Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 20:18   #16
Senior Member+

Talking Re: Would a lead lined coffin float?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
My apologies, Gordon in getting you to do this simple mathematical exercise. The problem was that I read the original exert and made the assumption that because the coffin would have been bashed around as it's granite mausoleum was destroyed it would no longer have been waterproof; in fact, I have made the assumption throughout that no coffin is 100% waterproof whatever the circumstances.

I accept that a partially lead lined coffin may well be capable of floating in the short term (depending upon volume displacement) but there is also a secondary problem arising from the effect of seawater salinity on lead - but anyway, I won't go into that now.

I really don't know 'owt about the techniques and procedures in lining a coffin with lead; I assume the objective is to slow the decomposition of the body, in which case it makes far more sense to wrap the corpse itself in lead sheeting rather than line the coffin itself and then solder the surrounds.

I’ve attached a little sketch comprising 2 end views, feet up from a body in a coffin, one with the body wrapped in lead sheet and the second one with the coffin lined with lead, soldered and with a lead lid as well – I just can’t see how the coffin can be waterproof and as such will, after time, invariably sink.
Is that less in those coffins?
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2010, 21:58   #17
Always EVIL within us

Re: Would a lead lined coffin float?

If the coffin was actually air-tight, the body would surely become much, much lighter and the longer it decays and the various gasses given off from the corpse may have more boyancy than the original air that was in the coffin at the time of sealing the lid on..........?
Old 07-11-2010, 22:15   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
If the coffin was actually air-tight, the body would surely become much, much lighter and the longer it decays and the various gasses given off from the corpse may have more boyancy than the original air that was in the coffin at the time of sealing the lid on..........?
Think the whole idea of having a sealed lead coffin is to prevent decay , seem to remember reading something during the last swine flu 'epidemic' that the scientific boffins wanted to open a lead lined coffin from the 1918 flu epidemic that killed millions to check the DNA of the chap inside (who was listed as having died from the flu) to see if it was the same/similar virus
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 22:18   #19
God Member

Very hypothetical, Busman. You could also argue that if various gases were given off then the internal pressure would have been such so as to explode the coffin. Is there anyone here who does have knowledge of the rates of various gas discharges from a decomposing male body?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 22:23   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think the whole idea of having a sealed lead coffin is to prevent decay , seem to remember reading something during the last swine flu 'epidemic' that the scientific boffins wanted to open a lead lined coffin from the 1918 flu epidemic that killed millions to check the DNA of the chap inside (who was listed as having died from the flu) to see if it was the same/similar virus
There is a guy in Church Kirk graveyard who is a defo on the 1918/19 Spanish Flu outbreak; however, I'm pretty sure he's never been dug up. I think the characters you are referring to are soldiers who died in the White Russian war of 1919 and were buried in permafrost up by Archangel. But I dunno if they were in a lead coffin or not.
Old 07-11-2010, 22:27   #21
God Member

Quote:
Very hypothetical, Busman. You could also argue that if various gases were given off then the internal pressure would have been such so as to explode the coffin. Is there anyone here who does have knowledge of the rates of various gas discharges from a decomposing male body?
I know of a few town garbage/rubbish tips which have methane collection plants , catchs the gas produced by the buried rotting vegetation but never heard of it being a problem in a cemetry
Old 07-11-2010, 22:31   #22
God Member

Quote:
There is a guy in Church Kirk graveyard who is a defo on the 1918/19 Spanish Flu outbreak; however, I'm pretty sure he's never been dug up. I think the characters you are referring to are soldiers who died in the White Russian war of 1919 and were buried in permafrost up by Archangel. But I dunno if they were in a lead coffin or not.
this is the story , it was bird flu , (not swine flu)

Body in lead coffin may hold key to fighting pandemic | Society | The Guardian
Old 07-11-2010, 22:46   #23
God Member

Ok...that was one scource. I was going off memory; this is what wikipedia has to say:

Spanish flu research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm right about the permafrost; I'm pretty sure about the Russian civil war stuff but at the moment I'm under the influence of a couple of bottles of claret and can't be bothered doing 'owt else (until tomorrow, that is).
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't think you are allowed to smoke in coffins now for just that very reason.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 14:20   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
My apologies, Gordon in getting you to do this simple mathematical exercise.
I’ve attached a little sketch comprising 2 end views, feet up .
Tealeaf, believe me there's no such thing as a 'simple mathematical excercise' for me these days!I have the memory and attention span of a woodlouse.
I love the sketch but you can see why I left the extra air space-your little man is LOOKING OUT at us! He's still alive!
I lined the box because it made the calculations easier and helped my theory by giving more air space.I haven't a clue how they would do it and of course a wood coffin would never be watertight.But it would float for a while in its own right.
It's still a lovely story and I want to believe it so I won't try to work out what the answer would be if they just wrapped the body in lead-if you work it out and it wouldn't float don't tell me!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 14:25   #26
Give, give, give member

We coiud find out at the next State funeral.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 14:25   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I don't think you are allowed to smoke in coffins now for just that very reason.
I'll just go in my best suit then.Spend the money I save on the coffin for cigarettes for the afterlife
Pubs, clubs, now coffins-where will it end?
Old 08-11-2010, 14:26   #28
Give, give, give member

There she goes, down the Thames!

Ooops.

No.

It's sunk.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 14:30   #29
Senior Member+

No, no, no, Garinda! I've just proved she'll float and come back on the rising tide to haunt you!
Old 08-11-2010, 14:47   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
No, no, no, Garinda! I've just proved she'll float and come back on the rising tide to haunt you!
Sooner rather n Later hopefully.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..