Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2006, 09:53   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Sweden?

The country with very little commercial hostelries, and the highest priced alcohol in the world, and the highest suicide rates?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2006, 11:01   #122
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Sweden?

The country with very little commercial hostelries, and the highest priced alcohol in the world, and the highest suicide rates?
They don't need to go out, they are all too busy holding there own private parties at home
Old 18-02-2006, 17:54   #123
Beacon of light

So the government brings in a blanket smoking ban, but allows extended drinking....I hesitate to say 24 hour drinking because it isn't.......so they swap one lethal habit for the population to indulge in the other.......and it is still a killer!..........No problem with paying out pensions if the youth of today booze themselves into oblivion........and the old folk freeze to death!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 18:57   #124
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Ever smelt 'Angel' ... can smell it 1/2 mile away .. even through cigarette smoke... yuk. These are damaging my health !!
A fella bought me a bottle of angel perfume n i really like the smell except its soo strong so much so i cant wear it (45 quid a bottle! ) but would rather have to put up with that than smoke,i really want to smack people who smoke round my lil' un....give yourself diseases n try n kill yourself but please dont do it to a baby who can't even walk away!
ABOUT TIME THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT I SAY

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 19:56   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
white horse Huncoat
Spud it was called the White Lion. It was at one time a good pub but went down hill faster than a bobslay team.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 20:31   #126
Resting In Peace

I have never smoked and I don't intend to, and I don't have a problem with people smoking where I am, whether it is in pubs or restaurants it is fine by me. The people who do have a problem I find are mostly ex smokers who have quit and think they have an axe to grind, to these I say "get a life" if that is all they have to worry about then they are lucky, and the same goes for the namby pamby politicians who make these stupid laws and expect others (Landlords, Bar Staff, Waiters etc..) to enforce them.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 22:35   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty
A fella bought me a bottle of angel perfume n i really like the smell except its soo strong so much so i cant wear it (45 quid a bottle! ) but would rather have to put up with that than smoke,i really want to smack people who smoke round my lil' un....give yourself diseases n try n kill yourself but please dont do it to a baby who can't even walk away!
ABOUT TIME THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT I SAY
Fine, as long as you don't let your baby scream within my earshot.

Noise pollution drives me mad.

Old 19-02-2006, 08:51   #128

i don't have a problem with smoking or not smoking its up yourselfs,what happened to freedom of choice and all that, and as for babys crying thats ok as well, we've all been babys at some time or other, ive had 3 of my own, and after all they are the only truley innocent voices that we ever hear, but have we all gone enforcement mad! whats the next enforcement, which side of the pavement to use depending on which direction were walking? will coughing in the street become a crime because were polluting the atmosphere how will they identify us will we have to wear big numbers on our backs? theres so many other serious and worrying events happening around us. will they have smoking wardens? hiding around corners just waiting to pounce and earn another brownie point!!! or will they expect the very people, who WILL suffer in lost revenue (the publicans) to report all smoking action....... i just think we've all gone barking mad and need to concentrate on the bigger problems in our society.....
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 09:37   #129
God Member

I don't want to get into an argument about the rights and wrongs of smoking, we have all been there and done that, at considerable length in other posts.

I really couldn't care less about the health of non-smokers who choose to work in premises where smoking takes place. How stupid is that? If they are that concerned over the consequences of sois-dissant passive smoking I connot easily imagine why any sane rational person would wish to put themselves at such risk? And as for poisoning babies with cigarette smoke - there are some who might look on that as something of a public service.

The thing that really concerns me about this is the gradual whittling away of the freedoms that were won, often at great cost, by previous generations, often for the most trivial and spurious of reasons by successive governments who are desperate to be seen to be doing something - anything to justify the enormous amounts of our money that they administer on our behalf.

I am greatly concerned that our government appears unwilling to regard any of us as having suffient maturity and independence of mind to be able to succesfully navigate the daily hazards of life without their regulating every nanosecond of of our experience of it.

If I have one message to give to the Honorable Members of Parliament it is this; keep your sticky noses out of things that need not concern you, pay the bills and shut the F**k up!
Old 19-02-2006, 10:24   #130

my thoughts exactly
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 10:28   #131
Give, give, give member

Talking of freedoms fought for, we have a box sent to my great Grandfather, along with all the other Tommy's fighting at the front in WW1 at Christmas 1914, from Princess Mary.

'With thanks from a greatful Nation. Please find enclosed your cigarettes. Please only smoke in open trenches, so as not to bother your non-smoking brothers in arms.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insight_dec05_focus2_large.jpg (58.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 19-02-2006, 11:29   #132
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
.'
that is beautiful ....you must be very proud,,,,:engsmil:
Old 01-04-2006, 23:49   #133
Give, give, give member

Cheeky bleeders.

Just heard on the news that the Houses of Commons and Westminster will be exempt from the smoking ban because they fall under Royal Palaces, thus the MPs will still be able to have a fag in their bars.

Old 02-04-2006, 00:00   #134
Senior Member+

I don't suppose anyone expected anything else Rindy. It has crossed my mind, though...........should I fancy wandering around a palace, after paying the entrance fee, I'll be entitled to have a ciggie........happen not!

June x
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 00:04   #135
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
should I fancy wandering around a palace, after paying the entrance fee, I'll be entitled to have a ciggie........happen not!

June x
Good point, shall we try it???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..