Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 13:56   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

It would make an even greater up to minute bus station......and revitalise the Market and the market hall by filling it instead of having it half empty...and looking unloved.
But hey, it is only my opinion as a bus user.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2011, 14:17   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know money is constrained and that is why Tesco want as many people as close to their outlet as possible....it would not surprise me in the least, if they got a mini bus shuttle service to run them up the hill.
I maybe wrong, but I think Asda did the same many years ago. I seem to recall a free bus service from town, to their store.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 14:33   #78
Beacon of light

Yes, they did.........and they may still have the same facility for shoppers.

I don't know if Tesco have had some input in where the new bus station would be sited, but it will certainly be more to their advantage for it to be in this new site.

I don't think there is anything wrong in offering a free bus service to any store......people have the choice as to whether to avail themselves of it......this bus station is different. I don't think the bus users have been listened to.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:33   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The point to me is simple,whilst wi respect susie n mobertol are only visiting once every Preston Guild n i assume that aint primarily to shop? those that use the town regular e,g. pensioners n stuff, many of those will be greatly incovienanced by siting it yon. i'm in full agreement wi Margaret P on this un, n yes odders yer quite correct asda did used to run free buses.

Last edited by cashman; 16-12-2011 at 14:38.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 14:36   #80
Beacon of light

This new bus station will not inconvenience the young and fit, but it may inconvenience the older people and those with toddlers and prams......these are the people who do use these services.

It will benefit aldi shoppers too....I know something, I wouldn't be trailing up the hill to Tesco, with aldi just across the road and on the level.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:59   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This new bus station will not inconvenience the young and fit, but it may inconvenience the older people and those with toddlers and prams......these are the people who do use these services.

l.
The main complaint re. the siting of the new bus station appears to be its 'great' distance from the Market Hall !!

Please look again where it is to be situated, will not be more than 200 yards to get to it, and passengers will have much further to walk to their homes after they alight at their chosen bus stop.

If they have the energy to do this, as well as trail around the market, sure this 'step and a stride' will be no hardship. They do visit places like M & S too, you know ... can tell that by the clothes they stock; must pay off.

At least when they get there, it will be a safer and a more comfortable wait for their bus. Much easier for people with wheelchairs and prams as wider passenger loading areas. Up to the minute information too, to inform passengers of approaching buses, etc.

Peel Street is not a bus station, and never was. Now, it is just a nasty, ugly, unsafe, smelly environment.

To be exchanged for another seems like madness to me. How many spaces would this proposed car park hold, I wonder ? Car drivers in and out, around and around, coming from all directions to seek a space... utter chaos.

To invite more trade into a town, you have to first present the town as aesthetically pleasant, which a square would do. I would definitely linger in a place like this, and might even encourage me to browse the market, which I don't do now... have never liked them.

By the way, Margaret, if you look at the 2.5 million for funding for the Victorian Arcade, it also includes improvements to Blackburn Road.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:00   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Youu get your lot together and I'll get my lot, meet on Peel St. Only oner way to settle this in true Harry Hill fashion....... fiiigggghhhhht
This would be fruitless now, you have already lost this fight.
Old 16-12-2011, 15:08   #83
Beacon of light

Kate, I was never much good at deciphering plans.......so I gave up looking at them.

I know several older people(we shop for one of them) who go into town on the bus and just go in the Market hall, or visit the market....and yes, they do have further to walk to the bus stop at their home, but when they have done this, it has used some of their energy...and they have to do this again on returning home......to you, who are young and fit for your age, this is no hardship....but with your shopping it might just prove to be a step too far...what is a step and a stride for you, is not so for some older people.

It is going to take far more than a new bus station and a town square to make Accrington aesthetically pleasing...as I said this bus station might just take peole away to places that fit this description.
Old 16-12-2011, 15:10   #84
God Member

A square with a children's park, green area, seating, perhaps a fountain or sculpture would be a good idea - I think it would draw more people in the center. Something, dare I say it, a little European in style!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:11   #85
Beacon of light

You mean like the sunken gardens we used to have on Broadway...many years ago...before your time I suspect.
Old 16-12-2011, 15:13   #86
Resting in Peace

Well, at least the council are trying to improve our town, and gaining funding.

I still say the bus station is not too far a distance at all. Off your bus, across Union Street, straight into the Arndale .. through Marks, then across to the Market. I think your argument is weak.

It will be like one of those things that you don't really want, but once it is there you will love it. Like mobile phones, computers and children
Old 16-12-2011, 15:29   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I still say the bus station is not too far a distance at all. Off your bus, across Union Street, straight into the Arndale .. through Marks, then across to the Market. I think your argument is weak.

It will be like one of those things that you don't really want, but once it is there you will love it. Like mobile phones, computers and children
Rubbish, you would say that yer plenty fit enough.
Old 16-12-2011, 15:42   #88
God Member

Quote:

Another plus which no-one seems to be considering is that all this will bring in much needed jobs - in the building trade etc for all the rennovations....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 16:41   #89
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Well I'm with Kate on this one. Peel Street never was a bus station - take away the shelters and we might get a better look at the market hall and all those new stalls that cost a fortune. They should have done the bus station first and put the stalls where the shelters are to make a proper market square.

And is it really that far from the proposed bus stops to the market? I don't believe that people don't have to go to Broadway or the Arndale for some things even if they normally shop in the market. It might help trade in those areas too. We should be encouraging footfall throughout the centre which isn't that big an area rather than confining it to one part.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 16:47   #90
Beacon of light

Quote:

Kate I am saying what the oldies are saying(those we travel with on bus journeys......those who don't have computers to tell you themselves).
And as I say, that walk is fine for you as you are now...and you can't imagine it being different.....not being strong enough to do it...I do hope it never comes to you...the frailty of age.

Some things seem fine on paper...they seem like improvements until they are put into action.
I will reserve judgement(I hate mobile phones...don't care for children much, but I do like my computer).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..