Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2014, 09:21   #136
Senior Member+

Re: BENEFITS hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have to say that I am with Neil on this one.

You may not like the Royal family, but they are one of the main reasons why the tourists come and spend their money here....and I am sure that there have been surveys that support this.
Britain relies heavily on the hospitality and leisure industry for income. This is especially true of the places where the Royals reside.....Sandringham, Windsor,
Balmoral. If you visit any of these places you will find them thronged with tourists at any time of the year. These tourists are spending money......adding to the economy.
There are many other things where a penny pinching attitude would be more worthy.
These stories also smack of the politics of envy....besides being sensationalist nonsense.
Please do not fall into the trap that mires our member from over the border......posting snidely sensationalist headlines without any real balance.
As always Margaret I respect your opinion (even if (sometimes) I don't agree).
The point of the post (like many of my posts) is to try provoke debate (even if I am failing an falling into the "troll" category)

As you probably gathered I'm not a royalist.
I think it's a joke that folk are being forced to rely on benefits more and more while the royals/MPs sit there in their gold lined clothes calling folk "benefit scroungers" especially when they themselves are nuzzling into the benefit boob.
I for one certainly don't agree with paying for Liz an her tribe to live the high flying lifestyle while the country crumbles and most folk don't have a pot to pee in.....

..I can always google the long words no apology needed

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Neil; 25-02-2014 at 11:20. Reason: fix quote
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2014, 10:06   #137
Beacon of light

I don't expect anyone to agree with me. My opinions are my own and I am fiendishly proprietorial about them.
I also respect the opinions of others on the forum.

I have already said my bit on those who are on benefits.
But in case you missed it....I support the benefits system for those who see it as a helping hand.....something to tide you over the troughs of life.
I do not support those who see benefits as a lifestyle choice. Those who have babies so that they don't have to work,so that they can jump up the housing list, those who take benefits but have paid nothing at all into the pot.....those who claim benefits but work in the black economy.

And before you tell me about thieving MP's Bankers,multinational businesses and those fat cats in industry who think they do not need to pay their rightful dues.......next time someone comes knocking on your door canvassing for your vote, Tell them that it is time the government closed the loopholes that enables these people to act in the way that they do......the loopholes that makes dishonesty legal(though totally immoral).

If that were done, then there would be no need to deny those rightfully entitled to benefits that would allow them to live, rather than exist.
Less and Accyexplorer like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:07   #138
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Provoke is a very emotive word, why don't you stop poking folk with your virtual stick, sit back, relax and let their words of wonder wash over you in a mind expanding experience?

You may then, find we, the people less critical of your inexperience?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll at pc1.jpg (56.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Less; 25-02-2014 at 10:10.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:32   #139
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Provoke is a very emotive word, why don't you stop poking folk with your virtual stick, sit back, relax and let their words of wonder wash over you in a mind expanding experience?

You may then, find we, the people less critical of your inexperience?
"Mind expanding experience",I like it ,I often do sit back and observe but it gets kinda dull waiting for something new to crop up.
These "words of wonder" you mention sometimes don't sit quite right with me though,so I like to debate them if for No other reason than to one day obtain a understanding of the great knowledge that the established members have
If folk think my "inexperience" needs criticising I encourage them to do so.

Awaits the tirade and attachment

password--Accyweb
Old 25-02-2014, 10:37   #140
Beacon of light

Life is inexperience. We go on building up experience...some learn from it others do not(however painful or expensive it may prove)...just as we think we have gained enough experience...we die...snuff it, and all the experience is consigned to dust - unless we have been able to pass on our experience and leave others with something to wonder about.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:54   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Awaits the tirade and attachment
Well, it's obvious, you know nothing and express it to the best of your ability.
Old 25-02-2014, 11:23   #142
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
As you probably gathered I'm not a royalist.
I think it's a joke that folk are being forced to rely on benefits more and more while the royals/MPs sit there in their gold lined clothe....
It's the overpaid MP's thing again, the chief exec at Hyndburn is on almost twice a basic MP's salary.
Old 25-02-2014, 11:29   #143
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No overpayment of anyones salary is as obscene as Top Sportspeople, yet everyone attacks others in the main.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 25-02-2014, 11:59   #144
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No overpayment of anyones salary is as obscene as Top Sportspeople, yet everyone attacks others in the main.
Very true,but sports folk are not paid for by the taxpayer and the royal family can hardly claim to have worked for their money.......unless you count opening shops and posh hand waving as a job

password--Accyweb
Old 25-02-2014, 12:00   #145
Beacon of light

Cashy, I agree. The latest info about Wayne Rooney getting 300K a month is eye watering...but his club must think he is worth that and there seems to be no shortage of people who want to go and watch him play. If folk were to stop going to see him play then I guess that he wouldn't be getting that amount of money(I wonder if he pays all his tax on that amount - or whether he has bamboozled the taxman into thinking he is a used car dealer making a loss) It is a supply and demand thing.
Whereas MP's they are about as useful as mammaries on a bull.

