Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2008, 13:37   #1
God Member

Asda Doing Their Bit

Just got some shopping from Asda and they are no longer giving free carrier bags. The new Bag For Life are five pence each. I for one am forever going shopping and not reusing carrier bags so think this is a good way to help the enviroment. Anybody else got loads of carrier bags who will think twice when they are being charged five pence each? The new bags are made from recycled plastic.
Old 26-05-2008, 13:41   #2
God Member

Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Think its a good idea, theres no real need to constantly use bags when you can just reuse them.
Old 26-05-2008, 13:42   #3

what about if you get your shopping delivered online?
bernie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 13:44   #4
Beacon of light

While it is a good idea and they are to be applauded, there are many other plastic items that don't seem to be acceptable for recycling. I recently put a washing up bowl in with my plastic waste....the binmen wouldn't take it....apparently it was the wrong sort of plastic????
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 13:44   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie94 View Post
Don't know but would imagine they will be part of the shopping list.
Old 26-05-2008, 13:47   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While it is a good idea and they are to be applauded, there are many other plastic items that don't seem to be acceptable for recycling. I recently put a washing up bowl in with my plastic waste....the binmen wouldn't take it....apparently it was the wrong sort of plastic????
Yes I read somewhere that bottles and cartons have numbers printed on them somewhere. Whilst I am quite happy to do my bit I draw the line at having to scrutinise everything for a code
Old 26-05-2008, 13:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie94 View Post
Perhaps a scheme such as milkmen use with glass bottles would be a good one.
Old 26-05-2008, 13:50   #8
God Member

i'll just carry on buying em every time probably. Its too much bother to keep them and then remember to take the buggers.

besides there isn't room in my kitchen between the various bins and recycling boxes!
Old 26-05-2008, 14:58   #9
white rabbits

I dont mind supermarkets charging for bags,because we take so many,,,but i went in Hitchens in Fleetwood the other day and bought 4 tops,,the girl said its 5p for the bag ,so me being the old skinflint that i am told her where to shove it,and said i will carry them in my arms
outside i used my m&s carrier...i am not paying to advertise their shop...i think it is now another good excuse to rip us off,, at Prymark you get a brown paper bag,,,nice one
Old 26-05-2008, 15:00   #10
Resting in Peace

I think they could do much more: by not having all the plastic on their goods... again its us the general public that have to pay:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:03   #11

My t'other half were there this morning and got half a dozen of the normal carrier bags. Wonder if they've changed it since then, then.
And, how would that work with the self checkout bit?

Gail xxxx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:26   #12
Beacon of light

The Primark bags are Ok if you haven't got too much weight(or coat hangers still attached)....but I have started takin cloth bags and I always carry a plasticated Liberty bag in a little case in my handbag.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 16:16   #13
God Member

Morrison's are now doing the recycled bag-for-life thing too.

Cutting back on the freebie plastic carriers is, I suppose, a step in the right direction. At least there will be less of them littering the countryside. I would be more likley to believe Supermarket's new-found green enthusiasm if they were to cut back substantially on the plastic packaging their products come in, or if they exercised a little more restraint in their use of lighting, heating and refrigeration - I am thinking of those enormous characterless tin sheds they use, where a good half of the interior volume is filled with nothing but hot air and massive sodium vapour and halogen lighting. They could also do more to tackle the mountains of waste food packaging and advertising material they produce. Another thing they could do is to stop flying food halfway round the world. As it is dispensing with free plastic bags is merely paying lip service to the idea of conserving the planet's natural resources and combatting climate change.
Old 26-05-2008, 16:42   #14

I Went Today And When I Got To The Till She Tried To Charge Me And I Wasnt Having Any Of It So She Gave Me Them For Free Tyhis Time Its Just A Trial.
Told Her I Would Go To Tesco And She Said They Are Going To Be Doing It As Well!!
But The Plus Whith Tesco Is At Least You Would Get The Points For Each Bag.
They Should At Least Advertise This So People Wouldnt Be Caught Shortlike We Would Of Been.
ozzypostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 16:45   #15
God Member

The food packaging is using far more resources than the carriers, and both are included in the cost of goods bought, I reuse the carriers for various things, and i'm not paying 5p to line the bin with it, when the supermarkets take more care and package less, I will buy carriers, untill then, if I go into asda and do my usual monthly freezer shop (I shop online for the rest), and they dont supply carriers, they can put the lot back on the shelves, or in the freezers, I am willing to bet they will not forego £200 for the sake of a few carriers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..