Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 12:48   #331
Junior Member+

Re: Moorhead High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Didn't Jim Bowen teach when it was an all girls school Willow??
i think it was hyndburn park that he teached at
Old 01-12-2007, 16:45   #332
Junior Member+

jim bowan used to teach at peel park dont know for how long but thats were he was///
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 17:21   #333
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman3000 View Post
i think it was hyndburn park that he teached at

i heard it was Hyndburn Park too
Old 01-12-2007, 17:33   #334
God Member

Jim Bowen, a former headmaster, was born in 1939 in Accrington, Lancashire and is best remembered as a northern comedian and compere of the ITV television game show, 'Bullseye'. He attended Accrington Grammar School and was a teacher at Hyndburn Park School in Accrington for 10 years.
Old 15-12-2007, 19:02   #335
Junior Member+

my youngest son philip burton went to moorhead in 78 left in 82 we moved out of accrington he is married now with a son and daughter and he as just become a grandad his brother steven went to st christophers in 74 till 79.we lived up huncoat then on townley ave he was friendly with a lad called christopher i must be getting old cant remember his second name they had a brown spaniel if you remember him send me a e-mail thanks burt ///
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 16:21   #336

My memory of moorhead was Mr Bolton (Beer Belly Bolton) who taught me english & was always enthusiastic about teaching but nobody took him serious. He would send pupils off to the head but they just laughed at him. It was funny but i kinda felt sorry for him. He used to get so worked up & go bright red that i thought he was going to have a heart attack poor chap
Dave The Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 17:11   #337
Senior Member+

John Bolton was a lovely bloke, a great teacher and an inspiration to me.
He was my favourite teacher at Moorhead, he really enjoyed his subject.
I was upset when he died as he had become a friend too through our meetings at Lancs League Cricket matches, RIP John.
Old 26-01-2008, 17:34   #338

Yes i thought he was a nice bloke too & thats the reason i felt sorry for the guy. r.i.p
P.S I used to have a bit of a crush on your sister vember. Hope she is doing well
Dave The Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 18:18   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman8 View Post
Bill Green was (still is) of short stature taught History i think and had a tash. Looked a bit like "Tosh" in the Bill on TV if you ever watched it. Him and Tony RObinson ran the football team in our year which included John Kay(goalkeeper) Andrew Bracewell, Dean Halliwell (fit as owt sister) Paul Delaney, Ingo Dewsnap, Kevin Pickering, Jeff Wolstenholme(midfield wizard) Glen Fox, Frank Walmesley, Paul Beck/Walmesley(played for Accy Stanley), to name but a few. OH sorry and little ole me on the wing Pete Johnson (Johnny as it was then).
Now that was a footy team! Not sure about your observation of Leigh Halliwell though!
Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 19:33   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Now that was a footy team! Not sure about your observation of Leigh Halliwell though!
Hey that's my sister you're talking about !!! lol
Leigh went onto marry Paul Beck but they split up some time later after having two children together, I'm pleased to say they are now grand-parents, only say that because I'm not, lol.

Can't believe you missed out one of the best players from our fantastic team Mr Steven Cosby aka Spoon, great player and very funny man.

I'm sure there were more players that we've forgotten about but I'm impressed with your memory Johny.
deanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 19:36   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanh View Post
Hey that's my sister you're talking about !!! lol
Leigh went onto marry Paul Beck but they split up some time later after having two children together, I'm pleased to say they are now grand-parents, only say that because I'm not, lol.

Can't believe you missed out one of the best players from our fantastic team Mr Steven Cosby aka Spoon, great player and very funny man.

I'm sure there were more players that we've forgotten about but I'm impressed with your memory Johny.
Just remembered Pete Howard also played, no wonder we were good we played with 13 players, how did the ref miss that ?
Old 30-04-2008, 19:45   #342

wasn't the chemistry teacher (Charley) Cartlidge, he didn't teach me but sent me off during an "house" basket ball match one lunch time then the morning after asked me to his classroom whilst assembly was on and asked me if I wanted to go down to the gym for a fight ! I'm pretty glad he didn't teach me !
Old 01-05-2008, 17:08   #343
Senior Member+

Charlie Cartlidge taught me for my first couple of years & you knew straight away he was'nt a bloke to mess about with.My first time he took us for rugby i committed the cardinal sin of trying to trip the opposition & had my face forcefully rubbed in the churned up playing field for my trouble.Another time the pitch was an absolute quagmire & no-one was too keen on getting dirty,so Charlie found us all a small pond of mud & demanded that we lie face down in it & then roll over a couple of times(no thought about my mum & her laundry!!).....What a guy.You never forgot your chemistry homework if Charlie took your class.
Old 14-05-2008, 10:24   #344

You may be aware of my other posts, I am making a video slide show made up of old photos of Moorhead, if you have any and if you are happy with me using them please send them to

[email protected]

Also we are doing a radio show with ROCK FM in July, we need clean funny stories and memories of your time at Moorhead, we may ask some of you in for an interview in the studio if you are willing.

If your photos are not on the PC, maybe we can borrow them to scan in. Just call up with them for me Mark Duxbury.
Thanks
radiostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 18:36   #345
Full Member+

Memories
Ralph Bailey headmaster
Pinky White - Deputy head (You out!!)
Jock Bentley - Maths - Used to throw the board rubber or your homework book back at you with remarkable accuracy and thought that hitting you on the head with his glasses case would help you learn.
Ken Scott - best teacher ever.
Mr Towey - maths teacher for 3 years would have got my O level had he stayed.
Mr Teale - A bit handy with a cricket bat
Mr Simms - chemistry - made us all laugh when he said effervessing

School went comprehensive in my second O level year and the place went downhill from there. Our exams were chaotic and asked questions about stuff we hadn't learnt.
In a practical biology exam, we had to mix some chemicals together and record the final colour, everybody (including the swots) got it wrong.
I am not bitter about that but I am still not happy about not being able to do woodwork. At options time most people opted for woodwork so an unfair selection process was used. Those whose surnames were at the beginning of the alphabet did woodwork and those at the end did metalwork. My name being at the end decided it. I did as little as possible for 2 years and the teacher was more than shocked when I passed.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..