Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2007, 15:47   #271
God Member

Re: Moorhead High School

ah kathleen jones, how we all hated her
Old 27-03-2007, 21:17   #272
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jim Bowen taught at Hyndburn Park and was a 'harsh taskmaster' (from one who was taught by him)
Only 'Willow' has mentioned a few teachers names I recognise.
I was at Moorhead from 1953 to 1958 in the same forms as Kathleen Jones. Her role model was history teacher Miss Scotney.

Some interesting facts about that time :-
There was just the Cromwell building
All girls and NO MALE TEACHERS ALLOWED!
The head was MISS Mabel Horne (a 6' tall streak of misery who had a degree in French.)
The only man allowed on the premises was the elderly janitor.
If workmen were needed for property repairs on site -a large portion of the school was cordoned of and declared out of bounds. Fear of contact with the male gender pervaded all school life.
An interesting anecdote about Mrs Jones - did you know that she was excused PE and Games because she had had her little toes surgically removed. I always envied that because I hated Hockey - on that field wearing just a blouse and navy blue knickers in all weathers wasnt fun.I used to wangle it so that I was goalie for the best side so I spent most of the time hiding behind the goalpost out of the wind.
The naming of forms was like something from the novel 'What Katy Did'
eg 1st year =III (third)
2nd year= lower IV
3rd year= IV (fourth)
4th year- lower V -etc
suffixed by the surname initial of the form teacher I started there in IIIP (Mrs Pape)
I cant say I enjoyed the strict regime that ruled - always walk (never run),and always keep to the left, in corridors. Always wear your navy beret with badge when journeying to and from school (despite heatwaves) - to name but a couple of the instances of how we were strictly controlled and regimented. Hated it- I left as soon as I could- missed out on higher education as a result.
i think that you may have been in the same year as my aunt, norma butterworth,does the name ring a bell?
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 08:58   #273
God Member

*i think that you may have been in the same year as my aunt, norma butterworth,does the name ring a bell?*

Sorry - no - there were 3 forms of about 35 pupils for each year's intake. I did get to know some in the other 2 forms but I dont remember her. We have been having reuinions every 5 years during the past 15 yrs but numbers attending have been dwindling due to deaths and ill health. One is due this year but might not happen. I dont keep in contact with any of them in between times.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 19:42   #274

I was at Moorhead from 84 to 89- Susan Gordon (Flash) at the time now Susan Jones.
Anyone there from the same time? Remember me?
TTFN
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 00:07   #275

Donna Grant- Huncoat

Trying to contact Donna Grant who lived in Huncoat during '80s. Any help would be appreciated. I think her Dad was called David and had a carpet machinery business in GH.
[email protected]
Thanks
Dale, Brisbane,QLD
dale67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49   #276
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman8 View Post
I was there when Ralph Bailey was head(r.i.p.) and Bill Green and Tony Robinson ran our footy team which achieved great things. Who remembers Mr Teale who took rugby amongst one of his subjects (proper hard nut he was). French teacher Mrs Shaw who when pronouncing most words in French would drown anyone within 6 feet. Ma Rushton(biology), Mr Walmesley (eng lit) Mr Dennison (music) and there was an old guy who took maths with the biggest slide rule in the world which he wasn't too shy about giving anyone a whack with now and again, Jock something or other springs to mind. Happy Days......the summer of '76, what a year that was.
You must have been in the same year as myself or the one below,the only one i don't remember is Bill Green.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:47   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Well i checked out their website....Moorheads that is!! LOL well poor Mr McHale he look old now n chuckle is wearing well...oh i had to laugh tis so funny ive worked out that at least 5 of the teachers are still there from when i left n 92.
Are there photos on their website . Did not see those.I would to see what the teachers look like now i left in 1989.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:56   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
She was a bloody good teacher ...... strict but fair and genuinely cared about her students welfare.
I agree. She offered to take me in whilst i was doing my GCSE's. I had left accy just before my exams had started for personal reasons and she said i could live with her for a while. Lovely lovely lady.
Old 09-04-2007, 14:43   #279

If anyone has any contact details for Kathleen Jones or ideas about how I might get in touch please let me know I would love to drop her a line and let her know how I am doing.
Thanks in anticipation
Old 09-04-2007, 15:16   #280
God Member

When I last saw Kathleen at the reuinion 5 years ago I remember she was 'something big' in the Soroptomists Society locally. -Other than that -sorry can't be of help

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 14:38   #281

thanks for that i have actually managed to find an address from that much appreciated
Old 09-05-2007, 20:41   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
My days at Moorhead are so long ago that it wasn't even called Moorhead then and the teachers I had would have been long gone by the time you got there. It was all girls in those days and the male teachers always seemed to be cringeing with embarrassment over something or other. Mr. Mortimer (science - mainly chemistry) used to blush right round the back of his neck and ears.

I can still hear Mr. Duckworth (science again) saying those infamous words "Don't forget to put a rubber bung in it."
I remember Mr Duckworth and Mr Reeves (wasn't he Rev Duckworth) -still have all the old magazines 1961 to 1968!!!
lizziewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 06:26   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
You must have been in the same year as myself or the one below,the only one i don't remember is Bill Green.
Bill Green was (still is) of short stature taught History i think and had a tash. Looked a bit like "Tosh" in the Bill on TV if you ever watched it. Him and Tony RObinson ran the football team in our year which included John Kay(goalkeeper) Andrew Bracewell, Dean Halliwell (fit as owt sister) Paul Delaney, Ingo Dewsnap, Kevin Pickering, Jeff Wolstenholme(midfield wizard) Glen Fox, Frank Walmesley, Paul Beck/Walmesley(played for Accy Stanley), to name but a few. OH sorry and little ole me on the wing Pete Johnson (Johnny as it was then).
greenman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 19:19   #284
Senior Member+

greenman you were the year below me.I remember some of the lads you mentioned including yourself.
Old 15-05-2007, 20:22   #285

[ OH sorry and little ole me on the wing Pete Johnson (Johnny as it was then).[/quote]
Good lord Mr Johnson, I remember you and your mucker Pete Stephens from St Nicholas (and St Andrews?). You were something of an accomplished warbler too as I recall
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..