Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 20:02   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

you don't have to go as far as Grassington for a Dickensian Market...Whalley has had one for years.....let's be different...a Victorian Market...hot chestnuts.....fire baked spuds....mulled wine, spiced ale(or sarsaparilla for the non drinkers). Carol singers...capes. lanterns....a whole different ambience. Knock fireworks on the head.....save the money for something else. Get local schools involved for the singing and the dancing.
Make it a night to remember.
I know it would take some planning, but we are a year away.......surely that is time enough to knock things into shape...to get people involved.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2011, 20:03   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Never mind greggs we now we have a £1 bakery to go with our wonderful card shops and phone shops and our other outstanding normal pound shops.We have no chance of offering anything like german markets etc in this town, the centre offers no big names for shopping and sadly a market which in my opinion is hanging on with its fingertips , why would people come to Accrington rather than go to bigger places such as Preston,Manchester for example?

the potential is there it just needs the powers that be to 1. realise it and 2. pull there fingers out and make it work

there seems to be so much negativity towards this town yet no-one is standing up and doing anything about it. maybe the residents should be standing together and acting rather than moaning. there is no such thing as it can't be done or it won't work only we can't be bothered to make it work.

shops and market stalls will only open and stay open if the people support them and spend their money in them. it's no good doing your weekly shop in tescos and then wondering why we haven't got any local butchers/greengrocers!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:05   #93
Beacon of light

Can't you just see it? Taste it? smell it? Feel the cosiness of it?
Tradition can be a wonderful draw.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:05   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You mention the costs of attracting high profile celebrities.

What on earth makes you think that people want whatever list of celebrity involved?

Fireman Sam & Peppa Pig along with local acts won't have reduced the numbers in Burnley & Blackburn. Both of them will still be well attended.

Was dissapointed to find out the band on stage were from Wigan, surely we have enough local bands to fill that spot and would welcome the opportunity to showcase their stuff for free.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:06   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
you don't have to go as far as Grassington for a Dickensian Market...Whalley has had one for years.....let's be different...a Victorian Market...hot chestnuts.....fire baked spuds....mulled wine, spiced ale(or sarsaparilla for the non drinkers). Carol singers...capes. lanterns....a whole different ambience. Knock fireworks on the head.....save the money for something else. Get local schools involved for the singing and the dancing.
I know it would take some planning, but we are a year away.......surely that is time enough to knock things into shape...to get people involved.

very true and i have frequented it many times.I only used grassington as an example as it has become possibly the most successful and is known and advertised nationally and is always oversubscribed!
Old 23-11-2011, 20:07   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Perfect Margaret -with the architecture as a backdrop -but it needs to be used: Town Hall, Market hall, Library, Howarth, Oakhill, Viaduct and other venues, get Ossy Mills involved -make it a weekend of culture and history ....get people in and get them spending!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:09   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Fireman Sam & Peppa Pig along with local acts won't have reduced the numbers in Burnley & Blackburn. Both of them will still be well attended.

Was dissapointed to find out the band on stage were from Wigan, surely we have enough local bands to fill that spot and would welcome the opportunity to showcase their stuff for free.

whats wrong with the sally army band or a local school choir hmmm....... there's another idea an inter school choir competition with the celebrity status that will be performing live at the xmas festival............. i'm off to ring simon cowell about the tv rights
Old 23-11-2011, 20:11   #98
Beacon of light

Yes, a sponsor like Ossy Mills would be a very useful partner in an event like that.

And getting schools involved would ensure that family members would be present at the event....after all Grandma and Grandad would be delighted to cheer on little Alfie singing some kind of solo.......and clap as little Olivia danced in her shiny clogs.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:11   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
shops and market stalls will only open and stay open if the people support them and spend their money in them. it's no good doing your weekly shop in tescos and then wondering why we haven't got any local butchers/greengrocers!
Very much chicken & egg. People won't support them if they don''t sell whats required, and business won't invest if there aren't enough potential customers to make it worthwhile.

The problem with having a retail business in Accrington is that the town is becoming a magnet for residents who spend their money on alchohol and get too much support for the stuff they shove up their noses or inject in to their blood stream.

One of the main solutions to the problem doesn't lie with the retailers, it lies with the landlords who rent out houses on an ever increasing basis to people who do the town and it's prosperity severe damage
Old 23-11-2011, 20:14   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
the potential is there it just needs the powers that be to 1. realise it and 2. pull there fingers out and make it work

there seems to be so much negativity towards this town yet no-one is standing up and doing anything about it. maybe the residents should be standing together and acting rather than moaning. there is no such thing as it can't be done or it won't work only we can't be bothered to make it work.

I use the market every saturday morning and a couple of days in the week for fruit ,veg,t cakes , cooked meat and butchers and also a bit in m&s.But the fact remains if i want to buy a shirt or a suit for example my choice is limited to burtons and originals and when your bigger than the average bear ie 52" chest originals etc only cater for callow youths .You have also only one"new" bookshop wh smith and then your into charity shops which i may add are superb for books, so i do try to do my bit but the local shops are only going to flourish if they are backed up by quality big names Next , river island etc but they dont want to come here it seems.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:14   #101
Beacon of light

Quote:
there's another idea an inter school choir competition with the celebrity status that will be performing live at the xmas festival............. i'm off to ring simon cowell about the tv rights

It used to happen in days gone by...inter school contests and very competitive they were too....all good for getting interest in the evening........and advertising......flyers,poster - schools could be involved in the design of these too.
The money that went up in smoke on fireworks could be put to good use by having prizes for the winning schools.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:15   #102
God Member

Well, I'm looking into a flight for the 1st Victorian Christmas Fayre in Accrington next year -keep me informed as to the date and events...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:18   #103
Senior Member+

And if folk do come where would they sit the council is busy taking out all the benches
Old 23-11-2011, 20:19   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Very much chicken & egg. People won't support them if they don''t sell whats required, and business won't invest if there aren't enough potential customers to make it worthwhile.

The problem with having a retail business in Accrington is that the town is becoming a magnet for residents who spend their money on alchohol and get too much support for the stuff they shove up their noses or inject in to their blood stream.

One of the main solutions to the problem doesn't lie with the retailers, it lies with the landlords who rent out houses on an ever increasing basis to people who do the town and it's prosperity severe damage
wrong. the problem is that there is less disposable income going around with job cuts and higher cost of living which is why we have to drag people in from outside and i'm sure residents and businesses alike would prefer tax money to be spent on this than the other 'worthwhile' causes that you mention
Old 23-11-2011, 20:20   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
And if folk do come where would they sit the council is busy taking out all the benches

i believe i've already raised that point and have been informed that it is in discussion

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..