Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52   #466
Junior Member+

Re: Moorhead High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRobinson View Post
I dont want to sound rude but Garry has only got two brothers and one sister and no step siblings, i only know this because hes my uncle, my mum is his sister, its his anniversairy today, 31 years.....
no he has 1 brother an one sister
tracy robinson likes this.
vickylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02   #467
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman View Post
it didnt happen to be a guy called mark newson by any chance did it .
the chap was Garry Robinson My uncle x
Old 08-08-2013, 12:24   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman View Post
it didnt happen to be a guy called mark newson by any chance did it .
yes mark got struck with my eldest brother garry robinson..
vickylou likes this.
tracy robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by the saint 1989 View Post
I went to school with Garry and knew him since we were both 4 years of age till his untimely death. Garry had one sister and one brother , both of whom were younger.
i was ten when my brother garry died.....it would be great if you and anyone that actually knew him well could tell me what was he like
vickylou and mageorge like this.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:48   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I love this site! I remember the whole ordeal with Gary Robinson getting struck by lightening. I was the girlfriend of Allan Tootle at the time (who I believe was Gary's step brother. ) Ahhhh first love....I will never ever forget the moment Mr. Webb (religious studies) and Mr. Lowe (p.e.) came running in to the assembly hall where we were all clustered and made to sing to calm us until the storm had passed. They were drenched and literally sobbing. They had tried to save the boy and could not.

My favorite teachers were Mrs. Poole (commerce) and my art teacher who I only remember as Angela (anyone know her last name?)....she had brilliant red hair....and I remember her, because she really seemed to care about her students. Anyone remember Mr. Sutcliffe? He was either my chemistry or math teacher (getting old - memory fading)....he once lifted me off the ground by my hair for playing catch with a tennis ball in the hallway. Terrible temper ! Mr. White was my music teacher - pompous little man he was....I wanted to play the trumpet, and he informed me that girls do not play the trumpet, and gave me a french horn instead. That lasted two weeks or so. Music was the first subject I dropped, (right before physics) ....funnily enough I am a musician and writer now. Anyone remember the scandal spreading across the school that Mr. White was having an affair with a student....? Can't remember her last name but her first name was Karen.
Ms. Tomlinson caught me smoking with a group of boys and we all got sent to Mr. Mcaffry. The boys all got the cane. I got a letter sent home to my mother. I don't know which was worse.

Tina
Canada
garry robinson was my eldest brother...and garry didnt have any step brothers.....just myself tracy and my brother andrew....later in the year of 1980 our mother gave birth to twin girls angie and kirsty.....both our mum and dad remarried again ....
Old 08-08-2013, 13:28   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy robinson View Post
garry robinson was my eldest brother...and garry didnt have any step brothers.....just myself tracy and my brother andrew....later in the year of 1980 our mother gave birth to twin girls angie and kirsty.....both our mum and dad remarried again ....
i remember alan and his brother graham......my mother moved into freds alan and grahams dads house when my mother and father split...a month or so later my brothers garry and andrew and myself moved into freds house too.we lived there about 6mths... then we moved out ,and stayed with my mothers work mate.
vickylou likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 19:07   #472
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynefitz View Post
best wishes to the Robinson Family.. regards to Andrew... What is Andrew Robinson doing now, do you know where Andrew went to School when he left Moorhead?
Thank you...uncle andrew is good..he lives in hull now..married any as children
Old 08-08-2013, 19:14   #473
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by the saint 1989 View Post
I went to school with Garry and knew him since we were both 4 years of age till his untimely death. Garry had one sister and one brother , both of whom were younger.
i think my mum would like to talk to you...privet message her..
Old 08-08-2013, 19:18   #474
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER View Post
I also remember the poor lad Gary Robinson who got struck by lightening on the playing fields just on the plateau further up from the sandpit near the queens building.I also remember Mr McLaren's infamous peformance as boy george.
my uncle...Garry Robinson...i came on here to find out info abt the day it happened...and his name is mentioned so much...x
Old 14-08-2013, 21:49   #475
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
sorry it was mrs stewart geogy and mr ormrod maths rip my apologies. he also remembered mr haworth meatloaf for biology mr harris physics and mr littler chemmy still cant remember the typist teacher with the wig who was allowed to let all the girls smoke.french trip to bouloungne in 84 was fab any memories of that one.
Mrs Stewart had bad breath. The Blad teacher was Mrs Chippendale. Someone who left in 1981, earlier that year called her "Bald Eagle" to her face.
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:35   #476

I was stood in the corridor which led to the PE block talking to Mr Lowe when Garry was struck and could see straight up to the plateau where it happened, everyone just fell over. I remember after being in the Queens Building Hall and it was still thundering and lightening it was a frightening experience for most you really weren't sure what was going to happen next.

I remember the day of the funeral all the Pupils and Staff lined up on Queens Road West to pay our respects. I seem to remember some trophy in his name after but I can't recall what it was awarded for.
mageorge likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:17   #477
Senior Member+

I was doing art in the end art room of Cromwell Building, the noise of the lightning strike was horrific. News filtered through the school and we were all sent home, parents had started ringing the school panicking as the news had got out. Horrible.
I remember standing on Queen's Road West as the cortege passed.
Old 25-08-2013, 17:35   #478

Hi, I too was at Moorhead when Gary sadly passed... My memory is very vague, but like many others, the events of that day have haunted me all of my life. I knew Gary when we lived in Sudal Avenue, Huncoat. My mum and dad knew his mum and dad, well. I stumbled across this site and the memories came flooding back, or at least the bit i can remember. I know i was outside at the time, because i saw the lightning bolts that hit the tennis courts, but i just can't remember much after that, apart from being in the Queen's Building hall. Everything in between is a blur, which poses many questions that i still haven't been able to answer. I would love to know what others were doing at the time, and why they were outside in the first place. If anyone would like to share their memories, please PM me on here or of course just reply to this post.

Last edited by mageorge; 25-08-2013 at 17:43.
mageorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 18:48   #479
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
i was at moorhead on that very sad day when the lightning struck it was frightening and i remeber it like it was yesterday
In can recall seeing it to this day. We were in the art room at St Christopher's. The first floor room on the corner with a view of Moorhead. We were looking at the intense weather. Hard rain and lightning. About 3 kids were running as fast as they could along the side of Moorhead to avoid the rain. The lightning struck the conductor and they all collapsed to the floor. We were all at the window watching in shock and the art teacher demanded we all sit back down.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:57   #480

Please
can someone remind me what date gary robinson was struck by lightning.
ever since that day ive been petrified of lightning.
me and my friend mark ingham was stood in the doorway of the shop on meadoway sheltering from the massive hail stones pelting down when the lightning flew over our heads it was only about 50ft above us we saw the shape of it and everything it was awful.we said bloody hell thats hit something it was only when i got home my sister who went to moorhead at the time told me what happened.the poor lad his name has stook in my head ever since

Last edited by Mick; 09-06-2014 at 13:48. Reason: Text speak
mikey110111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..