Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/4th-veteran-s-day-saturday-27th-june-48059.html)

jambutty 25-06-2009 15:16

4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

Please spare a few seconds on Saturday to remember the men and women who answered the call to arms in the country’s hour/s of need.

There were many who paid the ultimate price or came back damaged or were virtually abandoned by the government of the day after being given a demob suit and a railway ticket home.

And then to add insult to injury the Quango set up to administer the scheme refused to allow the Veteran’s Award to be awarded posthumously. And to really rub it in, the lapel badge was made in China and it was badly made with two dents in it. The accompanying certificate was anonymous too.

My father served in WW1, was wounded and then spent the bulk of WW2 in a prisoner of war camp in Germany and died in 1948.

In spite of the government’s best efforts to insult the veterans I have amended the certificate to make it more personal and made my own tribute to my dad at http://uk.geocities.com/dqmcxh@btinternet.com/last.html You will need your speakers turned on.

The Last Post is beautifully played by Steven Fletcher (Ex Royal Artillery Band).

BERNADETTE 25-06-2009 15:28

Re: 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad

West Ender 25-06-2009 20:00

That was lovely, Jambutty, a very fitting tribute.

cherokee 25-06-2009 23:06

Sadly JB its saying service temporarily out of order .
Im sure its a very fitting tribut to your father and all the veterans of our past and I would have loved to have seen it.

Lets also not forget that veterans day is now Known as Armed forces day and this enables us not only to Salute our Veterans but also Salute and think of our boys and girls out there fighting today.

Its not a celebration but a time to step back and give thought to all conflicts Past and present.

cherokee 25-06-2009 23:07

ah just tried again and got it..:)

Eric 26-06-2009 01:11

Fantastic Jambutty .... what a debt we owe!

jaysay 26-06-2009 09:39

What a fitting tribute to your Father Jim

Gayle 26-06-2009 10:12

First of all, welcome back Jambutty, it's good to see you posting again.

Secondly, there is a big rededication of the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle tomorrow morning at 11.30am. All are welcome, please come along and either join the procession from 11am from Brookside St or meet at the memorial.

jambutty 27-06-2009 10:37

Yes! Today has been renamed Armed Forces Day and that’s a travesty.

It’s like renaming Mothers Day to Parents Day.

The veterans of past armed conflicts were also the police, fire and ambulance service, coast guard, fire watchers, plane spotters and RNLI plus the temporary conscription of the boat owners for Dunkirk and not forgetting the Home Guard, the real Dad’s Army. They were all civilians.

This government is beyond contempt.

Gayle 27-06-2009 13:05

5 Attachment(s)
A few photos from the Oswaldtwistle War Memorial Rededication procession and ceremony

jaysay 27-06-2009 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 724821)
A few photos from the Oswaldtwistle War Memorial Rededication procession and ceremony

Some great photos Gayle, thanks for letting us see them on here, looks like a great turnout from the last one.

andrewb 27-06-2009 15:50

Fitting tribute Jambutty. Unfortunately the sound doesn't appear for me though.

ozzypostie 27-06-2009 16:00

We were there, it was nice to see the good turnout aswell as the huge round of applause for the vetrans.

I dont know if its me just not liking peter britcliffe but he has to get everywhere where there is a camera, well done gail he must of missed you!

Can you explain to me why the reef had to be emblazoned with the conservative logo in the middle, i didn't I like it especially when you have peter there in all his glory! i feel there was no need.

**** my wife said he could of polished his shoes they were filthy lol

garinda 27-06-2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzypostie (Post 724842)
We were there, it was nice to see the good turnout aswell as the huge round of applause for the vetrans.

I dont know if its me just not liking peter britcliffe but he has to get everywhere where there is a camera, well done gail he must of missed you!

Can you explain to me why the reef had to be emblazoned with the conservative logo in the middle, i didn't I like it especially when you have peter there in all his glory! i feel there was no need.

Not my normal position, defending Peter Britcliffe (:eek:), but as far as I'm aware, he and other Oswaldtwistle councillors were instrumental in the refurbishing of the War Memorial, and the organisation of the rededication, and I'd have been more shocked if they weren't there. Though I agree about using a wreath to promote any political party is a bit iffy, in my opinion.

I do think it looks great, and we're lucky to have one of the most beautiful war memorials in the country.

As it is for many other people, the place is very special to my family. For my mum, growing up without a dad, who'd been killed in Normandy aged 22, just months before she was born, it is the nearest thing she had/has to a grave to visit.

My grandfather's great grandson was very proud to march with the cubs, in today's rededication procession.

Bernard Dawson 27-06-2009 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzypostie (Post 724842)

It was good turnout. And also what was pleasing to see was the respect shown when the service was being held. As someone said you could here a pin drop.