Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2008, 11:42   #76

Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Apparently they have now run out of the 5p bags at Asda Accrington and are having to use the free ones!! People are going mad wanting to know why they were made to buy some the other day.

In defense of Asda though these same people who paid 5p for their re-usable carrier bags didn't bring the bleedin' things with 'em!!

Nowt as queer as folk is there?

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2008, 11:50   #77
God Member

Nipped into Aldi last night and their carrier bags are nine pence same as Netto Guess who will be keeping some in her handbag from now on?
Old 30-05-2008, 13:37   #78
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Armed with 4 free carrier bags gained last week dispersed about my body I set out on my weekly foray to Asda, Grimshaw Park, Blackburn ready to make my point about the carrier bag policy change.

The first thing that I noticed was that there was no ‘Greeter’ around so that sort of spiked my guns a bit. There is no point in whinging at the checkout people. Although they could report back to their supervisor I suppose but it wasn’t really their doing.

Amongst the display of sweets etc adjacent to each checkout I spotted Hessian shopping bags for £1 suitably daubed with the Asda name. Remaining icily calm and collected I asked the checkout girl what the deal was with carrier bags.

Pointing to the dispenser that used to hold the free carrier bags she declared, “These are now 5p each. But they are re-usable.” However the cost of these bags was not posted on the dispenser. In fact there was nothing to indicate that these new carrier bags were for sale and not free. The customer finds out when he asks for one.

The bags that she was referring to were being promoted as being made from re-cycled plastic. I wonder how many people mis-read that and assumed that the bags themselves were re-cyclable? The bags, coloured green, had the Asda name prominently in the centre.

Anyone like to guess which colour is normally associated with Asda and has been long before the green issue became an issue? Correct – Asda livery is green.

So even if these 5p bags did not sport the Asda name it would still be obvious which supermarket they came from.

I declined the offer of the new carrier bags loudly enough for nearby shoppers to hear me, with a comment about not paying Asda money so that I could advertise their store, which prompted the checkout girl to produce a few of the old free ones.
Old 30-05-2008, 13:48   #79
Beacon of light

Did you take some free ones then?
And will you do what Mick does and turn them inside out?(though you can still clearly see the Asda brand name)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 14:56   #80
God Member

Bought my 1st lot of 5p carrier bags from Asda the other day, I say 1st lot cos no doubt I will forget to take them the next time

These bags are the bags for life, you pay 5p for it and if it breaks, gets a hole in it, is wearing thin, they replace it, for nothing

You are only paying the 5p once, per bag, unless you forget to take them back

Also, if you take in your own carrier bags, any, M&S, tesco, asda, whichever, they are giving vouchers for schools out, for future recycling equipment
Old 30-05-2008, 15:57   #81
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Did you take some free ones then?
And will you do what Mick does and turn them inside out?(though you can still clearly see the Asda brand name)
Of course I took the free ones.

When the free ones run out I certainly won’t be buying any bags that show the store name, so turning them inside out becomes academic.

I guess that I will have to revert to the old fashioned way and buy real shopping bags and bin liners.
Old 30-05-2008, 16:21   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Of course I took the free ones.

When the free ones run out I certainly won’t be buying any bags that show the store name, so turning them inside out becomes academic.

I guess that I will have to revert to the old fashioned way and buy real shopping bags and bin liners.
Good job you don't shop at Harrods
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:20   #83
God Member

although not a great deal of money at 5p each if you buy 6 bags of asda thats 30p

that 30p could have got you the better quality sausages instead of the cheaper asdas own

its ok asda saying they are cutting prices but its no good if they are taking the money back from you at the tills by charging you for bags

im pretty damn sure the bags dont cost asda 5p each and in my opinion should be free

next we will have chip shops charging us for wrapping paper unless we take our previous wrapping paper back
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:50   #84
Resting In Peace

we have been using the hessian bags for six months, o, k, you cant put them in your pocket but they don't cut into your hands like the plastic carriers.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:56   #85
God Member

you could always do what i've done and BUY A SHOPPING TROLLEY

seriously though, i've been using material bags for several months now, i bought mine from tesco and wilkinsons, like tosh said, they are easier on the hands, the tesco and wilki's bags fold up into your handbag and have a little clip on them to make sure they stay folded, definately worth the 45p i paid for them and they will last me ages
Old 30-05-2008, 19:04   #86

Was at Asda today, the lady on the till gave the bloke in front of me an old free bag. She seemed to have a stash of old screwed up carrier bags under her counter , the previously free ones. The used to have a large box in the foyer for putting your old free bags in, wonder if they are sifting through those to hand out to folk.

Anyway, I think I will invest in some proper shopping bags like a few of you lot, it makes good sense.
Old 30-05-2008, 19:07   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Was at Asda today, the lady on the till gave the bloke in front of me an old free bag. She seemed to have a stash of old screwed up carrier bags under her counter , the previously free ones. The used to have a large box in the foyer for putting your old free bags in, wonder if they are sifting through those to hand out to folk.

Anyway, I think I will invest in some proper shopping bags like a few of you lot, it makes good sense.
nice pink wheely-bag like flashy's

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 19:15   #88

Been using our own for ages but sometimes you just get a little too much and need one or two extra carriers, I certainly won't be too bothered about paying a few pence extra for them knowing I'll be re-using them.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 19:15   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
nice pink wheely-bag like flashy's
LMAO, sure, why not. Shocking pink, then some of those planks in their cars might be able to see me walking across the car park
Old 30-05-2008, 22:20   #90
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
although not a great deal of money at 5p each if you buy 6 bags of asda thats 30p

that 30p could have got you the better quality sausages instead of the cheaper asdas own

its ok asda saying they are cutting prices but its no good if they are taking the money back from you at the tills by charging you for bags

im pretty damn sure the bags dont cost asda 5p each and in my opinion should be free

next we will have chip shops charging us for wrapping paper unless we take our previous wrapping paper back
It’s not the cost but the principle of paying for a carrier bag that bears the issuing store details giving them free advertising.

In any case a decrease in the use of plastic bags will be offset by people buying bin liners.

How long before this government issues instructions that we have to use both sides of the toilet paper?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..