
Man+lead= 380lb(ignore wood coffin,it floats anyway).
Water displaced can be up to 1641lb so the coffin would EASILY float and the soldered seams on the lead would make it watertight.
Three questions-1.Am I right?
2. Does anyone care?
3.Am I a boring old fart who should go back to sleep?
I hope I'm right, I love the story. Any more,Busman747?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2010, 16:31   #2
God Member

Re: Would a lead lined coffin float?

Yep your correct, got a similar answer , remeber being taught this stuff (floatation and displacement) as a second or third year apprentice by Bill Cain (think he came from Ossy) up at the Sandy Lane tech in the 60s.

If you were really a boring old fart , you would also have told us the depth at which the coffin would have floated at (amount above and below the waterline )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:54   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Old 06-11-2010, 18:41   #4
Senior Member+

Is that 3 yes's to my questions? I didn't really want a TOTALLY honest answer!
380 lb displaces 6.08cu ft water-i.e a quarter of the coffin volume.So the coffin floats with 4.2" in the water,1ft 1.8" out. It hardly gets wet-I'm surprised.
You're right, 3 yes's to my questions.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:39   #5

I imagine the porosity of the wood and any brass ornamentation would come into the equation, cant see it having a major effect on the outcome tho...3 by the way
Old 07-11-2010, 00:51   #6
God Member

Yeah all this clever talk.. but I'd like to know if I shoved Bagpuss in a lead coffin would it sink?.. or a even in a black bin liner?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:18   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Is that 3 yes's to my questions? I didn't really want a TOTALLY honest answer!
380 lb displaces 6.08cu ft water-i.e a quarter of the coffin volume.So the coffin floats with 4.2" in the water,1ft 1.8" out. It hardly gets wet-I'm surprised.
You're right, 3 yes's to my questions.
Great Gordon - or will be when I find he Aspirin
Old 07-11-2010, 07:26   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
6ft man, say 10 stone=140 lb(he'd been ill)
Coffin 7ftx2ft 6"x1ft 6"(to leave room for his pillow, shoes and some breathing space!)
Another question for you Gordon er whats the point in leaving breathing space in a lead lined coffin?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:37   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Yep your correct, got a similar answer , remember being taught this stuff (floatation and displacement) as a second or third year apprentice by Bill Cain (think he came from Ossy) up at the Sandy Lane tech in the 60s.

If you were really a boring old fart , you would also have told us the depth at which the coffin would have floated at (amount above and below the waterline )
Bill Cain certainly did come from Ossy, lived on Fielding Lane, his Daughter Barbara was a friend of mine, sadly he died about 2 years ago
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another question for you Gordon er whats the point in leaving breathing space in a lead lined coffin?
Quick on this morning mick, been sleeping in the knife box mate
Old 07-11-2010, 09:49   #11

Concrete boats float
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
I did actually wonder that myself Mick........ but you got in there before me.
The story of my life
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 14:12   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
1. They might have got it wrong,if he came round it would give him time to shout.
2. It helped my calculations by giving me more volume! Why should't I tweek it a little, politicians do it all the time?
I thought it was a kind thought, would you like to be squeezed in a small box, just because you're dead?
Old 07-11-2010, 19:58   #14
God Member

My apologies, Gordon in getting you to do this simple mathematical exercise. The problem was that I read the original exert and made the assumption that because the coffin would have been bashed around as it's granite mausoleum was destroyed it would no longer have been waterproof; in fact, I have made the assumption throughout that no coffin is 100% waterproof whatever the circumstances.

I accept that a partially lead lined coffin may well be capable of floating in the short term (depending upon volume displacement) but there is also a secondary problem arising from the effect of seawater salinity on lead - but anyway, I won't go into that now.

I really don't know 'owt about the techniques and procedures in lining a coffin with lead; I assume the objective is to slow the decomposition of the body, in which case it makes far more sense to wrap the corpse itself in lead sheeting rather than line the coffin itself and then solder the surrounds.

I’ve attached a little sketch comprising 2 end views, feet up from a body in a coffin, one with the body wrapped in lead sheet and the second one with the coffin lined with lead, soldered and with a lead lid as well – I just can’t see how the coffin can be waterproof and as such will, after time, invariably sink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lead coffin.jpg (429.9 KB, 16 views)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 20:13   #15
Senior Member+

It might but i would recommend a boat of some description for sailing or floating anywhere, everytime. Vikings used them in death and life so good enough for them good enough for anyone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..