Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Election - Place yer bets. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/election-place-yer-bets-52870.html)

turkishdelight 27-04-2010 10:33

Re: Election - Place yer bets.

Just received a letter from Graham Jones, stateing, I or one of my team called on you recently and that i informed them that i hadnt decided who to vote for at the forth coming general election. No one has ever called at my home from any party.Must admit the letter is informative and i do feel Grahams a good candidate for Hyndburn. Its just a great pity he on the wrong side or i would vote for him.For me the choice is clear and Britain can never recover under a Labour Government.

shillelagh 27-04-2010 10:36

and there i was thinking you should vote for who you think will do the best job .. rather than party ...:D

turkishdelight 27-04-2010 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 810389)
and there i was thinking you should vote for who you think will do the best job .. rather than party ...:D

I have to consider the bigger picture.

andrewb 27-04-2010 10:42

Quote:

No doubt that people think Graham is a nice guy and members in his ward seem to like him. Voting for him at the general election however helps Brown stay in office for another 5 years. So yeah, he's on the wrong side, 'cause it'll help elect a Labour government who I certainly don't feel are the answer to the problems they've created.

turkishdelight 27-04-2010 10:48

Brown on the election debates is forever stateing we will do this that and the other how come in the years they have been in office none of what they say has been done already,they have had time to make Britain a great country and have FAILED, FAILED, over and over again.

Margaret Pilkington 27-04-2010 10:50

Quote:

Jen I think you are right in that assumption when you are dealing with local politics....but I think when it is a general election, then you have to go with the party who you think will do the best for the country.
That is a really hard task...because in my views none of them are fit to oversee a jumble sale.

yerself 27-04-2010 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
That is a really hard task...because in my views none of them are fit to oversee a jumble sale.

Couldn't agree more. So do you spoil your paper or make a protest by voting for the Raving Reverend or BNP perhaps? The main parties certainly need a kick up the behind one way or another.

shillelagh 27-04-2010 10:57

but who is he representing in parliament .. us .. as in our interests .. so what would you rather have .. a local person .. who knows the area, who lives in the area, knows what kind of problems there is locally .. or someone who has been parachuted in from outside the area ..

can i just say as well .. if the labour candidate had been from outside the area .. for the first time i would have voted elsewhere ..

Margaret Pilkington 27-04-2010 11:01

I have told my daughter that I will be putting a cross next to every name on the paper.........and she is absolutely horrified.
Over the next however many days it is to the election, she is going to try to show me the error of my ways.
I don't hold out much hope for her chances of success.
I am of the opinion that this shower of Shwante, need to be shown that the voters are well and truly hacked off with their antics...and the fact that they think we can all be treated as imbeciles.
They should be shot at dawn with pig-muck.

Margaret Pilkington 27-04-2010 11:04

Yes, Jen...I would rather have a local person...but......the local person is standing for the party who have made(pardon my french) a right ar$e of things......so that is a no go for me.
I cannot, in all conscience, vote in a crowd that have made such a royal mess of things.
politicians who have had little regard for the people who expected them to do better...not just for us, but for the country.
So I am probably going to ditch the hat-pin after all that and vote for 'em all!

turkishdelight 27-04-2010 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 810401)
Yes, Jen...I would rather have a local person...but......the local person is standing for the party who have made(pardon my french) a right ar$e of things......so that is a no go for me.
I cannot, in all conscience, vote in a crowd that have made such a royal mess of things.
politicians who have had little regard for the people who expected them to do better...not just for us, but for the country.
So I am probably going to ditch the hat-pin after all that and vote for 'em all!

I would rather have a local person too, it makes sense. However as you say you cannot vote a crowd in that have made such a mess of everything, voting for them all is not being able to demonstrate how you feel and be able use your vote against these people who have made such a mess of things. We need to stand together to get this government out once and for all.

Taggy 27-04-2010 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 810398)
but who is he representing in parliament .. us .. as in our interests .. so what would you rather have .. a local person .. who knows the area, who lives in the area, knows what kind of problems there is locally .. or someone who has been parachuted in from outside the area ..

can i just say as well .. if the labour candidate had been from outside the area .. for the first time i would have voted elsewhere ..

Thats precisely the reason i have today (postal vote) voted for Graham. I was seriously considering a no vote or protest vote. However because i feel Graham is far and away the best candidate for Hyndburn, i've stuck with Labour, when otherwise i probably wouldn't have.

Also i decided a no vote or protest vote would probably play into the tory's hands in this instance, and i simply cannot stomach Cameron and Osborne, and feel they will prove a disaster if they get in,and so this also influenced my decision to vote for Graham.

I've also voted again for Bernard Dawson in the local, as i feel he's also done a decent job over many years!

Best Regards - Taggy

Ken Moss 27-04-2010 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkishdelight (Post 810403)
I would rather have a local person too, it makes sense. However as you say you cannot vote a crowd in that have made such a mess of everything, voting for them all is not being able to demonstrate how you feel and be able use your vote against these people who have made such a mess of things. We need to stand together to get this government out once and for all.

In other words, vote Conservative. Look beyond the figurehead and towards the crewmembers working the rigging:

Labour's ship is an trusty old boat which is maybe not coasting through the water at full speed but is certainly getting there as a team with a competent captain.

The Liberals have a shiny new ship full of promise but which is struggling to pull out of the harbour.

The Conservatives simply have David Cameron in the crow's nest screaming 'Danger!' at every opportunity.

That is at a national level and only really looking at what happens in Westminster. Vote for home grown talent if it is the best for your area, regardless of what colour rosette is pinned to the lapel.

Graham Jones is by far the best man for Hyndburn and deep down you know it.

turkishdelight 27-04-2010 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 810427)
In other words, vote Conservative. Look beyond the figurehead and towards the crewmembers working the rigging:

Labour's ship is an trusty old boat which is maybe not coasting through the water at full speed but is certainly getting there as a team with a competent captain.

The Liberals have a shiny new ship full of promise but which is struggling to pull out of the harbour.

The Conservatives simply have David Cameron in the crow's nest screaming 'Danger!' at every opportunity.

That is at a national level and only really looking at what happens in Westminster. Vote for home grown talent if it is the best for your area, regardless of what colour rosette is pinned to the lapel.

Graham Jones is by far the best man for Hyndburn and deep down you know it.

I could agree with you however that is a vote towards keeping Gordon in.I have to make my decision on this principle. I really like Nick Glegg and many people in the NHS are supporting him however feel that this would be a vote towards a hung parliament which i consider would be a disaster. I have spoken to many people over the previous weeks all votes appear to be either Lib Dem or Conservative not spoken to anyone considering voting Labour only people on this forum as it is also evident from the voting poll on here. Would like to here views from people who are voting Labour as to why i cant comprehend it.

DaveinGermany 27-04-2010 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 810427)
Look beyond the figurehead and towards the crewmembers working the rigging:

Labour's ship is an trusty old boat which is maybe not coasting

The Conservatives simply have David Cameron in the crow's nest screaming 'Danger!'

Figureheads can be replaced, also Captains if they are deemed unfit to command their vessel. A crew sails a Ship.

Trusty old Boat called Titanic, we know how that ends.

New ship, Sea trials & adjustments made to improve vessels performance & capability.

Take heed of the look out, he can see far more clearly than the Captain at the helm.

I really enjoy sailing !! :D