Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The World will end - ITS SNOWING ?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-world-will-end-its-snowing-44250.html)

***Mr D*** 02-12-2008 15:41

The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

Cant believe the amount of Schools and works I have heard that have closed today because its snowing.

Whats wrong it was only a tiny amount, I can remember many years ago when it was a foot + deep.

Are we going soft?

On a down side - No my works didnt close, on the upsaide I didnt have to finish work as my kids school didnt close.

So did you have a day off.

emamum 02-12-2008 15:44

Re: The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

nope, ty was still at school today

aparently its raining all the snow away in colne, hopefully it will come and do ours next :)

Kitkat 02-12-2008 15:53

Just to make you feel better - I had to work all day too - seems lots of schools closed - question WHY ???????????? a little snow brings all of England to a stand still

MargaretR 02-12-2008 16:01

Fifty years ago we were able to cope because most people worked and went to school within walking distance from home or only a short bus ride away

emzy 02-12-2008 16:03

The school near me closed today, not too sure why, i made it out once or twice and the local bus was making its usual journeys (nearly ran me off the road driving like a ......erm...... wont say it but you know what i mean) My world didnt end, just carried on as normal

lancsdave 02-12-2008 16:15

Many schools close because the teachers don't live on the doorstep.While it may have seemed not too bad down in the town centre, further out and higher up it has been quite bad to drive. I didn't risk taking my car off the street because there's a downhill bit that I didn't fancy trying to stop on if I had to, and end up going straight out in to Willows Lane in front of somebody else.

The problem is a lot of people have to try and get around at the same time and a couple of bumps create havoc. I know somebody on the X43 bus this morning took 2.5 hours to get to Manchester.

If you don't need to go out there's no point doing so, makes it easier for those who have to :)

panther 02-12-2008 16:52

Rhyddings got sent home today cuz of the snow!!, i wouldnt mind but it started to melt a bit then:confused:

churchman phil 02-12-2008 16:54

Accrington Academy closed at lunchtime due to the boiler overheating apparently.

***Mr D*** 02-12-2008 17:04

Im just glad my daughters school didnt close. It would of been a hassle sorting someone to pick her up and watch her.

Glad to read a letter from her school "However bad the weather, school will never close during the course of a working day".

And cant see why they had to close a secondary school with a few hours left to go because the boiler packed in. :confused:

MCR ADIM 02-12-2008 17:58

the school would of had to close because all school rooms have to be above a certain temperture and if they are not than health and safety say your not allowed to work in the class room etc

Sara 02-12-2008 18:15

Got sent home at around 1.30pm, normally finish at 4pm. So not complaining about myself. But will be glad when my husband and son gets in from work.

entwisi 02-12-2008 18:36

worked from home so nope, no day off even though I couldn't get to work.

VPN, its teh Future! :D

West Ender 02-12-2008 18:55

Here in Lymm we have had several heavy falls of hail and rain but no snow. It is now very wet and very cold.

Eric 02-12-2008 19:45

This is funny:D

BERNADETTE 02-12-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 656792)
This is funny:D

No it isn't it is horrible:p