Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 17:45   #1
Resting in Peace

Caught Red Handed

I was watching a program on BBC1 this morning called Caught Red Handed, in this program the police in Bournemouth decided to use a scam to catch thieves they left a laptop all over the place. in a park, pub garden town centre, the only thing was people were handing it in However, eventually somebody walked of with it and they actually knew who he was, he kept it for two days before the police raided his home and retrieved the laptop, he was then arrested and was given an extra 9 months on a previous sentence and was back in the nick. Just wondered if anybody thinks this is a bit underhanded by the law, or were they right doing this, personally I think they were right and at least one thieving scumbag is where he belongs
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2013, 17:56   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Caught Red Handed

Didn't the Police try that a few years ago?

But they used a car, I think the eventual thieves had to be let go because Although, yes they stole the car, the Police had left it to tempt them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 18:29   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Entrapment. Law enforcement agencies using an object/person to encourage a third party to commit a criminal offence. (or so I believe)
Old 12-03-2013, 18:30   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

But they used a car, I think the eventual thieves had to be let go because Although, yes they stole the car, the Police had left it to tempt them.
Thats a load of crap the judge who allowed that one thro should be serving a sentence. If the scumbag wasn't in thief mode, how would he have known the car was insecure.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 18:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Ya can remember that Less, the doors locked and the motor cut out, that's what I was wondering in this case but the guy actually got 9 months for it.
Old 12-03-2013, 21:55   #6
God Member

its entrapment and is wrong.The guy although not the most honest of people it seems would not have stolen a laptop had it not been left unattended in a place where it was made to appear obviously abandoned.

if it had been left on a car seat and the person smashed the window to get at the laptop then fair enough but it was apparently left in a place where the thought if i dont grab it someone else will probbably entered his mind.

to me its no different than those dirt bag coppers that sit at 30mph signs exiting a 50mph zone with a speed gun

im not saying his actions were right but he was tempted by the police to commit a crime which is basically making crime which isnt their job.As for the trap cars the people have to break into them to try stealing them then they shut down after a few yards and the doors lock so by breaking in the criminal has already broken the law and proven intent to steal
Restless likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 07:35   #7
God Member

That programme has just been on again this morning on bbc2, I don't think its right what the police did, and what they do
Old 13-03-2013, 07:46   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its another example of the police using a soft option to get n conviction, nowt new yon.
Old 13-03-2013, 08:16   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its entrapment and is wrong.The guy although not the most honest of people it seems would not have stolen a laptop had it not been left unattended in a place where it was made to appear obviously abandoned.

if it had been left on a car seat and the person smashed the window to get at the laptop then fair enough but it was apparently left in a place where the thought if i dont grab it someone else will probbably entered his mind.

to me its no different than those dirt bag coppers that sit at 30mph signs exiting a 50mph zone with a speed gun

im not saying his actions were right but he was tempted by the police to commit a crime which is basically making crime which isnt their job.As for the trap cars the people have to break into them to try stealing them then they shut down after a few yards and the doors lock so by breaking in the criminal has already broken the law and proven intent to steal
They were actually trying to see if this guy took it to a fence so they could nab him too, but he didn't so they just nicked him instead

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..