Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   things that make me feel old (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/things-that-make-me-feel-old-46550.html)

planetsusie 30-03-2009 08:04

things that make me feel old

Them 'drop down' boxes you get on internet forms...and I just keep on scrolling now

Them age catagory things
18-25
25-32
32-42
42-50
50-65
65+
Hell Im only 2 off the death catagory!

and this
'All over-40s will be invited to go for a "health MoT" from this week'

emzy 30-03-2009 09:19

Re: things that make me feel old

I find that im feeling older when I have to scroll down further to find my year of birth lol

I dont think that an "over 40's MOT" is a bad thing really. Although I do not fall into that age group yet simple check ups like this can often pick up on issues that could be far worse if left any length of time. for example: If you had high cholesterol would you not want to know about it early on to reduce the risk of any major heart problems in a few years to come?

Its like they say, prevention is better than any cure

Articles | All over-40s to get health checks - ITV News

planetsusie 30-03-2009 09:20

No I dont think its a 'bad thing'
Just made me realise I fall into a recall 'at risk' catagory

planetsusie 30-03-2009 09:21

and thing is..
Ill be doing a lot of them too

emzy 30-03-2009 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 698245)
and thing is..
Ill be doing a lot of them too

It'll keep you busy then :D I have regular blood pressure checks anyway (every 6 months) as I have had high blood pressure from time to time, and im only 27.

katex 30-03-2009 09:30

I feel old when in the programme '10 Years Younger' (which I love), is when they show different outfits for varying decade age groups.

They do the 30's, 40's, 50's .. I await in anticipation of one for my age group ... humph ... nowt !! Off the scale then ... :(

planetsusie 30-03-2009 09:35

and this is moved too?
Gosh

planetsusie 30-03-2009 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 698249)
It'll keep you busy then :D I have regular blood pressure checks anyway (every 6 months) as I have had high blood pressure from time to time, and im only 27.

Oh I already understand busy

jaysay 30-03-2009 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 698217)
Them 'drop down' boxes you get on internet forms...and I just keep on scrolling now

Them age catagory things
18-25
25-32
32-42
42-50
50-65
65+
Hell Im only 2 off the death catagory!

and this
'All over-40s will be invited to go for a "health MoT" from this week'

Its no use me going Susie, I'd be condemned to the knackers yard:D

emamum 30-03-2009 12:21

being served alcohol by a lad that said "are you emma? you used to be my babysitter " :eek::eek:

going to my little brothers 18th birthday party last week made me feel old as well...

on the other hand tho, i was asked if Grace was my first child the other day and the woman seemed surprised when i told her i had a 7 year old as well :D

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2009 13:13

It makes me feel old to find that we have one shelf of a kitchen cupboard that is dedicated to medications...though I have to say that there isn't much on that shelf that belongs to me.

As for the MOT's for the over 40's.........it will be no surprise to you that I won't be attending for an MOT.........well, it isn't compulsory........and personally I feel that there is a move to medicalise ageing........and this can become a worry for some folk.

I will go to the quack when my leg is falling off...or when I feel really ill.
(those of you who have read my recent blogs know that this is a fiblet)

MargaretR 30-03-2009 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 698343)
It makes me feel old to find that we have one shelf of a kitchen cupboard that is dedicated to medications...though I have to say that there isn't much on that shelf that belongs to me.

As for the MOT's for the over 40's.........it will be no surprise to you that I won't be attending for an MOT.........well, it isn't compulsory........and personally I feel that there is a move to medicalise ageing........and this can become a worry for some folk.

I will go to the quack when my leg is falling off...or when I feel really ill.
(those of you who have read my recent blogs know that this is a fiblet)

:D ..shelf.. is that all?..I have bought 2 sets of storage boxes for mine because my lounge was beginning to look like Holland & Barretts stockroom. (time is running out - stockpile grows)
It is worth noting that you as a career nurse are reluctant to use conventional medicine. I use 'alternative medicine' because I had no alternative.

planetsusie 30-03-2009 13:46

Thats a really interesting thought.
Like aging is an illness.
Im actually running through my head 'when was the last time a patient of mine died of old age?'
Brilliant. Thanks for that

churchman phil 30-03-2009 13:58

I'm 40 this year and I have an annual MOT at the doc's every April. BP, Blood Test, etc.
I don't smoke at all or drink heavily (maybe 6 units a week, tops!!), eat good wholesome food and get regular exercise.
Can't see anything wrong in getting it done as when you get told you're fit as a fiddle when the results come through that more than makes up for it.
If anything is found to be wrong (touch wood it isn't) chances are it would be in the early stages and can be more readily treated.

MargaretR 30-03-2009 14:01

I have heard of a plan to get all over 50s on statins:eek:
That will harm some people and line the coffers of the pharmacutical companies.
Cholesterol and Heart Disease--A Phony Issue, by Mary G. Enig, PhD
extract-
In his book The Cholesterol Myths, Dr. Uffe Ravnskov tells us what happens to an older woman who has normal high serum cholesterol levels. When her blood is tested in a forced cholesterol checkup, the cholesterol myth is used to justify treatment of her nonexistent disease state and she loses her vibrant state of good health.

The official advice to lower serum cholesterol levels has brought about numerous supplements with the attached claim that consuming them will lower cholesterol. This further supports the myth of cholesterol as an undesirable component of body and diet. In fact, the body uses cholesterol to repair and to protect. When improvement to the health of the body brought about by good changes in lifestyle or diet results in a lowering of serum cholesterol, it can be counted as an example of the body no longer needing the extra circulating cholesterol. The repair has been accomplished

I wont be volunteering to be poisoned, even though my cholesterol was recorded as 7 - so what:rolleyes:
I just avoid those artificial man made fats and the chemically engineered oils (trans fats) - those are what cause arterial damage.