Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Town Centre Planters (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/town-centre-planters-31408.html)

Uncle Mick 15-06-2007 12:26

Town Centre Planters

It seems like a good idea, brighten Broadway up and all that but they do look a little unfinished.

panther 15-06-2007 12:33

Re: Town Centre Planters

seen them going to town today, theres some at the bottom of rhydding street in ossy, and co-op, then in town, to me they look like they have just plonked em there!:(
they would look better if they arranged them better, but i cant help wondering how long it will be before they are destroyed!:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 15-06-2007 12:45

There are some on Barnes Sq. in Clayton...they are black plastic, but full of very pretty begonias.....in a variety of shades.
Recently someone dug up plants from mercer park and stole them......so i wonder how long these will last. It is really sad to be so cynical.

Ianto.W. 15-06-2007 12:46

Yes they are unfinished, I thought of e mailing PB about getting some would be 'graffiti' artist to practice on these black containers, the idea is good but the containers could do with brightening up. Surely it would be a good exercise for schools to have a competition for the best decorated container.

Gayle 15-06-2007 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 435375)
seen them going to town today, theres some at the bottom of rhydding street in ossy, and co-op, then in town, to me they look like they have just plonked em there!:(

I thought exactly the same. Perhaps the delivery van has just brought them and someone's going to come along later and position them. :D

PS. I'm not being negative about the idea of putting planters there - I think it's a good one, I like the idea of brightening up the area with more flowers and as planters go they look quite nice.

WillowTheWhisp 15-06-2007 13:34

10 Attachment(s)
They do seem to be just plonked haphazardly all over the place don't they? I love the idea of flora in the town but these just seem to be big and ugly and there is no relationship between them and their location.

In fact my first thought as I kept seeing them everywhere I turned was that it seemed like a scene from a surreal episode of Dr. Who 'The Invasion of the Black Plastic Planters!'

The three round the cog wheel look particularly incongruous.

The different ones in Church Street remind me of some we had donkeys years ago - they couldn't have dug them out again and painted them black could they?

Just took these quick snaps with a rather manky camera phone.

panther 15-06-2007 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 435399)

In fact my first thought as I kept seeing them everywhere I turned was that it seemed like a scene from a surreal episode of Dr. Who 'The Invasion of the Black Plastic Planters!'

LOL.....i said the same thing willow!!:D
invasion in accy!! expecting to see something climb out in a bit!! like war of the worlds!

Gayle 15-06-2007 16:17

Don't blink! What ever you do, don't blink!

***Mr D*** 15-06-2007 16:28

The have also put 3 in the little seating place at the top of blackburn road.

Must of ran out of other spaces.:D

magpie 15-06-2007 16:49

be nice if they did not get damaged, but I fear they will:

katex 15-06-2007 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 435440)
be nice if they did not get damaged, but I fear they will:

Well, as discussed previously, will just have to keep putting them back again 'til vandals get tired of doing it !!! If I see anyone touching them in Clayton, will get the benefit of my anger I can tell ya'.

A little warning somewhere on the planters, that abusers will be fined £50 (or whatever) on the spot, as litter droppers, with no exceptions. Every little helps.

garinda 15-06-2007 18:41

I've seen the ones in Ossy, and they look great.

Well done HBC!:D

panther 15-06-2007 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 435427)
Don't blink! What ever you do, don't blink!

was wondering what on earth you was on about, then it clicked!!.........LOL:p

mallard 15-06-2007 19:20

I must a gree with with you in what you say it dose look nice but how long for before it get,s damage or broken with the yob,s .

lindsay ormerod 15-06-2007 21:29

I think they look great and add a much needed splash of colour ! they are too big to be nicked as well ! At last the council gets something right ,let's see if they remember to water them !:banjump: