Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2009, 11:45   #1

bernard perkin's

anyone remember bernard? ossy comic who could have made the big time but for his big fault he did lke a pint or two.
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2009, 12:22   #2
Senior Member+

Re: bernard perkin's

I dont recall him, but my Dad knew him and confirmed his Drinking reputation!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 15:59   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: bernard Perkin's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortype View Post
anyone remember bernard? ossy comic who could have made the big time but for his big fault he did lke a pint or two.
A pint or two nortype, that's an understatement, was a pity the beer ruined his career, he went for an audition for TV and turned up drunk, the guy that got the job was Roy Castle, the tale goes that Roy was at his funeral. I Was a good friend of his brother Jim and met his other Brother Steve whilst I was working at a WMC in Coventry for Lances Barfitters in the Seventies, Steve worked in the car industry
Old 23-03-2009, 16:30   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A pint or two nortype, that's an understatement, was a pity the beer ruined his career, he went for an audition for TV and turned up drunk, the guy that got the job was Roy Castle, the tale goes that Roy was at his funeral. I Was a good friend of his brother Jim and met his other Brother Steve whilst I was working at a WMC in Coventry for Lances Barfitters in the Seventies, Steve worked in the car industry
Was that East Lancs Shopfitters John or was that a different company? I knew a couple of blokes who worked at Shopfitters, Frank Heywood and Dennis Flanagan, dont know if you knew them or not?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 24-03-2009, 09:56   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was that East Lancs Shopfitters John or was that a different company? I knew a couple of blokes who worked at Shopfitters, Frank Heywood and Dennis Flanagan, don't know if you knew them or not?

Best Regards - Taggy
No Taggy it was Lancashire Shopfitters Rhyddings Street Ossy, Barfitters was a part on the Shopfitters group of companies. I knew both Frank and Dennis, in fact I used to drink with Dennis in Ossy Con for many years, sadly he's no longer with us. I think East Lancashire Shopfitters may have been a company set up by ex-shopfitters personnel
Old 24-03-2009, 10:03   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No Taggy it was Lancashire Shopfitters Rhyddings Street Ossy, Barfitters was a part on the Shopfitters group of companies. I knew both Frank and Dennis, in fact I used to drink with Dennis in Ossy Con for many years, sadly he's no longer with us. I think East Lancashire Shopfitters may have been a company set up by ex-shopfitters personnel
Did you manage to get a word in edgeways with Dennis? Ha Ha! I recall reading that he'd passed away, he used to drink in the Boars Head when it was my local in the 70's. I knew Frank well too, i was his Son Graham's Best Man when he got wed. INfact had my first Holiday abroad with them in Mallorca. A nice chap, unfortunately he's no longer with us either.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 24-03-2009, 16:26   #7
Resting in Peace

Did seem him a couple of times on the clubs ... yes, was talented, unfortunately, as above posts, conversation about him was always linked with his alcohol problem .. that's what I remember the most, although didn't know personally or anything.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 22:15   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

Did he really have an apostrophe in his name?
Old 24-03-2009, 22:31   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
No he did not...it was Bernard Perkins and he was a hell of a comic, a good friend of Alf Young from Blackburn who was also in the same class.
When I think of these lads I think they should be in the hall of fame as artists and not defamed for their love of a pint from people who go by heresay.....I met both of these guys in the flesh and enjoyed what I saw.
I only wish that many people had the same sense of humour these days.
Both of them couln't give a toss for the PC Brigade....both are now sadly gone from this earth to the detriment of their peers.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 23:22   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
No he did not...it was Bernard Perkins and he was a hell of a comic, a good friend of Alf Young from Blackburn who was also in the same class.
When I think of these lads I think they should be in the hall of fame as artists and not defamed for their love of a pint from people who go by heresay.....I met both of these guys in the flesh and enjoyed what I saw.
Both of them couln't give a toss for the PC Brigade....both are now sadly gone from this earth to the detriment of their peers.
Don't feel to good myself Roy.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 08:42   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Perhaps when asked his name he had a Hiccup at that point!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 25-03-2009, 08:54   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Being from St. Marys Ossy like Bernard I too knew him Roy, can always remember the first time I saw him perform, one gag stuck in my mind. Two mates die, one goes to heaven the other to hell, after a few months they meet at the fence, the bloke in hell say "what's it like", "Its hard graft we work 7 days a week 12 hours a day", whats it like down yon, "easy, we work 1 day a week 1 hour a day", "how come" say the first bloke, "there's more of us down here"
Old 25-03-2009, 20:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was that East Lancs Shopfitters John or was that a different company? I knew a couple of blokes who worked at Shopfitters, Frank Heywood and Dennis Flanagan, dont know if you knew them or not?

Best Regards - Taggy
Did you know Eddie keats who worked there,he died young about 30 years ago
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 20:27   #14

royboy39 the question was anyone knew bernard. this is not heresay enjoyed many a pint with him in his local rhoden inn ossy and far from defaming him my thought's of bernard are good one's i was a little taken aback by your reply to say the least.
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 20:33   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortype View Post
royboy39 the question was anyone knew bernard. this is not heresay enjoyed many a pint with him in his local rhoden inn ossy and far from defaming him my thought's of bernard are good one's i was a little taken aback by your reply to say the least.
Read the post as it was intended......I said defamed for the love of a pint.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..