We will always have rich people....we will always have poor people. Communism was put forward to try and level things out but that doesn't work either......those with money have power. Those who don't, have precious little and that is why MP's take so little notice of them - they are insignificant.
Old 25-02-2014, 12:08   #146
Beacon of light

Quote:
Very true,but sports folk are not paid for by the taxpayer and the royal family can hardly claim to have worked for their money.......unless you count opening shops and posh hand waving as a job
I am not a Royalist, but I have to disagree with you there.

Did you see the Queen on the Royal Barge during the Jubilee Celebrations......she stood in the cold and wet for hours on end so that her people and the tourists could enjoy the spectacle of this event.
Because she doesn't get up and don a pair of overalls doesn't mean that she isn't working....because you cannot see or appreciate what she does, doesn't mean that she is idle. I am sure that just for a few days she would like to be anonymous. To stroll the streets with a bag of chips in her hand - but she can't do that. She has given all of her life to this country......and to you that lack of freedom to do what she wants, when she wants and in the manner she wants, is worth nothing.
She contributes far more to the country by generating interest...and wealth, than do those who do nothing but take from the system....like those on Benefits Street(who now ludicrously seem to think they are celebrities).
Other countries envy our Royal family....precisely because t hey do not have one.
Less and Jim Procter like this.
Old 25-02-2014, 12:54   #147
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Cashy, I agree. The latest info about Wayne Rooney getting 300K a month is eye watering...but his club must think he is worth that and there seems to be no shortage of people who want to go and watch him play
It's £300,000 a week not month and it's debatable if the club can afford to pay that.
Old 25-02-2014, 13:01   #148
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It's £300,000 a week not month and it's debatable if the club can afford to pay that.
I meant a week...but by the time I had spotted my error it was too late to change it.

Well, I was listening(or half listening) to the football pundits on Sky on Sunday morning(himself likes that sort of thing) and they all seemed to think that M.U. could afford it...and that it would boost the club in a stability sort of way(especially overseas) to think that they had W.R. on a contract which will take him well past his 30th birthday(apparently this is the point when players are only offered a contract year on year).
I wouldn't pay the little pie face three and six a week(but then that is because I don't like him overmuch and think football is a useless waste of effort).
Old 25-02-2014, 13:14   #149

BENEFITS hmmmm

300,000 a week or a month always seems excessive, but what do I know?
I'm just happy to be a scrounger taking people's taxes as a benefit that is crippling the Country not just a football club!
If I was working I'd be calling me as well. Kicking the underdog should be a professional sport, I'd be up there with the elite performers.
Old 25-02-2014, 13:21   #150
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am not a Royalist, but I have to disagree with you there.

Did you see the Queen on the Royal Barge during the Jubilee Celebrations......she stood in the cold and wet for hours on end so that her people and the tourists could enjoy the spectacle of this event.
Because she doesn't get up and don a pair of overalls doesn't mean that she isn't working....because you cannot see or appreciate what she does, doesn't mean that she is idle. I am sure that just for a few days she would like to be anonymous. To stroll the streets with a bag of chips in her hand - but she can't do that. She has given all of her life to this country......and to you that lack of freedom to do what she wants, when she wants and in the manner she wants, is worth nothing.
She contributes far more to the country by generating interest...and wealth, than do those who do nothing but take from the system....like those on Benefits Street(who now ludicrously seem to think they are celebrities).
Other countries envy our Royal family....precisely because t hey do not have one.
Ok I respect your point of view,I just thought I'd do some "royal bashing" to even the scales
Awww so she stood in the rain for a few hours,The queen is so hard done too
Queen Elizabeth is hurting for money - San Jose Mercury News
Maybe she can go to a food bank or the "flag wavers" on here can have a whip round for her

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..