Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 14:51   #31
God Member

Re: Would a lead lined coffin float?

The miners have other plans for her - miners carrying her to dustcart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maggie.jpg (3.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-11-2010 at 14:56. Reason: sorry it wont expand - miners carrying her to dustcart
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2010, 14:55   #32
God Member

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...ral-maggie.jpg

...thats better/bigger

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 15:08   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Is there anyone here who does have knowledge of the rates of various gas discharges from a decomposing male body?
If there is they're sick and we don't want to know.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 21:03   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Tealeaf, believe me there's no such thing as a 'simple mathematical excercise' for me these days!I have the memory and attention span of a woodlouse.
I love the sketch but you can see why I left the extra air space-your little man is LOOKING OUT at us! He's still alive!
I'm glad you liked my sketch, Gordon.

I'm thinking of submitting it into next year's Royal Academy Summer Exhibition. The title will be "Man in Sinking Coffin, With Calculations By Gordon Booth".

Or I may entitle it " Artistic Contribution From Accy With No Cost To The Public Purse".

What do you think's best?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39   #35
Senior Member+

I think 'Man in Floating Coffin' would be better. Spare me the credits, I seek not fame.
Whatever, it's an improvement on crocheted sculpture.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Very hypothetical, Busman. You could also argue that if various gases were given off then the internal pressure would have been such so as to explode the coffin. Is there anyone here who does have knowledge of the rates of various gas discharges from a decomposing male body?
If a sealed balloon with some Liquid Nitrogen in it was placed on a scale and weighed say, 1g, although the Nitrogen would soon expand into a gas inflating the balloon, the scale would still register 1g.

So, as long as any gasses within the coffin didn't break the seal it too would still weigh the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Is that less in those coffins?
No I have my own filled with the soil from the place of my birth.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:54   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If a sealed balloon with some Liquid Nitrogen in it was placed on a scale and weighed say, 1g, although the Nitrogen would soon expand into a gas inflating the balloon, the scale would still register 1g.

So, as long as any gasses within the coffin didn't break the seal it too would still weigh the same.

Yeah, but my question was whether or not the resultant gas expansion would be sufficient to explode the coffin.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59   #38

Quote:
Yeah, but my question was whether or not the resultant gas expansion would be sufficient to explode the coffin.
Perhaps if instead of quoting you, I had quoted Busman as I'd meant to, the post would have looked similar to this:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
If the coffin was actually air-tight, the body would surely become much, much lighter and the longer it decays and the various gasses given off from the corpse may have more boyancy than the original air that was in the coffin at the time of sealing the lid on..........?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Old 09-11-2010, 13:44   #39
Senior Member+

Tealeaf, you're still trying to spoil it by being a realist! Is there no romance left in you?
Lead is very ductile so the gas pressure would stretch the lead slowly, thus creating MORE volume and the coffin would float even better! There!
I'll bet you don't even believe in fairies, do you?
Old 09-11-2010, 13:48   #40
God Member

I am merely exploring every avenue, Gordon.
Old 09-11-2010, 14:08   #41
Senior Member+

Actually I still think I could have got it wrong somewhere- I can't believe it would only displace 4.2 inches of water. I was hoping some of our young graduates would come on and prove or disprove it.Perhaps their degrees are not in this sort of subject?
BUT-Neill checked it and agreed, so that's two of us. I'll dream on.
Old 09-11-2010, 14:16   #42
God Member

You sure you got the lead weight right? If you remember when the Queen of Tarts died back in '97, her coffin was lead lined and that apparently weighed 700lbs.
Old 09-11-2010, 14:19   #43
Resting in Peace

Would It still be 4.2 inches If It floated in the Dead Sea?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 14:48   #44
Senior Member+

The 4.2 inches was in fresh water.In salt water it would be even less, in the Dead Sea it would hardly get wet.
Old 09-11-2010, 16:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Tealeaf, you're still trying to spoil it by being a realist! Is there no romance left in you?
Lead is very ductile so the gas pressure would stretch the lead slowly, thus creating MORE volume and the coffin would float even better! There!
I'll bet you don't even believe in fairies, do you?
I'd check with Archimedes if I was you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..