Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2011, 16:41   #211
Give, give, give member

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well, of course it would get all sections of the borough attending - what would?

If you do a brass band concert, people who like brass bands go along. If you do folk music, people who like folk music go along. There really isn't one size fits all.

I guess the best you can hope for is a variety over the course of a year.

Also, and I ask this because I genuinely don't know the answer - who should a Christmas light switch on be aimed at?

The town was busy with young people but were they buying? Perhaps not! However, it got a lot of publicity in the local papers. It also was deemed a success so is more likely to be replicated and the council to continue putting money in. If it was geared more towards people who had spending power then would it have got enough people in and would it have been deemed a success?

I ask all this because I don't know what the answer is. It's one thing having an opinion about what you would like to see but you also have to consider the target market when you've decided what the target market is.
I think there might be a clue in the name, as to what theme might be explored, concerning any such event, and which should hopefully equally appeal to everyone.

'Christmas' light stwich-on.

I asked earlier, because I didn't know you were anything to do with last year's Victorian market event, what exactly is your role now?

Does this fall under the umberella of being manager of the Civic Centre, or do you now have another official position?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2011, 16:43   #212
God Member

...and Father Christmas turning up on a real sleigh with real reindeer. I would pay money to see that.
Old 24-11-2011, 16:45   #213
Senior Member+

jedimaster, you seem to be the fervent evangelist in all this but I haven't seen you commit to what you are actually prepared to do, how much time you're prepared to devote, the canvasing, phoning etc.
I'm sure I've had a go about events Gayle organised but she must be screaming reading your pontificating about who should do what without ever saying what you're prepared to do. As for Leon Kelly-he was asked to try and he did his best on a very limited budget-I'll bet if you knew how much time he spent you'd be surprised, he runs a night club so I assume no financial gain in it for him(and no, I dont know him). You'll never please all of the people all of the time.
So less of the 'What can Accrington do for me?' lets hear the 'What I will do for Accrington'.
Some people on here are too old to get involved, some have health problem but you- young, enthusiastic and apparently some spare time. You say you've done it before, lets see you do it again- for Accrington!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 16:50   #214
Give, give, give member

Quote:
However, it got a lot of publicity in the local papers.
No it didn't.

There was less press coverage for the event this year, than there has been in the past.

Or is 'a lot' creative spin?

Like stating there were 400 people involved in the flash mob dance community art event, when there clearly wasn't, and which you blamed on a misquote, until a quote was supplied, in which you'd said it on here.

By the way, the non-swimming gala on Broadway was cancelled, due to 'bad weather', has another date been set yet, or has the money set aside to fund it, been spent elsewhere?

Old 24-11-2011, 16:53   #215
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Does this fall under the umberella of being manager of the Civic Centre, or do you now have another official position?
Sort of and sort of not. If there was anything to be organised I'd probably be asked to be involved in a general Arts capacity. The role at the Civic covers arts outside of the four walls of the Civic as well.

But, as it's not strictly speaking in my remit to organise, I wouldn't do it unless asked by the council or by a committee.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 16:55   #216
God Member

Quote:
No it didn't.

There was less press coverage for the event this year, than there has been in the past.

Or is 'a lot' creative spin?

Like stating there were 400 people involved in the flash mob dance community art event, when there clearly wasn't, and which you blamed on a misquote, until a quote was supplied, in which you'd said it on here.

By the way, the non-swimming gala on Broadway was cancelled, due to 'bad weather', has another date been set yet, or has the money set aside to fund it, been spent elsewhere?
I have explained all that in previous threads. You like trawling through my past quotes to prove your point on other occasions so why don't you find it yourself?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 16:55   #217
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
. As for Leon Kelly-he was asked to try and he did his best on a very limited budget-I'll bet if you knew how much time he spent you'd be surprised, he runs a night club so I assume no financial gain in it for him(and no, I dont know him).
Totally agree.

What he was asked to do was a success, and all credit to him for doing it.

My question is to who asked him to do it, and wouldn't be even more of a success if it was less pop concert, and a more traditionally Christmassy event.

Old 24-11-2011, 17:02   #218
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have explained all that in previous threads. You like trawling through my past quotes to prove your point on other occasions so why don't you find it yourself?
Well if you have I missed it.

Which is most unlike me.

I do remember you posted you were manager of the Civic, and your position was funded until March, after which you'd be paid from any profit.

