Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2009, 16:03   #361
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think it will be a fairly interesting election though, as a lot of 'sitting' MPs are standing down. So in many areas it will be new candidates for both party regardless of which party currently has the seat.

I think it will create a more level playing field.
Its always a level playing field until some one throws a hand grenade in the middle
Old 21-08-2009, 16:13   #362
God Member

Quote:
I think it will be a fairly interesting election though, as a lot of 'sitting' MPs are standing down. So in many areas it will be new candidates for both party regardless of which party currently has the seat.

I know this probably belongs in "Words and Phrases I Hate", but "level playing field" ... I hate it .... along with all other trite sports "metaphors" that creep in to political debate.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 17:17   #363
God Member

Quote:

It all depends on what motivates people to vote a certain way ... if folks are just geneally p'od at the govt. in Westminster, people will vote tory, even if they run a goldfish as a candidate. If people actually do vote for the best candidate, it might make a difference, but I don't think this will happen ....
Old 21-08-2009, 19:14   #364
God Member

I don't think they will Eric. I think a new person, from either party, would stand a good chance. For example, this area is mostly a Labour voting area. Greg has held his seat for 19 years. People may be a bit dissolusioned with the the Labour party and even with Greg so might not have voted for him if he'd have stood BUT a new Labour candidate can wipe the slate clean to some degree.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 21:31   #365
God Member

Quote:
I don't think they will Eric. I think a new person, from either party, would stand a good chance. For example, this area is mostly a Labour voting area. Greg has held his seat for 19 years. People may be a bit dissolusioned with the the Labour party and even with Greg so might not have voted for him if he'd have stood BUT a new Labour candidate can wipe the slate clean to some degree.
Sorry Gayle, but a new Labour candidate, in any way shape or form, is going to have a hell of a struggle to overcome the national situation.
New Labour went when Tony Blair went off the scene, the dregs that are left in charge have some grovelling to do before the electorate are convinced that they will tell the truth in the future.
How the hell can you wipe the slate clean when our lads are dying in Afghanistan
How the hell can you wipe the slate clean when pensioners have lost thousands of pounds on private pensions
How the hell do you explain to people who have lost thousands with the Bank collapse through mismanagement
How the hell do you explain why so many people have lost their jobs because THE ECONOMYS ON ITS ARSE
You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not people all of the time.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 22:47   #366
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Sorry Gayle, but a new Labour candidate, in any way shape or form, is going to have a hell of a struggle to overcome the national situation.
New Labour went when Tony Blair went off the scene, the dregs that are left in charge have some grovelling to do before the electorate are convinced that they will tell the truth in the future.
How the hell can you wipe the slate clean when our lads are dying in Afghanistan
How the hell can you wipe the slate clean when pensioners have lost thousands of pounds on private pensions
How the hell do you explain to people who have lost thousands with the Bank collapse through mismanagement
How the hell do you explain why so many people have lost their jobs because THE ECONOMYS ON ITS ARSE
You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not people all of the time.
The Tories got away with fooling most of the people for 18 years... anyone on a state pension is far better off now than they were 10 years ago... bank collapse?.. havent noticed many banks closing down and if there is a collapse that's down to international bankers...the war in Aftganistan was, and still is supported by the Tories.
Unemployment is the biggest concern, recent figures are bad and I would always blame the Government for mass unemployment.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 08:59   #367
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The Tories got away with fooling most of the people for 18 years... anyone on a state pension is far better off now than they were 10 years ago... bank collapse?.. havent noticed many banks closing down and if there is a collapse that's down to international bankers...the war in Aftganistan was, and still is supported by the Tories.
Unemployment is the biggest concern, recent figures are bad and I would always blame the Government for mass unemployment.
My biggest concern is that Darling is borrowing £260 million every day, if you borrow you have to pay back, something Labour have never been good at
Old 22-08-2009, 17:41   #368
God Member

Quote:
Think I agree with Roy on this one. If JC came back to lead the Labour Party they will still lose .... if you have time, check out the '93 general election in Canada, in which Brian Mulroney's tories, who were about as popular with the voters as Browns Labour Party, lost 149 seats, and were left with only two MPs. I sure hope this doesn't happen in England. I think, and I always will, that in democracies such as ours .... and you might be surprised how similar our system is to yours at the federal level ... we need a left of centre party. If they don't form the govt., at least they can act as a brake on the right wing policies of tories.
Old 23-08-2009, 19:39   #369
Super Moderator

...and here's another politician talking about all the "sacrifices" that our poor, put-upon MPs have to make.

BBC NEWS | UK | MPs face 'extra costs' - Beckett

However, this time it's a Labour one, so a lot of the politicos on this forum will go very quiet about it.
Old 23-08-2009, 19:55   #370
Resting in Peace

Amazed no one has meantioned the headline story in the Observer yet ...

Grand gesture by 'value for money' councillor - News - Accrington Observer

You can expect maybe a couple to be missed due to unavoidable other commitments, but holidays ... no excuse ... at this rate of pay you work your holidays around them !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:59   #371
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...and here's another politician talking about all the "sacrifices" that our poor, put-upon MPs have to make.

BBC NEWS | UK | MPs face 'extra costs' - Beckett

However, this time it's a Labour one, so a lot of the politicos on this forum will go very quiet about it.
Her self pitying bleating is as out of order as the rest of them whinging about expenses.

Beckett, Baroness Uddin, Lord Taylor et al, and that devious littlle Squirrel it away Blears, should all be fired.

(Please note, all those mentioned are Labour politicans, the next time I'm accused of political bias.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:36   #372
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
the latest one ....

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Senior Tory wants MP pay doubled

Get rid of expenses .. and double their pay ...
Increase their pay and make the expenses system fair and sensible.
Old 23-08-2009, 20:38   #373
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Increase their pay and make the expenses system fair and sensible.
I would agree with that.....subject to a means test.

Old 23-08-2009, 21:13   #374
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I would agree with that.....subject to a means test.
Why a means test?

Are people who have money not worth the same rate of pay as those who have less money?
Old 23-08-2009, 21:26   #375
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why a means test?

Are people who have money not worth the same rate of pay as those who have less money?
Put that question to the many pensioners who have lost savings and pensions to this lot of loosers.
I think that a test before election should include motive. as well as means test.
Do you really believe that the many MP's who are in parliament are there on merit or are there for self gain, on top of the money they already have to enhance thier career prospects at the taxpayers expence?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..