Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 10:10   #151
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
You may scoff and try to ridicule people Less but nonetheless the masses portrayed in those two films is where we are heading.

You may not agree with my view but I reserve the right to make it without some supercilious twit trying to put it down.
You have obviously gone beyond the help that tablets can give but, please try to get a grip!

They are Science fiction the place I and everyone else, with the obvious exception of yourself live in is the real world.

As for your supercilious twit remark I will allow you in your deranged state of mind to get away with it and will only urge and encourage you to seek medical help before your situation gets any worse.

Last edited by Less; 04-04-2006 at 10:13.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28   #152
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
You have obviously gone beyond the help that tablets can give but, please try to get a grip!

They are Science fiction the place I and everyone else, with the obvious exception of yourself live in is the real world.

As for your supercilious twit remark I will allow you in your deranged state of mind to get away with it and will only urge and encourage you to seek medical help before your situation gets any worse.
I think that it is time for a mod to step in here and censure Less for his disparaging remarks about my mental health.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50   #153
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyRach
And where on earth can you smoke in a hospital?!? Next time I go for a check-up at Queen's Park Hospital, I won't even be allowed to have one in their car park with my windows rolled up (giving me the maximum benefit from my very expensive fag!) I can see it now - all us smokers 'waiting' on double yellow lines at the entrance to the car park with our engines running so that we don't get a parking ticket. Two pollutants for the price of one
The smoking ban at East Lancs Trust came into force on 1st December 2005. In my opinion, it is failing miserably. They have the staff by the short and curlies, but patients and visitors are a different matter. Patients and visitors are still smoking at the entrances, security does nothing about it. Many of the nursing staff say nothing, myself included.. It is not my job to receive a gobful of abuse from visitors as I am going into work. Staff are going off the premesis during their breaks. Nursing staff do not get paid for their break time like the police do, so they are technically entitled to leave the premesis.

So don't worry about your fag when you come for hospital appointments.....Nobody else does..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53   #154
God Member

Was it banned at the hospital because all there blankets were being smoked? Only thing is "HOW DO YOU SMOKE A BLANKET?"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 17:33   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyRach
And where on earth can you smoke in a hospital?!? Next time I go for a check-up at Queen's Park Hospital, I won't even be allowed to have one in their car park with my windows rolled up (giving me the maximum benefit from my very expensive fag!) I can see it now - all us smokers 'waiting' on double yellow lines at the entrance to the car park with our engines running so that we don't get a parking ticket. Two pollutants for the price of one
[/FONT]

I don't quite understand what they base this proposed ban on Rach. Rule should be, as in California, any public place with a roof. Surely, the ban was enforced purely to protect the non-smokers and now they wish to own the fresh air on their land. Not doing any harm having a drag in the car park as far as I can tell, even with windows open, so what is the reason ? Now, that really smacks of big brother and controlling to me
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 18:07   #156
Apprentice Geriatric

When the smoking ban comes into force and bear in mind that it hasn’t yet, the ban will apply to all ENCLOSED PUBLIC SPACES and the operative word here is ENCLOSED. I understand enclosed to mean a building with a roof and walls all the way around and closable entry points – that is doors. Thus a bus shelter will not fall into that category – no doors except that the owner of a bus shelter can decree that smoking in the bus shelter is not allowed or is allowed.

As far as car parks are concerned the owner of the car park can stipulate that smoking is banned even though it is not an ENCLOSED PUBLIC SPACE. But that would be hugely hypocritical seeing as the air will be full of noxious, poisonous and deadly vehicle exhaust fumes at peak times and this throws into question ‘fresh air’. The so called fresh air that we all breathe is nothing of the sort. In fact the oxygen content of the ‘fresh air’ is some 3% less than what it was 50 years ago.

However many of the non smoking brigade are already quoting the ban as just PUBLIC SPACES. That’s a bit like kicking a person when they are down.

The non smoking brigade will rue the day that they set off on that trail because all it has done is to establish a precedent that the governments will exploit to the full in the years to come so that they can control the citizens to the Nth degree.
Old 04-04-2006, 22:01   #157
Resting in Peace

Still very confusing though butty, 'ain it... you mean they can pronounce you can't have a fag in their car park ?? Can they also say you cannot eat your sandwich in your car ? Chew chewing gum, let out obnoxious gases .. like methane (sure you get this drift).. oh yeh, breathe, gosh carbon monoxide on exhaling god forbid. Will this be the next step ?? I'm definitely confused with all this.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:41   #158
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

I guess they could if they wanted to katex. After all it is their property and as such they can decree what can and cannot happen in it subject to the laws of the land.

I wonder how long it will be before it dawns on councils, housing associations and private landlords that they could ban the tenants from smoking in their property when they rent it? Just to put the boot in a bit further.

The same might apply to Motability leased vehicles.

Yet amidst all this as I understand it prisoners in jail will be allowed to smoke but not the warders. The same will probably apply to prisoners in police cells.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:45   #159
God Member

The council up hear JB wont visit if there is a smoker in the house who has had their fix within the previous hour of a visit. Bit of a bummer if they dont give a time of a visit.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 13:04   #160
Resting in peace

All that surprises me is that people are surprised that MPs retain for themselves the right to smoke in the bars and elsewhere in their work place. I have it on good authority (from an MP) that several members came from the bar, having put out their last fags, and went through the Aye lobby - knowing full well that it would not apply to them!

Don't do as I do, do as I say - ring any bells with anyone?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 17:12   #161
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
oh yeh, breathe, gosh carbon monoxide on exhaling god forbid. Will this be the next step ?? I'm definitely confused with all this.
think you meant carbon Dioxide from breathing cardon monoxide is what kills you when gas fires etc are not serviced or flues blocked oh and from petrol engines (not as much from diesel i'm told)

I am a smoker and will just have to party at home when the ban comes in
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 17:41   #162
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T
think you meant carbon Dioxide from breathing cardon monoxide is what kills you when gas fires etc are not serviced or flues blocked oh and from petrol engines (not as much from diesel i'm told)

I am a smoker and will just have to party at home when the ban comes in
Yeh, tee hee, did mean Carbon Dioxide of course, what goes on in my brain these days, doesn't always reach the tips of my fingers at the keyboard

Thanks for publicly pointing out the error of my ways
Old 05-04-2006, 22:21   #163
God Member

Well it had to happen one owner fined £200 in Glasgow.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-04-2006, 17:41   #164
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

I wonder how they will be able to tell when you had your last cigarette before their visit SPUGGIE J? A spy camera in you living room?

I remember reading somewhere quite a while back that if a tradesman calls to fix something in your house and you smoke whilst he is there, he can legitimately walk out in complaint. Imagine the scene – he has your washer in pieces and you walk in the kitchen with a fag in your mouth to make a brew. He takes one whiff of the smoke and packs his tools up and walks out.
Old 06-04-2006, 22:18   #165
God Member

Its gonna get intrestin mi thinks.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..