Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2009, 21:31   #376
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Do you really believe that the many MP's who are in parliament are there on merit or are there for self gain, on top of the money they already have to enhance thier career prospects at the taxpayers expence?
Does it matter why someone does a job as long as they do it well?
Old 23-08-2009, 21:45   #377
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Does it matter why someone does a job as long as they do it well?
You and I have been subject to job evaluation and checks to see if we are up to the job.
It takes five years to find out if an MP is up to the job.
If I was in a job and didnt do the business for my boss, I would be out on my ear within a week.
A five year contract for posing at £63,000 a year is very nice thank you.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 22:24   #378
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
A five year contract for posing at £63,000 a year is very nice thank you.
But I don't think £63k for running the Country and making the important decisions they have to make is enough. It is not in line with the private sector.
Old 24-08-2009, 00:16   #379
God Member

think one criteria of judging a local MP is to see how much money/jobs he/she has been able to bring into his area . Seems Blackburn is allways a the front of the queue when Govt. money is being passed out , wether this is because the local MP Jack Straw has more political clout than a regular back bencher is anyones guess , but its a sure vote getter
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:16   #380
God Member

I do think there is something wrong with the country when the people who are charged with looking after our welfare and running the country are paid £63k, but the man who runs Tesco gets £1.5m plus £4m bonus.

I'm sure Sir Terry works very hard and I'm sure he'll justify his salary but let's face it, the person who decides whether he presses the little red button has a bit more responsibility when it all boils down to it.

I suppose the difference, and the argument, is that our MPs are paid out of the public purse, i.e. our hard earned money. But, if I'm honest, I'd prefer to have Sir Terry running the country than the current administration and if he was worth £1.5m then I'd be prepared to pay it. It's the old adage, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Whilst I realise that £63k is not peanuts to the majority of us, we have to pay people what they're worth in the long run.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:52   #381
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I do think there is something wrong with the country when the people who are charged with looking after our welfare and running the country are paid £63k, but the man who runs Tesco gets £1.5m plus £4m bonus.

I'm sure Sir Terry works very hard and I'm sure he'll justify his salary but let's face it, the person who decides whether he presses the little red button has a bit more responsibility when it all boils down to it.

I suppose the difference, and the argument, is that our MPs are paid out of the public purse, i.e. our hard earned money. But, if I'm honest, I'd prefer to have Sir Terry running the country than the current administration and if he was worth £1.5m then I'd be prepared to pay it. It's the old adage, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Whilst I realise that £63k is not peanuts to the majority of us, we have to pay people what they're worth in the long run.
I kind of agree in a way Gayle, the thing that always amuses me is when the quote the average wage in the country and I aways seem to say not in bloody Lancashire it isn't
Old 24-08-2009, 09:16   #382
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

by the same principal top footballers are paid 100k plus a week, sorry that don't sit too well with me.
Old 08-01-2010, 13:15   #383
Super Moderator

Let's face it, we all knew they wouldn't be able to take their snouts out of the trough.

The TaxPayers' Alliance - Media Coverage: Daily Express: MPS CAN CARRY ON FIDDLING EXPENSES

No wonder politicians of all stripes are regarded with so much contempt these days.
Old 08-01-2010, 13:42   #384
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Let's face it, we all knew they wouldn't be able to take their snouts out of the trough.

The TaxPayers' Alliance - Media Coverage: Daily Express: MPS CAN CARRY ON FIDDLING EXPENSES

No wonder politicians of all stripes are regarded with so much contempt these days.
anyone suprised at this news is even dafter n i thought.
Old 14-06-2010, 00:09   #385
Give, give, give member

'For 13 years all five ministers at the Department of Health were given £8 of fruit a day.'

'They filled up their office fruit bowls at a cost to the taxpayer of more than £100,000.'

Labour’s fruit freebies cost taxpayer £100,000 - Times Online

No wonder they regularly produced so much....

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 08:26   #386
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'For 13 years all five ministers at the Department of Health were given £8 of fruit a day.'

'They filled up their office fruit bowls at a cost to the taxpayer of more than £100,000.'

Labour’s fruit freebies cost taxpayer £100,000 - Times Online

No wonder they regularly produced so much....
I would like to think that there really is going to be a new broom sweeping away needless excesses like this but I know from experience that many 'cuts' and 'savings' are actually just fiddling the figures.

Prove me wrong, Cameron, please please prove me wrong.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 09:08   #387
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I would like to think that there really is going to be a new broom sweeping away needless excesses like this but I know from experience that many 'cuts' and 'savings' are actually just fiddling the figures.

Prove me wrong, Cameron, please please prove me wrong.
Come come Ken as a Labour flag waver surely that should be prove me right
Old 14-06-2010, 09:12   #388
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sod it, if it's for the good of the country you can prove me wrong on this one.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 09:31   #389
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Mind, London is expensive.

As your chum, Peter Britcliffe pointed out, when he said that he couldn't eat in London for a tenner, and used that as an excuse to ignore the recommendations of an independent panel, and the Conservatives voted to increase subsistance expenses by a massive percentage increase.

Just as I helpfully gave Cllr. Britcliffe directions to the Stockpot restaurants in London, perhaps I should have wrote to the various Health Ministers, with directions to Berwick Street market, just a short walk from Whitehall, were they could have bought their five a day for about a quid.

Council makes a meal of rises - Accrington Observer

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...and-45105.html

'Labour Councillors Bernard Dawson, Clare Pritchard, Malcolm Pritchard, Munsif Dad, and Colette McCormack, were so incensed by the decision to vote through the allowances they asked for their no vote to be recorded.'
Expenses rise sparks fury in council chamber - Accrington Observer

My, how things change, in just a few short years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..