I had no idea you had any involvement with last year's Victorian Christmas event, just as I had no idea you were anyway involved with Knitty Nora's residency in the Market Hall, when I first posted how awful I thought it was.

Perhaps others missed it too.

Other than as manager of the Civic, what is your official role in the borough?

Old 24-11-2011, 17:06   #219
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You like trawling through my past quotes to prove your point on other occasions so why don't you find it yourself?
Only when've you've contradicted yourself, or claim not to have said something previously.

I already know what you've said, as I'm cursed with a good memory.

I trawl only to be helpful.

To yourself, and others, who might need actual evidence.

Give, give, give.

Old 24-11-2011, 17:13   #220
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sort of and sort of not. If there was anything to be organised I'd probably be asked to be involved in a general Arts capacity. The role at the Civic covers arts outside of the four walls of the Civic as well.

But, as it's not strictly speaking in my remit to organise, I wouldn't do it unless asked by the council or by a committee.
Well that's about as clear as mud.

Presumably you're paid to be a consultant?

As I said, I don't blame the people being asked, they're trying to do the best they can do.

I blame the lack of imagination from those who have the job of pulling the strings.

Lazy.

Old 24-11-2011, 17:23   #221
Senior Member+

Quote:
Totally agree.

What he was asked to do was a success, and all credit to him for doing it.
Then let him do it again and good luck to him.
What the posts on here are asking for is a different event-a seperate event!
I doubt he was trying to cater for the typical age group on Accyweb and I doubt he was asked to.There aren't many poster under 25-30 on here, lets remember you're old once you reach 30 and I'm a bit passed that! I would enjoy a traditional style Christmas event but someone has to give up a lot of time and energy to organise it-jedimaster sounds suitable!
But I warn any willing vounteers-be prepared to give up your spare time for a year, I organised quite a small event, it was hard work, I was proud of my team and its success but I refused to do it again-life's too short. Result- it died, none of the team were prepared to give it the commitment it needed.
If you want it doing your way-do it yourself! You probably can't leave it to HBC-time, money, staff!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:29   #222
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
...and Father Christmas turning up on a real sleigh with real reindeer. I would pay money to see that.
Aint gonna happen ... not too many problems with the sleigh, as long as it is union made ... don't know if the elves are unionised or not. But "Father Christmas" There are obvious gender issues here; and "Christmas"????? Aren't you aware that it is now "Holiday"? A neutral term, that won't offend those who openly celebrate "Eid" And real reindeer .... PETA would be on your ass if they ever found out you were even contemplating it
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:36   #223
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
the chalets were a single idea, the main point is a traditional christmas market, in whatever form it takes. an accrington christmas festival to be proud of.
But not at the expence of established traders
Old 24-11-2011, 17:37   #224
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Then let him do it again and good luck to him.
What the posts on here are asking for is a different event-a seperate event!
!
We've already been informed Leon's been asked to do it again next year, and there'll be a similar event, and that he's already asked for an increased budget.

Although the considerable cost to the public purse, of this year's event, is shrouded in mystery...so far.

There seems, at least on here, to be a question as to why a Christmas lights switch-on event, should even be connected to pop acts, and celebrity.

There does seem to be a desire for the event to be more traditionally yuletide like.

All this naff, glitzy song and dance brouhaha, is a relatively new phenomenon, and certainly isn't in anyway traditionally associated with Christmas.

Old 24-11-2011, 17:39   #225
Senior Member+

Quote:
jedimaster, you seem to be the fervent evangelist in all this but I haven't seen you commit to what you are actually prepared to do, how much time you're prepared to devote, the canvasing, phoning etc.
I'm sure I've had a go about events Gayle organised but she must be screaming reading your pontificating about who should do what without ever saying what you're prepared to do. As for Leon Kelly-he was asked to try and he did his best on a very limited budget-I'll bet if you knew how much time he spent you'd be surprised, he runs a night club so I assume no financial gain in it for him(and no, I dont know him). You'll never please all of the people all of the time.
So less of the 'What can Accrington do for me?' lets hear the 'What I will do for Accrington'.
Some people on here are too old to get involved, some have health problem but you- young, enthusiastic and apparently some spare time. You say you've done it before, lets see you do it again- for Accrington!

try reading it again! then you just might be able to answer your own question
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..