Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 16:48   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well I'm with Kate on this one. Peel Street never was a bus station - take away the shelters and we might get a better look at the market hall and all those new stalls that cost a fortune. They should have done the bus station first and put the stalls where the shelters are to make a proper market square.

And is it really that far from the proposed bus stops to the market? I don't believe that people don't have to go to Broadway or the Arndale for some things even if they normally shop in the market. It might help trade in those areas too. We should be encouraging footfall throughout the centre which isn't that big an area rather than confining it to one part.
She needs all the help she can get Sue
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2011, 16:55   #92
Resting In Peace

As an old-ish person myself I can see the argument but aren't we being a bit selfish? There must be pros for everyone else.

Being cynical, a bit of extra walking is probably good for most folks, oldies included!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:05   #93
Beacon of light

Sue it is fine if you can walk.......I take Ma out and about and she does try, but she can only walk a few yards.
I am old-ish too and relatively fit, but I have friends who are older and have no other means of transport than the buses and it worries them. I know because they talk about it.
As for being selfish....I don't know about you but, these people have never struck me as being selfish.......they worked brought up their children without much help(never asked for it, never wanted it, saw it as their responsibility).
As I say, it might not affect the young folk much, apart from perhaps mums with prams and toddlers.
Many of the recent 'improvements' to our town have not been up to much...... and before someone comes on and says I am talking the town down...I would say no, I'm not, I am telling it like it is....but maybe it is like the Emperors new clothes...you should keep shtum and smile knowingly. I wish I could!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:15   #94
God Member

Quote:
As an old-ish person myself I can see the argument but aren't we being a bit selfish?

Too right, while most people are only bothered about how far they have to walk to get a bus, some of us have a livelihood ( or eventual lack of it ) to consider
Old 16-12-2011, 17:19   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
I maybe wrong, but I think Asda did the same many years ago. I seem to recall a free bus service from town, to their store.
The free bus service was one of their traits odders, can remember them having a free bus from Hassy to the new Rawtenstall Asda, in the early eighties
Old 16-12-2011, 17:56   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
And is it really that far from the proposed bus stops to the market? I don't believe that people don't have to go to Broadway or the Arndale for some things even if they normally shop in the market. It might help trade in those areas too. We should be encouraging footfall throughout the centre which isn't that big an area rather than confining it to one part.
The problem by moving it is that it WILL confine people more to the Arndale area rather than the Market & Market Hall area, which at the moment are doing much worse than the Arndale Businesses. Everything is being pushed over to that side of town, people are forgetting Accrington is a Market Town & should be developed sympathetically as one.

As for the current bus station & peel street being smelly, how do you think the "new" bus station will end up in a few years, backing onto a row of shops on Union Street with an alleyway through, will surely encourage a fair bit of loitering i think.

Not much point putting a square in with seating area either, lets not forget the Police can't even maintain a safe environment containing a few benches outside the front of the market hall, they've been shifted because of undesirables at the expense of shoppers!

Car parking will get more people into that side of town....they will also have to do something to replace the lost parking spaces where the new station is planned!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 18:27   #97
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
As for the current bus station & peel street being smelly, how do you think the "new" bus station will end up in a few years, backing onto a row of shops on Union Street with an alleyway through, will surely encourage a fair bit of loitering i think.
It wasn't me that said Peel Street was smelly but it's certainly not very pleasant. However I do think it's timeto move on, make some progress in the town.
Old 16-12-2011, 18:38   #98
God Member

Quote:
It wasn't me that said Peel Street was smelly but it's certainly not very pleasant. However I do think it's timeto move on, make some progress in the town.
Interesting comment, in what way is it not pleasant compared to the rest of the centre ?
Old 16-12-2011, 19:06   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Interesting comment, in what way is it not pleasant compared to the rest of the centre ?
Well the bus shelters don't add to the ambience but it's no worse than Blackburn road. Could be a lot nicer though.
Old 16-12-2011, 19:39   #100
God Member

Quote:
Well the bus shelters don't add to the ambience but it's no worse than Blackburn road. Could be a lot nicer though.
What would make it nicer ?
Old 16-12-2011, 19:54   #101
Give, give, give member

Is it going to have seating, in this state of the art bus station?

At least the druggies, and pish heads will have somewhere dry to frolic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:57   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We've seen many (woefully expensive) 'improvements' to the town over the last twenty years.

The majority of which have improved nothing, and have been mainly detrimental to the place.

Old 16-12-2011, 20:04   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We've seen many (woefully expensive) 'improvements' to the town over the last twenty years.

The majority of which have improved nothing, and have been mainly detrimental to the place.
All decisions made by councillors. I think we may have just discovered the answer how to improve the town
Old 16-12-2011, 20:06   #104
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
What would make it nicer ?
As I said earlier I would have like to see the stalls where the shelters are and a proper market square. However the proposed carpark should help with trade in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Agreed but ist hat any reason to give up?
Old 16-12-2011, 20:29   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Agreed but ist hat any reason to give up?
Yes, when it's funded by ten million pounds, of peoples' hard earned taxes.

When there'll be no discernible benefits for the town.

I really can't be bothered searching, but in one of these threads I costed out how the money would be better spent improving the actual bus service, as well as employing twenty odd inspectors for the next forty years.

Moving the bus station won't encourage one more person onto a bus to visit the town.

Preston's (once state of the art) bus station is currently facing demolition.

All the times I went to Preston by bus, the bus station was never the actual draw.

By the way, this doesn't constitute a transport interchange.

You'll still have to walk the lovely route from the train station.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..