Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2008, 15:01   #16
JFT96

Re: car thefts - has this been mentioned here already?

So do I now chain my car to a lamp post, or will they take that as well?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2008, 16:49   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Only if it's cast iron
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:10   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: car thefts - has this been mentioned here already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
The local authority doesn’t like people chaining things to its lampposts.

It gets all cranky.
Old 15-09-2008, 17:39   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The local authority doesn’t like people chaining things to its lampposts.

It gets all cranky.
Is that your local authority or mine? My local authority have nothing to do with lamp posts so probably wont care.
Old 15-09-2008, 18:29   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres a simple way to deter this crime, just pass a law saying log book etc, must be provided at scrap yard before acceptance of a vehicle, if not the yard loses its licence. but thats too simple.
Old 15-09-2008, 20:59   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
theres a simple way to deter this crime, just pass a law saying log book etc, must be provided at scrap yard before acceptance of a vehicle, if not the yard loses its licence. but thats too simple.
Good point there cashy, but i would rather see the police and trading standards at the scrap yards more often and this may deter illegal scrapping of stolen cars and drains and other bits like copper as these scrap yards are as criminal as the theives themselves
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 21:38   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
Good point there cashy, but i would rather see the police and trading standards at the scrap yards more often and this may deter illegal scrapping of stolen cars and drains and other bits like copper as these scrap yards are as criminal as the theives themselves
think theres far more important stuff in the community they can be getting on with jacky, i prefer legislation, that way all ya need is someone to inspect scrap yards n paperwork etc, there aint that many thesedays, so not beyond it,
Old 16-09-2008, 09:27   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: car thefts - has this been mentioned here already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is that your local authority or mine? My local authority have nothing to do with lamp posts so probably wont care.
Years ago a neighbour wrapped his car around a lamppost and he got the bill from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council for the repair. Thus I assume that lampposts are the responsibility of the local authority.

But that was then and this is now so I rang the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council to ask the question.

I was told that the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council Highway Authority known as the “Traffic Division” is responsible for all adopted streets and roads within the borough and that includes lampposts, road signs, kerb side railings etc. The “Traffic Division” works in conjunction with United Utilities if electricity is involved in the structure.

I also asked what was the policy on the public using lampposts to chain a scooter to. The lady that I spoke to was unable to give an answer, but off the record she hinted that as long as the chain does not damage the lamppost no one would bother and of course it would depend on which lamppost.

I would imagine that other boroughs would have a similar responsibility.
Old 16-09-2008, 09:35   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They can still be lifted like that, I have seen it done.
How much did it cost you to get it back Neil
Old 20-09-2008, 19:07   #25
God Member

well i got back from my hols today and the neigbours told me about how teh gypo's have been driving down our street almost every night in a white van which is probably teh theives checking out which cars are on which drives each night

no one actualy bothered to call the police though and pass on ths bit of information but saying that i just tried ringing both accrington and blackburn police and cant get an answer from either of them

just glad i took my car with me

hope these scumbags get caught by some realy big guy with a crowbar rather than the police

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 21:24   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
Someone = Max and Paddy,,, scene from pheonix nights that is gayle But ever so true.
I got told about it about 20 years ago from a guy I knew in Manchester - I wonder if the same incident inspired the scene?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 21:30   #27
God Member

Quote:
Years ago a neighbour wrapped his car around a lamppost and he got the bill from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council for the repair. Thus I assume that lampposts are the responsibility of the local authority.

But that was then and this is now so I rang the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council to ask the question.

I was told that the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council Highway Authority known as the “Traffic Division” is responsible for all adopted streets and roads within the borough and that includes lampposts, road signs, kerb side railings etc. The “Traffic Division” works in conjunction with United Utilities if electricity is involved in the structure.

I also asked what was the policy on the public using lampposts to chain a scooter to. The lady that I spoke to was unable to give an answer, but off the record she hinted that as long as the chain does not damage the lamppost no one would bother and of course it would depend on which lamppost.

Maintenance of highways does generally include lamp posts and certainly does in Lancaster, Manchester, Preston and Bolton, because I was working for a personal injury barrister not so long ago and lighting of the highway was one of the things you ask about when someone injures themself and it was in the council reports whether there had had to be any repairs.

I can't imagine Oswaldtwistle being an exception to this because the Highways Act surely applies to everyone and this is pretty much what dictates to the council about what should be maintained. Whether I am absolutely correct or not I couldn't tell you because I don't particularly want to start reading the Highways Act to check it's quite a bore!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 21:36   #28
God Member

Quote:
I have a feeling that is the case at the moment with licensed breakers and the Vehicle has to be de-registered before scrapping.
The breakers then notify the DVLA that the vehicle has indeed been rendered inoperative.
That is a vehicle from a registered owner.........If the owner of the vehicle cannot be traced then it is up to the local authority to dispose of the vehicle.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 20-09-2008 at 21:39.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 10:09   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Blackburn with Darwen are responcible for their own street maintanance, lighting, roads gutters pavements ect, as they are a unitry authority, places like Hyndburn, Rossendale and Burnley, are part of LCC who are responcible for the upkeep of all roads lighting and footpaths not the local council. Hyndburn used to do road repairs under licence from LCC, but now the County do their own
Old 24-09-2008, 15:15   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Left the doors open - key in ignition and log book in glove compartment the damn things still there.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..